Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2005, 12:18 AM
New User

jbx119 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The steering wheel is locked in place

Well I let my buddy borrow my truck (98 F-150 4x4) to go pick up a set of tires for his car and after getting them he tried to go start the truck and the steering wheel locked into place. He couldn't even get the key to turn. Well I went down to where he was and I tried juiggling the steering wheel back and forth to see if it would release but alas it failed. I have no idea what the problem is. I mean the wheels are straight and it is on a level surface. If any one could help me out it would be most apreciated.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:53 AM
Internet Brands

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 08-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Post Fiend

captain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud of
Did you try turning the wheel slighty to the right or left and turning the key at the same time? Sometimes when they lock its hard to get them unlocked.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:34 PM
New User

tried it with no luck
Old 08-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Post Fiend

captain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud of
hmm.. i don't know what to tell ya. I'm sure someone that's had this problem will be along though. good luck!
Old 08-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Postmaster

BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.BrianA has a great reputation on FTE.
Hmmm...
Every time I have had or seen this happen it was due to the steering wheel having pressure applied when the vehicle was parked and the ignition turned off.
Jiggling the steering wheel would not solve the problem. I had to pull the wheel in the direction opposite of the tension, and hold it there while turning the key.
But, if that ain't what's wrong, I have no idea.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:02 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianA
Hmmm...
Every time I have had or seen this happen it was due to the steering wheel having pressure applied when the vehicle was parked and the ignition turned off.
Jiggling the steering wheel would not solve the problem. I had to pull the wheel in the direction opposite of the tension, and hold it there while turning the key.
But, if that ain't what's wrong, I have no idea.

Yeah, thats what i was trying to say, lol.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:15 PM
New User

I was told that the ignition may have went out of it. So it looks like I may have to replace it.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:25 AM
Postmaster

bigdaddyII is a name known to allbigdaddyII is a name known to allbigdaddyII is a name known to allbigdaddyII is a name known to allbigdaddyII is a name known to allbigdaddyII is a name known to all
Funny thing is that I have the same problem, not with the steering wheel, but it seems that everytime I let one of my friends borrow something of mine, it always comes back with something broke. And the excuse is always the same......"The damn thing just did this or that".
Old 08-15-2005, 07:56 AM
Elder User

lardman is starting off with a positive reputation.
This would happen in my 00 f150, especially if I parked on an incline. I had to rock back in fourth in the drivers seat to get the truck rocking and on the uphill-stroke, turn the wheel a bit and the ignition at the same time. Once I had to get out and push the thing forward, hold it, and reach in to turn the ignition. I know it sounds crazy but it worked. Hopefully you haven't done anything drastic yet. Give it a try.
Dk Torr Red w/ Sil
Built 12/15/03
Old 09-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Freshman User

FordFrenzy97 is starting off with a positive reputation.
same thing happened to me bad ignition switch
Old 09-15-2005, 01:03 AM
New User

Yeah it is all fixed now they had to replace the ignition switch and everything I was none to happy when I found out the cost $250 I felt raped.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:03 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
2003, f350, locked, steering, wheel