Cop Car High Output 4.6L????

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 12:40 PM
77_F150_4x4
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only diffrence with the 4.6 cop engine is(until year already posted) is more cooling so it can be beat longer, and the diffrent computer. We have stripped about 6 of these cars and dropped sbcs in them, for derbys(new rules 80s+ cars).

Curtis

Old 09-26-2005, 06:29 AM
78 short
Senior User
We don't need to argue ....go to your local manicipality garage and talk to the tech for cop cars and ask before you say b/s.i don't think your upgrade failure are proof.

Old 09-29-2005, 10:32 AM
BrentKasson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The PCM's in CVPI's have been reflashed to have the engine idle higher for the high output alternators, the shift points are higher, and the speed limiter is increased, not eliminated. The engines are identical to ones used in Panther platform cars (Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, Lincoln something or another, Merc Marauder) other than the reflashed PCM. CVPI's are equipped with a tranny cooler, oil cooler, and power steering cooler. The dual exhaust/H-pipe setup found on these cars are found on civilian cars as well. Police cars get special high speed rated radial tires, heavy duty alternator, low maint. battery, heavier reinforced suspension, along with a few other goodies. Most of what makes it a "police package" is not in the engine. I have a 97 CVPI, and it's quick, but its not a sports car by any means.

Old 09-29-2005, 11:14 AM
78 short
Senior User
Thank you,for backing me on this.That's much more detail then I said but I was focusing on the engine power.

Old 09-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Onespeed24
Elder User
So, if all they did was raise the idle RPM and increase the shift points, that wouldn't make the engine put out any more power, it would just make better use of the power already available.

My brother once bought a 1989 Mustang 5.0 PI, ex-GST car. It was nothing special over a civilian version, and probably a little heavier because of all the extra crap they put on there. It sure was fast after we stripped it down and put a Steeda stroker 347 in it!!!

Old 09-30-2005, 11:13 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BrentKasson
The PCM's in CVPI's have been reflashed to have the engine idle higher for the high output alternators, the shift points are higher, and the speed limiter is increased, not eliminated. The engines are identical to ones used in Panther platform cars (Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, Lincoln something or another, Merc Marauder) other than the reflashed PCM. CVPI's are equipped with a tranny cooler, oil cooler, and power steering cooler. The dual exhaust/H-pipe setup found on these cars are found on civilian cars as well. Police cars get special high speed rated radial tires, heavy duty alternator, low maint. battery, heavier reinforced suspension, along with a few other goodies. Most of what makes it a "police package" is not in the engine. I have a 97 CVPI, and it's quick, but its not a sports car by any means.

???????.............The Marauder does not use the same 4.6 that is in the other Panther platform vehicles you've mentioned.

Old 10-01-2005, 01:45 AM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
My stealership owner friend who shops for a lot of cop cars at county auctions has had a few 4.6s in for low end knock.

The cause was from the owner using something heavier than 5-20, like 10-30 or 10-40 for some lousy reason. The galleys are quite small in the 4.6L, so thick oil is a killer. Paying attention to detail doesn't hurt in this case. He has become schooled at rebuilding an occasional 4.6L because of this.

Glad at least someone carried over details about PIs and how they don't have quadruple turbo 4.6s or some hi-po mod to them. I get tired of regurgitating them too often. Yep, the PIs are slower than civilan Vics, but you can't be a radio and felony charges for evading arrest probably stink, too. Not that I know personally, of course.

Old 10-01-2005, 06:01 AM
351cj
Junior User
Sorry people, you are somewhat misguided here, YES the 4.6 PI motor does have more HP than the standard 4.6 !! The key elements that make more power and performance are, Duel exhaust, ECU programing, high stall torque converter to name a few. Also the heavy duty suspention and cooling systems, high output alternator and other componants of that nature enhance it's reliability. Yes, the police BEAT on them so take it with a grain of salt if you will as to how long they'll last. Even the best maintained car or truck thats BEAT on everyday will fail way short of it's projected lifespan.

Old 10-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Onespeed24
Elder User
Originally Posted by 351cj
Sorry people, you are somewhat misguided here, YES the 4.6 PI motor does have more HP than the standard 4.6 !! The key elements that make more power and performance are, Duel exhaust, ECU programing, high stall torque converter to name a few.
Who's misguided here? The exhaust, and especially the torque convertyer, have NOTHING to do with the motor itself making more power. Shift points ain't got crap to do with the output of the motor. And if what was previously stated about the ECU was true, then it ain't making much power there either. Sure, if you dyno'd a PI and a civilian car with the 4.6l the PI might be making a few more ponies at the rear wheels, probably due to the exhaust, but your statement about the 4.6 PI motor having more horspower than a civilian 4.6 is misleading. The motors are identical, it's what's been added to them externally that makes the differnece in the output.
I'd even be willing to bet than any performance gains from the dual exhaust would be negated by the engine having to run the HD alternator, and all the associated coolers and everything else they pile on there.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:24 AM
78 short
Senior User
Onespeed24 you hit it on the head thank's.besides has anyone here drove a cop car.There not that fast anyways.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:07 AM
HBO1
Junior User
I have a '99 CVPI. Quite true, they are not fast by any means. Heavier cooling, heavier brakes, stiffer springs, 130 amp alternator, etc. They have a special program in them that helps deal with the dual exhaust, changes shift points and all that stuff. I really have nothing to compare it to because I have never driven anything but a new model Grand Marquis last year. The cop car is definitely much faster, but I can only say it was a weight issue. The cop car has no luxuries on it except power windows.....no carpet, no cruise control, it's pretty stripped. Has the spotlight though! With the stiff suspension, it'll go around a turn amazingly flat for the size of car and does very well at higher freeway speeds. But to put this to rest, there is nothing internally about the engine that makes it any different from any other 4.6!