Starter grounding?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 09:19 PM
S.N.A.F.U
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter grounding?

Ok I have a 85 f-250 4x4 with a 72 302.I recentley went out to crank the truck over(not running currentley).and it would not crank,just a click the warning lights on the dash would go out,and nothing re-turn the key and and click nothin.It does this with the starter out and when you ground out the starter solenoid.The power wire to the starter also will get warm if the key is held.I have ran all new power wires,cleaned all ground connections,ran a ground strap from the starter solenoid mount to the starter mount,changed batteries,new starter and solenoid.It almost seems like the power wire to the starter is grounding out.The starter sonection is not touching anything and I can see no where it is grounding.I have spent literally 8+ hours over the last couple days and cant figure it out.Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,684 Likes on 1,360 Posts
It does this with the starter out and when you ground out the starter solenoid.
I don't quite understand the above statement, but I would not worry too much about grounds to the solenoid(starter relay). So long as the starter relay makes a clicking sound, it has a good enough ground.

The most important grounds are at point #2 and point #4 in the diagram above. These need to be clean and well connected.

Do you have a meter or testlight? If you do, we can do some testing and find out where the problem is exactly.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:26 AM
S.N.A.F.U
Freshman User
Yes I have a multi-meter and the solenoid is definetley well grounded.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,684 Likes on 1,360 Posts
OK. Put your meter on a dc scale to read 12 volts, and put the + lead on point #1 and the - lead on point #2. You should have something around 12 volts.

While keeping the meter there, try to start the truck. If the voltage goes to zero, there is something wrong with the battery or the battery connections. If the voltage stayed up near 12 volts, then let's move to the next point.

Leave the - lead of the meter on point #2, and move the + meter lead to point #3. If the voltage drops to zero when you try to crank the truck, then you have a bad + battery cable, or there may be something wrong at point #3 connection. If it was 12 volts, then let's move to the next point.

Leave the - of the meter of #2, and move the + meter lead to point #6. Try to start the truck, and if the voltage goes to zero, there is something wrong with the starter relay.

This next one will be a little bit tough, but it would be nice to be able to test point #7 the same way. If you get zero at point #7, then the cable from the relay to the starter is bad. You could also test this by getting a jumper cable, and put one end on the battery +, and touch the other end to point #6. The starter should crank(make sure you are in park or neutral for this test).

If you are getting 12 volts everywhere in the above tests, and it still won't start, it must be a bad ground. Put your - meter lead on a shiny place on the engine block. Put the + meter lead on point #1. Try to crank the engine. If the voltage goes to zero, then your battery negative lead has a problem either on the battery end or the block end at point # 4. If you still get 12 volts with this test, then I would suspect there may be crud between the starter and the bellhousing, not letting the starter ground properly. I have actually had this happen to me before, but I happen to notice it sparking under there when it was trying to start. I had just replaced the engine.

Old 08-12-2005, 02:47 PM
S.N.A.F.U
Freshman User
Thanks alot for your help.I had performed all the test you listed already and everything came back good.It ended up being that the flywheel cover was very rough and uneveven on the right side so I corrected it and the starter cranks fine.Thanks alot!I knew it would be somethin real odball.