1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

03 Expy Fading Door Panels

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 12:59 PM
itspat
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Expy Fading door panels

I read here awhile back some posts on fading door panels on the 03 & up Expys. My service manager is giving me the runaround that he is not aware of any replacement through Ford. Does anyone have information on this?

I attempted to do several searches on this forum but kept receiving error pages.

Old 09-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Pwarrenn
Senior User
If your talking about the outside bottom platics I believe there is a TSB on this forum. Do a search for fading door plastics. With my 03 they were fading and I took it in. The dealer did not fight me at all on it, can you believe it....Have not had them replaced yet but the pieces are in, I need to schedule an appointment.....

Old 09-01-2005, 02:03 PM
itspat
Freshman User
If anyone knows the TSB on this, please post. I am having issues with the search function on this forum. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2005, 06:07 PM
Lauda
Junior User
Wrong post

Last edited by Lauda; 09-01-2005 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Matt03Expy
Tuned
@itspat: It is a warranty item provided you have less than 36K on the truck. The dealer shouldn't put up any fuss at all. I had mine replaced under warranty.

Old 09-02-2005, 07:49 AM
mrung0wa
Junior User
Wink

I had mine replaced under warranty just last June. They even replaced the one that I discolored with Superclean!
There is a TSB on them!
Tell your service advisor that you want to talk to the service Manager.
Tell the Service Mgr that you will notify FORD of your unprofessional experience and that you were even lied too by the service Mgr.
That ought to light a fire under there butts!
REMEMBER those idiots are there to serve you!
Good luck!
Lawrence

Old 09-02-2005, 09:25 AM
itspat
Freshman User
Thanks for the post. The dealer took care of it and luckily they had replacements in stock. They had to send a digital into Ford HQ for approval. I have the TSB on my receipt if anyone needs it.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:31 AM
powderhounder
Freshman User
I took my '03 in because several of the panels are discoloured. The service adviser looked at it and said he only see's two that need to be replaced so that's all he is going to order. I argued that they won't match unless they change all of them, but he wouldn't budge. When they come in next week I'll have to see how they look, and I guess if they don't match I will be fighting with the service manager to get them all changed.

Old 10-20-2005, 09:07 AM
GRB1
Freshman User
I just had the body panels on my 03 Expy replaced for fading. Ford has a TSB and a body panel kit for this problem. The dealer didn't give me a hard time at all about the replacement, in fact they replaced my whinning rear gear assembly with a new ring and pinion, clutch pack, and shims in addition to the body panels!!

The dealer did only replace the panels along the doors as the other ones were in good condition. My new ones do match the original panels around the front and rear as they do not seem to have any fading issues.

Old 10-20-2005, 09:34 AM
ExpyBob
Senior User
TSB 04-17-7

09/06/04

EXTERIOR DOOR TRIM MOULDINGS FADING -
TITANIUM AND PLATINUM ONLY

FORD:
2003-2004 Expedition

ISSUE
Some 2003-2004 Expedition XLT vehicles, (excluding Eddie Bauer models), built 2/1/2003 to 12/31/2003 may exhibit the front and rear exterior door trim and fender extension moldings (cladding) fading.

ACTION

Replace all cladding on all four (4) doors and fender extensions. All cladding supplied in the Service Kit must be installed to prevent color mismatch and continued fading.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Clean off the area below the character line and above the cladding. Remove dirt as necessary.

2. Apply protective tape (minimum width 1") directly above the molding. This will prevent scratches when moving the tool along the cladding to release (pop up) the cladding retaining clips.

NOTE PAINTING WILL NOT BE APPROVED FOR THIS REPAIR.

3. Using Trim Removal Tool (OTC-4489), open the door and begin to pop up the nine (9) retaining clips across the top of the cladding and the four (4) across the bottom. Once the cladding has been removed from the body, remove the protective tape.

4. Install the new part (retaining clips are included on the new part). Repeat the repair on the remaining doors.

5. Remove the two (2) screws that attach the fender extensions.

NOTE RETAIN THE SCREWS AS THEY WILL BE REUSED.

6. Install the new fender extensions reusing the original screws.

7. Return the vehicle to the customer.

Old 10-21-2005, 08:14 AM
Hollowpoint
Freshman User
Yep, I just has mine replace a few days ago. My truck looks new again. Didn't have a problem getting the dealer to replace. They even found 2 other problems and just went ahead and fixed them for me. All under warranty.

Old 10-27-2005, 11:32 AM
powderhounder
Freshman User
I had the two panels replaced today and they clearly don't match. I complained to the service manager and he said they must have ordered the wrong parts. He double checked and said they had the right parts and I would basically have to live with it! I asked him if he regularly checks TSB's and he said of course. When I asked if there was a TSB for this matter he said he has never heard of a TSB for trim items, only mechanical. When I pushed the issue he said if it would make me happy he would check the computer, and sure enough there was the TSB. He then grilled me wanting to know how I knew there was a TSB available. He apologized and ordered the complete replacement set of panels and will put them on next week. Why is it you have to know more than the guys working on your vehicle? It was only because of this web site that I was able to get things resolved.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:38 AM
FHBrian
Junior User
Sounds like it is more about your dealer than Ford. When my truck was a week old someone hit me on the Interstate and luckily the only damage was to drivers side mouldings and running board. They were replaced and then the others starting fading 6 months later. When I found the TSB on here and took it to my dealer he took the pictures and I told him which ones had been replaced and he said no big deal he will replace all 8 so there is no question whether they will match. Find a new dealer.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:32 PM
MANONEGRA
New User
where any of this cars in warranty because i have an 03 expedition with the same problem but i dont have warranty

Old 12-21-2006, 06:41 PM
powderhounder
Freshman User
Mine was under warranty. I don't think they will do anything if you are out of warranty, but you should try.

Quick Reply: 03 Expy Fading Door Panels