1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Vin

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 04:18 PM
FordBroncoRanger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vin

Does anyone know of a web site that decodes a 1980 f-150 VIN Number?

Old 09-03-2005, 04:35 PM
coalminer78
Freshman User
Old 09-04-2005, 12:40 AM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Enter your VIN number and we can probably decode it for you right here.

Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts. We are glad you chose to visit our site. In order to make it easier to navigate please read the following.

Please view the main forum page to find the best forum to ask any Technical questions.

Also, below some of the titles of forums there is text that explains what the forum is either for or what shouldn't be posted in it.

Then ,Inside certain forum's there could be a Read First: thread or threads attached to the top.
Please read these threads before posting.

Please post all "items wanted" and "items for sale" in the classified section.

In Addition to the Tech Forums all user's can make their relationship closer to others by visiting & joining the State/Province Chapter that relates to their location.A complete list of Chapter's is located on the main forum page, near the bottom.

Once again...Welcome to the FTE Family

If you have mistakenly made a post you have 60 minutes to edit it.
If the 60 minutes has passed,you may contact the moderator of the forum to ask that the thread be moved to the proper forum

Old 09-04-2005, 12:48 AM
RR4E
Elder User
I would not recommend entering the VIN number of your vehical on a public forum.

With that one seemingly tiny piece of information, there are people out there who have managed to falsify documents, and claim ownership of a vehical they have never purchased. The problem with this is, there are grey area's within the law that actually allow it to happen, and you could find yourself having to turn the keys to your truck over to someone who doesn't rightfully own it, with the law on their side.

Old 09-04-2005, 01:39 AM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by RR4E
I would not recommend entering the VIN number of your vehical on a public forum.

With that one seemingly tiny piece of information, there are people out there who have managed to falsify documents, and claim ownership of a vehical they have never purchased. The problem with this is, there are grey area's within the law that actually allow it to happen, and you could find yourself having to turn the keys to your truck over to someone who doesn't rightfully own it, with the law on their side.
Wow! Never heard of this happening before. What type of documents are falsified? Transfer of ownership papers? Lien Papers? Pink slips?

As far as I knew vin numbers are public accessable. all you have to do is look through the windshield to get mine, and every other 1981 and newer vehicle. License plate is easier yet. The only way I know how to transfer ownership is for the owner and buyer to sign the pink slip.

Very scary indeed!

Sorry about hijacking the thread, but. WOW!

Old 09-04-2005, 03:15 AM
RR4E
Elder User
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
Wow! Never heard of this happening before. What type of documents are falsified? Transfer of ownership papers? Lien Papers? Pink slips?

As far as I knew vin numbers are public accessable. all you have to do is look through the windshield to get mine, and every other 1981 and newer vehicle. License plate is easier yet. The only way I know how to transfer ownership is for the owner and buyer to sign the pink slip.

Very scary indeed!

Sorry about hijacking the thread, but. WOW!
True enough that is is easily accessible, but posting it for someone to readily search it is yet another issue.

A false lien could be instated against the vehical, false previous ownership papers can be made, so many other things. The worst part is trying to get past all that in court. Eventually you will, but you won't likely get your truck back in the same condition it was in.

Old 09-04-2005, 09:30 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
You have to know what state, city, his name, color of truck and so on.

It would be much easier to get and do all of that if possible from a parking lot.

Anyway you do not need the last 5 numbers to decode one and if you post all but the last 5 or 6 numbers no body could do all of that anyway except decode it.

Old 09-04-2005, 09:39 AM
fordborn
Post Fiend

VIN numbers are so easy to get in everyday circumstances I have doubts that anyone would spend the time to try and get one from the website. Although some of those things could possibly happen, without all the info the VIN number is just one part of the puzzle.

Another alternative is to get a good manual and the info will be in there.