Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

94 Explorer Transmission Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 12:13 AM
Jameshuden
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 94 Explorer Transmission Help!!

I just had what I think Is about as bad as I can get when It comes to my Truck. I am driving down the road today and then for no reason the transmission slips out of gear and now when I put It In any gear It will not move. The rpms will go high but It will not move and you can hear what sounds like the gears In the transmission grinding against each other. It sounds bad but only when I try to put It In gear. I added some transmission fluid to top It off and It made It sound worse.
What should I do?? If I have to replace the transmission what should I look for and how much does a good used transmission go for?? Also Is It possible for me to change It or should I send It to a shop?

Old 09-11-2005, 03:09 AM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much fluid did you have to add to level it off?

Old 09-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Jameshuden
Senior User
It was about a half a quart low and I filled It to full. I have not done anything else to It.. I do know that just before this happened I started to get a small leak were the transmission and engine go together..

Old 09-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Jharger
Posting Guru
Sorry I was thinking of another guy. Right so you did get it running finally then.

Last edited by Jharger; 09-11-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Jameshuden
Senior User
Yes I finally got It running but now another problem. I just don't know what to do about this truck. I have now put so much money Into It that I can't give up on It. But I think the transmission Is out and I need some help on what to do and how much this could cost me? I don't know anything about the transmission In this truck...

Old 09-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Jharger
Posting Guru
Hey James. I am sorry but I have a manual trans and really no experience with the autos on these cars. From my post readings, it seems the auto trans really suck. I followed a thread where there was a front trans leak that went through 3 rebuilds and I still don't know if it got fixed. It seemed that the fellow got a trans rebuild and then it started leaking out the front. Then determined the front seal seat was not properly machined and somehow causing the seal to fail. I am not suggesting this is your problem but this is the only similiar experience I have seen reported.

Old 09-12-2005, 06:25 AM
Jameshuden
Senior User
Well thank you. Now I have some Idea of what I am up against. I just found out yesterday that the front seal Is out. Thats why I am leaking transmission fluid when It warms up but as for the transmission It seems to be shot.. I was planning on just pulling this transmission and putting In a good used one.
Now the question Is how much will It cost me and can I do It myself or should I put It In the shop?? I have never messed with 4X4..

Old 09-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Jameshuden
Senior User
I need some other advice. I have been reading In other forums that the A4LD 4sp Auto transmission has alot of problems. What I am wanting to know Is there another transmission say from a bronco or maybe a ranger that would fit Into a Explorer without any modifications so I can get away from the A4LD 4sp Auto transmission?

Old 09-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Jharger
Posting Guru
The 4x4 (transfer case) is sound on these. That shouldn't be a problem for you. The A4LD transmissions do suck, as you have found out. I have never rebuilt an auto trans, just manuals. I would think based on your motor experience, I would not recommend you to try the rebuild your self. You can probably pull it your self and then bring it to a shop - that will save you some labor costs. Full R&R rebuilds were going for about $1,200. Maybe a grand with a walk in tranny.

You should talk to afinepoint. Here's the link https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=247146
He had some other issues with overheating...that worked we through but he has this same front seal issue.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:10 PM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I've seen, I'd say the R&R on the A4LD will be about $1500-2000. Good luck trying to find a 'good' used one. '94 was the last year they used the A4LD in the Explorers.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Jharger
Posting Guru
I was just reading a spec sheet off another wb page that sadi the A4LD's were used behind the 302's in 97, 98... Is this not true?

Old 09-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Jameshuden
Senior User
Does anyone know of another transmission that would fit Into a explorer?? I have read of other people doing It but from what I read they were never to clear on what truck they were taking the transmission from I just know It was going Into a explorer and It was not from a explorer. If this transmission has so many problems and I have to change It out I don't want to put one back In that will go out a few months down the line.. I did find out that a A4LD transmission Is going for about $400 used...

Old 09-13-2005, 08:22 AM
jwirth
Senior User
Just bite the bullet, get a price from Ford on the their rebuilds. I found they were very competitive with the tranny chain places. And you get a 3 year, 30,000 mile warranty. I am happy with mine so far.
Oh, and you might as well fork out a few extra duckets for a tranny oil cooler also. Heat is a big killer of these junk *** French trannies.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:10 AM
Jameshuden
Senior User
Well thank you and I will contact Ford and see how much a rebuild will cost me.. Can you point me In the right direction for a transmission oil cooler?

Old 09-13-2005, 10:03 AM
Backin72
Senior User
I read somewhere on here that someone put a GM tranny in the Explorer.

Try and do a search to see if you can find it.

Quick Reply: 94 Explorer Transmission Help!!