New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emissions

Old 09-12-2002, 02:27 PM
les79f150
New User
emissions

I have purchased a 1979 f150 with a 351m engine. I live in a area that has emissions testing and they are telling me that I need to have a smog air pump asembly on my truck. I need to first know what it looks like, second what parts are needed, and third any diagrams or pictures that will allow me to install it.:-staun

Old 09-12-2002, 02:43 PM
76supercab
Senior User
emissions

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-Sep-02 AT 03:45 PM (EST)]The smog pump is a centrifugal air pump that pumps air into the exhaust stream to allow the combustion process to complete in the exhaust stream. There is an associated manifold that routs the air to the exhaust manifolds (or the exhaust ports on the heads). It is about the size of a power steering pump.

Old 09-13-2002, 03:05 AM
DailyDriver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
emissions

>I have purchased a 1979 f150 with a 351m engine. I live in
>a area that has emissions testing and they are telling me
>that I need to have a smog air pump asembly on my truck.

Is this a recent purchase from a private party? What area do you live in? The reason I ask is because in Ca. you may have some legal recourse if someone sold you a vehicle without the required smog equipment. It's the law. Check in your area about this.

Smog componets can be quite expensive. Unless money is no object, I would suggest going to the wrecking yard and look for a same year truck and take the componets off of it if your planing to do this yourself. That way you can see first hand how it all hooks up. It can be somewhat complacated with all the vacuum hoses and all. Take a pad and pencil.

The local library should have some auto manuals that will have some drawings. You can also get a repair manual but I have found these leave a lot to be desired when it comes to smog equipment. I found the library a better source of information. There are some others on this board that may be able to help with better repair manuals or drawings. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2002, 12:47 AM
les79f150
New User
emissions

Thanks for the info guys. I made a trip to the library and found some info. I also have found a complete assembly at a junk yard. Now just waiting for it to be shipped. I live in Milwaukee and they are getting more and more strick. As of this year any vehicle 1968 and newer has to pass an emissions test.