1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

RH Rear Turn Signal Not Working(extra fuse box under hood)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 05:04 PM
cptslewis
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RH Rear Turn Signal Not Working(extra fuse box under hood)

Ok I have a 98 F150 std cab. MY right rear taillight is not working both turn and stoplight. I tried changing the bulb twice and checked all the applicable fuses. When that did not work i just checked all the fuses. I think that last week when i was having the rear brakes done for the first time they might have messed something up. Any ideas on where to start checking the wiring though? Also while looking at the fuses under the hood i came accross a small fuse box taped closed( and its been closed for a long time) it has space for six mini fuses in it only two of which are used a 5 and 20. The 20 was blown. I changed it and their was no change to my lights. I wondered if this was a box for maybe the towing package. Since i have got the truck 5 years ago it never worked. Any ideas?

Old 09-04-2005, 05:20 PM
cptslewis
Senior User
Alright I did a search and found out that that little fusebox IS for the tow package. Only took me five years to find it. Hope it doesnt take that long for the brakelight.

Old 09-05-2005, 10:59 AM
code_red
Senior User
Thumbs up This might help

I too was troubled with the same issue and same side, that you are having right now. I did the same things. Then i found out that it was the actaul bulb housing. Does the rest of the lights work in that side of the tail light housing? Mine had more than one, but only the brake light would'nt work.All the rest did. I found out that buy replacing the bulb housing , which can be purchased at the local ford dealer(about 10 or 20 dollars, im guessing , dont remember the actaul cost.) anyway that took care of it. The old housing was damaged . I have a 97 F150 stepside. Not sure if you have the tall tailights(regular bed) or round tailights (mostly found on stepsides and crew cab models that year). Either way there should be a housing for the bulb. Here is a picture of it and colored outlines of the area im talking about. The Red outline is the unit im refering to as the bulb housing. This can be seperated from the actaul harness itself buy pulling apart the "tabs" (in green outline) and sliding the unit out from the wiring harness. I hope this helps out, but if not than i would next check your wiring harness for snags,taring, damage, etc...

Old 09-06-2005, 08:40 AM
cptslewis
Senior User
I am going to have to check that. The reverse light still does work but neither the stop, turn or park lights work which are all done by that one bulb.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:17 PM
code_red
Senior User
Let us know how it turns out.

Old 09-22-2005, 06:37 AM
cptslewis
Senior User
Alright I finally had the time to mess with the lighting this morning. I checked the bulb sockets and they did not have power. Checked right behind the sockets and still no power. Got under the truck and traced the harness back to the tee where it goes to the left, right and tow package. At the end of the tee no power. But before it divided I had power. I had recently replaced the fused for the towing package which had been blown for years. So I decided to check the socket. WHen I peeled off the dust cover all the wires had fused together. They were really corroded. I live 100ft from the beach and work at a seaplane base so lots of salt spray on top of it getting dipped when i drop my trailer in the water.So I removed the whole socket assembly. I cut the wires for the elec brakes and 3 others. I left the wires for the signals and brake lights. These I spliced into a 4 way flat trailer connection. After doing this and rechecking my lights they started to work fine. I noticed though that it seems because of the short that the tee where everything splits off is kind of melted inside. I am going to have one ordered when I go into the ford dealership today to get my cruise control switch recall taken care of. Thanks for the help