1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Wiper Switch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 07:50 PM
rshad
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wiper Switch Problems

I have been having problems with my windshield wiper switch. When I push on the botton on the end of the switch it does not always work. And my intermitant seems a little off sometimes too. I think the switch just needs a little cleaning but I can't figure out how to take the swicth apart. It is on the column with the turn signals. Has anyone else had this happen to them? And if so what did you do to fix it. Does anyone know how to take the swicth apart?

Ron

Old 08-12-2005, 08:31 PM
gfreek
Senior User
Some people do take them apart and clean them, I decided to just replace mine, it's called a multifunction switch

Old 08-12-2005, 08:39 PM
rshad
Junior User
Is it alot of work to get the switch off? I can't seem to figure out how it comes off. And do you remember around how mutch the switch cost.

Thanks, Ron

Old 08-12-2005, 08:49 PM
gfreek
Senior User
Actually replacing the switch is pretty easy. I don't quite remember how much is was, maybe 60 or 70 $$, not sure. Do a search here on multifunctions switch, and there might be instructions. You have to remove top and bottom covers from the steering column, remove screws holding the switch and unplug connector. It may also be recommended to disconnect the battery.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:58 PM
cwgoff
Junior User
Rshad,

Taking the switch apart and cleaning it is pretty easy to do and could very well solve your problem. I was having similar symptoms about a year ago. I cleaned my switch based on some instructions I found here on FTE and I have had no problems since. I would definitely recommend trying that before forking over money for a replacement. It will only cost you about 15 minutes and a few squirts of Brakleen.

Here is the procedure from the other thread that I found. Thanks to AjRagno for this info. It helped me a lot.

It's the multifuntion switch. I've been through this on my truck as well. It's the electrical contacts inside the switch that are at issue here.

The fix is pretty simple:

-Pop the cap off the end of the lever with your finger nail.

-Remove the phillips head screw.

-Pull everything out and spray all metal contacts with plenty of "Brakeleen." The stuff in the red can works well for cleaning.

It's not too tricky. The parts only go back in the way they were originally installed, so you can't mis-assemble it unless you try.

The 1st time I cleaned mine, I used electrical contact cleaner.... That fix only lasted about a week. The last time, I used Brakeleen and it's been working properly for about a year and 1/2. Don't over-tighten the screw tho

Old 08-13-2005, 11:10 AM
rshad
Junior User
Thanks for the info.
Took apart the switch and cleaned, all works great now. I thought the switch came apart but I could not figure it out until you guys told me about the cap. had to use a razor blade to start removing mine. To look at the end of the switch you can't tell that it comes apart like that.

Thanks again,
Ron

Old 10-02-2005, 01:02 PM
fordmanss12
Mountain Pass
tried this myself but it's my high beams that aren't working so this didn't help much. If I pull them into the flash-to-pass position the high beams come on fine, but pushing the switch forwards does nothing. Any ideas? Will I have to replace the switch?

thx

edit: btw it's a 1998 F150 XLT 4x4SCSB

thx

Last edited by fordmanss12; 10-02-2005 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:00 PM
fordmanss12
Mountain Pass
anyone experienced this before? How hard is it to change the switch?