1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

1999 Ranger stuck in 4x4 Hi

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 01:15 PM
fastball25
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Ranger stuck in 4x4 Hi

Hi, I'm new to these boards and I have tried searching for a resolution to my problem, but I can't find what I'm looking for. I have a '99 Ranger XLT 4x4 SC with 124,000 miles on it. The Truck has been great except for 4WD. I had been told it was a good idea to run 4WD every month to keep it work for when you need it most. Well, it has been a DRY summer around here and I finally had a chance to use it on wet roads this morning. I have had problems in the past with the system not engaging or the lights just blinking at me when I attempted to turn it on. Well, this morning it took a little longer than normal, but it went into 4x4 HI. When I tried to switch it out it did nothing. I even tried the proper steps for 4x4 LO and nothing. So, now I'm stuck in 4x4 HI and don't know what to do. I will say that the front wheels don't seem to be getting the same power as the rear wheels when I get on it, but I can tell that there is extra drag on the car (the gearing is engaged). Can someone please help me with this? I drive 35 miles on a highway every day and I don't think it will be good to continue driving with 4WD engaged. My ABS light has been on for 2 months now, but I can live without ABS. I want the 4WD to work properly.

Old 08-16-2005, 06:49 PM
rebturtle
Mountain Pass
With the ignition on, and after pressing the "4x2" button, crawl under the truck and give the electronic solonoid a love tap with a hammer, pair of pliers, jack handle, etc. Just a tap, you don't have to try to dent it or beat it. You should hear it move into gear. Usually this is a cold-related issue. The transfer case solonoid on my father-in-law's Explorer in Montana has this problem from time to time.

If you're not sure what it looks like, it's about the size of a 1-quart bottle hanging off the back of your transfer case. Inside is a coil with a plunger that moves in & out to change gears. Occasionally the plunger gets stuck & needs a little help budging loose. This of course is why I firmly beleive in manual shift T-cases.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-17-2005, 10:49 AM
fastball25
New User
Well, the truck end up out of 4x4 HI when I left work yesterday, however I kind of get the feeling that part of the system is engaged. There is a lot more drivetrain noise, but I know the front wheels aren't being powered. Both of my 4x4 (HI and LO) lights flash 6 times every 2 minutes. Is there a quick way to read the computer and tell what the problem is or do I have to take it in some where to get looked at?