Sponsored by:

suspension lift for F250

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Ford_250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suspension lift for F250

I'm looking at doing a suspension lift for a fwd 250. im thinkin along the lines of a 4inch lift. any suggestions or tips that would make the whole buying and assembly process easier thanks.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:50 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Thread moved to "Offroad and 4x4". Probably get more answers to your question here.

What year is the F-250?

Thanks

Old 08-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Ford_250
Junior User
I had never thought about adding it to this section.

Last edited by Ford_250; 08-07-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Ford_250
Junior User
thanks never done this before so i need all the help i can get

Old 08-08-2005, 11:08 AM
RawPower
Postmaster
You can edit your post so you dont double post.

What year
do a search for "front shackle reversal" and "Rear shackle flip"
Go to www.sky-manufacturing.com and look at the previously mentioned stuff there. Id build it myself though. Do a search

Old 08-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Lou Braun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Assuming that your F-250 is a '96 or earlier, a 4" lift is probably the easiest lift to install and will not cause drivability or vibration problems.

First off, I'd look at an F-250 liek yours that has a lift installed so that you know what you will have to do. If you are happy with the 4" lift (fits 35" tires OK), then check out the kits made by the different manufacturers. Go with a quality kit that includes *every* part that you will need to do the lift. Skyjacker and Superlift make decent kits and would be a good place to start looking.

Lou Braun

Old 08-08-2005, 06:18 PM
RawPower
Postmaster
He can fit 35" tires already if he shims his front bumper. I did. Only I have a ranchhand, not shims...

Old 08-08-2005, 11:10 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RawPower
He can fit 35" tires already if he shims his front bumper. I did. Only I have a ranchhand, not shims...
ditto

are you going to be doing the work or you gonna pay someone? if you are gonna do the work get under your truck and find all the points on your frame that your suspension contacts. these are the points you will be most familiar with. it's not hard by any stretch of the imagination, it just takes time

-cutts-

Old 08-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Ford_250
Junior User
im doing the work myself. i looked up those reverse shackles mentioned. i like'em but whats wrong with just putting blocks in with bigger u-bolts.i was looking at my suspension and it wouldn't be that hard. i have the cab and bed off my truck so it is pretty easy to work on. as previously mentioned i have no idea whats good and whats not.

Old 08-09-2005, 03:52 PM
RawPower
Postmaster
Well, Ill be the first to inform you that 1) Body Lifts are from Hell. 2) blocks are akin to body lifts.

Blocks create nasty axle wrap and wheel hop. All you need to know is that those are bad and only fixed by ladder bars. You want the shackle flips or leaves for the rear, but never blocks. Blocks would be the same cost anyways... might as well get hte better option. If youre doing a 4" you will be able to get 38's in there no problem. I could fit 38's right now (my truck is just leveled) but not without rubbing, however.

Old 08-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Ford_250
Junior User
if i go with the shackle flips what do i do for the front to get a lift. can i block the front with no problems or back to the drawing board?

Old 08-09-2005, 04:28 PM
GreenSubmarine
Elder User
Blocks in the front are dangerous - please don't do that. What will you be doing with the truck? Is it a tow rig? Trail rig? Mud truck only? Daily driver? Will you be hauling much? While shackle flips for the rear work well for light duty applications they have to be given more consideration when applied to a heavy duty working truck. Tell us more about your intended uses and we'll offer more help.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:30 PM
brokebronco
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ford_250
im doing the work myself. i looked up those reverse shackles mentioned. i like'em but whats wrong with just putting blocks in with bigger u-bolts.i was looking at my suspension and it wouldn't be that hard. i have the cab and bed off my truck so it is pretty easy to work on. as previously mentioned i have no idea whats good and whats not.
Did he just say blocks for the front?

Alright fishy, feel free to point out the search feature located on here, this time I will be in full agreement. Whoa....front blocks. Somebody who likes to type needs to school this guy.

Chris

Old 08-09-2005, 05:03 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
lol. well you can put blocks in the front but dont you dare drive down in the south east! i wanna live and i am sure most folks do! it is extremely dangerous mainly b/c it is a steer axle. on the back it doesnt see near the lateral forces the front does b/c it doesn't steer (on a standard light duty pickup truck). therefore if you have a truck thats lifted with 3" blocks on all 4 corners and you take a curve too hard the blocks could literally flop over. that is VERY VERY bad b/c then all the suspension components up front come loose and when you hit the brakes your axle may stop but not before the front of your frame is sliding across the pavement proll causing you to flip end over end.

your best bet for the front is new springs. you can also add a leaf or a coil spacer for a lot cheaper but you might as well do it right the first time. if it were my truck and it doesn't see much towing this is what i would do:

~shackle FLIP the rear. (adds 3-4" to your ride height depending on length of shackle and angle of shackle)
~shackle REVERSE the front. (you can usually choose which height you want)
~loose the blocks out back and put the shortest block you can get away with... ie instead of using a 4" stock block get the shackle flip and add a 1" block)

-cutts-

Old 08-09-2005, 05:06 PM
GreenSubmarine
Elder User
Hey Chris! I don't like to type so I gave the 10 second version of the "you're gonna kill yourself and everyone around you" speil. I'm sure fishy or KO will pipe up soon. Btw, do you have either one of the 60s in and running yet?

On edit: Fishy's quick!!!

Ernie

Quick Reply: suspension lift for F250