2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame replacement worries

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 12:29 AM
motodave
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frame replacement worries

Short story first, My wife wrecked the 04F150 super crew and insurance had the body shop replace the frame and variuos other body work fix. How worried would you be on resale now or down the road? I've had the truck back now for 3 days and have personally found 3 major things wrong which I corrected,bed not straight on frame, steering wheel shuddering ( loose steering shaft) , and front bumper bolts not tight. I work on motorcycles for a living and we do replace frames at times and it is a big job with hidden adventures sometimes appearing and requiring insurance supplements,but what do you all think about frame replacements in general? should I get rid of the truck or tough it out? The body shop has a lifetime warranty on any repairs done to the truck. Thanks in advance for any comments. Motodave

Old 08-07-2005, 07:33 AM
hardcase72
Freshman User
If you have a LIFETIME warranty and you think the SHOP will be around longer then the truck I dont really see what you have to worry about! Since the wife already "BROKE" it in for you, you wont be so sick the next time someone bangs a shopping cart into it!

Besides even if you try to sell it, now or later you'll have to GIVE the thing away with all the FORD DEALERSHIP specials on new vehicles (employee pricing). Them dealerships are screwing all us used/previous new car and truck owners.

Wont be able to get squat for our used cars, and the only options will be hang on to it or trade it in for next to nothing! (oh wait, just what the dealership wants!!!!)

Old 08-07-2005, 08:09 AM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
First off, sorry about your truck. Aside from the oversights you mentioned, do you think the repair job was done well? A frame is just like any other part and if it done well, you will still have a good truck. As you know, it is a huge undertaking, and you will probably have to take it back to the shop to have little things corrected. Does it drive well with no vibrations? Keep it if you still feel good about it, but if the thrill is gone, sell it or trade it in. IMO, ethically (and probably legally, but I am not sure) you should disclose the past damage, especially to an individual, and this will, of course, affect the value. It is what it is, a truck that has been through something major, that a similar truck has not. Hardcase is right on about the resale anyway, so you probably just need to try to fall in love with it all over again and put this episode behind you.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Powerdude
Elder User
Originally Posted by hardcase72
Besides even if you try to sell it, now or later you'll have to GIVE the thing away with all the FORD DEALERSHIP specials on new vehicles (employee pricing). Them dealerships are screwing all us used/previous new car and truck owners.

Wont be able to get squat for our used cars, and the only options will be hang on to it or trade it in for next to nothing! (oh wait, just what the dealership wants!!!!)

Basic economics 101.

You have to move product at a profit to stay in business.

The more supply there is of a product, the lower the price of that product. Simple economics.

How EXACTLY are dealerships screwing previous new car owners? By selling new cars/trucks at lower prices?

Dealerships have to make money to stay in business. Ford has to make money to stay in business. Once you've bought a car/truck from them, your car's value is not their responsability or concern. It's value is dictated by market forces such as supply and demand.

Would you rather Ford go out of business so that the value of YOUR truck rises after you bought it?

Old 08-07-2005, 11:32 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
In Oregon that damage has to be disclosed, and will probably show up on a carfax report as well.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:46 PM
hardcase72
Freshman User
Talking

Originally Posted by Powerdude
Basic economics 101.

You have to move product at a profit to stay in business.

The more supply there is of a product, the lower the price of that product. Simple economics.

How EXACTLY are dealerships screwing previous new car owners? By selling new cars/trucks at lower prices?
You actually hit the NAIL on the head, Supply and DEMAND! And the supply is overflowing! The used car lot's in OHIO are FILLED! And so are others across the USA. The profit is so small on new cars and trucks at the dealerships, the only way to stay in business is to sell MORE CARS. I understand the dealership isnt purposely screwing us, I just think that in 2-4 years Ford/Chysler/GM are going to be in real trouble with the rising medical cost (12-20% annually)for employess and the higher costs of raw materials also with rising interest rates and gas prices, cars may depriciate faster then ever! With out a doubt, a vehicle is NOT AN INVESTMENT!

But where getting off subject. The bottom line, I sold a 1999 supercab F-250 v-10 4x4 in Great condition 10 months ago and was lucky to get $13K for it. (book 16K) If you decide to sell your vehicle, you'll END up taking a BIG HIT!

And basically the repair should be 99% as new, if not bring that issue up with the SHop and or your insurance co.

If $$$ isnt an issue and you just want to sell it to get rid of it........ let me start the bidding at $4500 (j/k)

Old 08-07-2005, 02:29 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
If the body shop you used was the preferred shop of the insurance company and they sent you there, the guarantee is binding on both the body shop and the insurance company as long as you own the vehicle. If the body shop fails or goes out of business, you are still protected. Just keep your paperwork. The replacement frame is not an issue other than it will show up on Carfax and you need to disclose it. However, it will be better disclosing that it was replaced than repaired.

Old 08-07-2005, 05:50 PM
JohnBoy2
Senior User
hardcase72,

I don't really worry about resale value, because I keep my trucks a long time.

I figure after 20 yrs and 200,000 miles it will be:
A. Worth about $500.00
B. A classic, like the '69 Charger, and worth $50,000.00

Either way, today's new truck prices won't affect the value much after 20 yrs.

John

Old 08-08-2005, 12:35 AM
motodave
New User
Thanks for the replies guys, Yes this was THE truck for life for me,but with the accident I just havent felt good about this repair. Except today I put 500 miles on it and it performed flawlessly, even taking it to the beach and ran it through the dunes. worked great!! I think this might have to be a keeper, possibly give it to my wife and buy a new one.The insurance people did recommend this shop and they do have lifetime warranty, I will definently keep all paper work concerning repairs. Thanks

Old 08-08-2005, 02:41 AM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Smile

Hey motodave, glad your truck performed flawlessly. Sounds like you do have a keeper there. Look at it this way, your truck has just been professionally reassembled stem to stern with every component evaluated. It is still all Ford and sounds like still a good one. Good luck!

Old 08-08-2005, 08:54 AM
bcjim
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Powerdude
Basic economics 101.

Dealerships have to make money to stay in business. Ford has to make money to stay in business. Once you've bought a car/truck from them, your car's value is not their responsability or concern. It's value is dictated by market forces such as supply and demand.

Would you rather Ford go out of business so that the value of YOUR truck rises after you bought it?
Well it should be their concern if they want me to buy with any sort of frequency. The problem is they are selling them for more than they are worth, so people are "upside down" forever and if they want another new one they have to BRING MONEY to trade it in thus increasing the amount they overpaid for the overvalued vehicle in the first place.

Its not basic economics 101 because peoples emotions get involved, they have gotta have that new truck. But then they are stuck and they cant buy the next one.

I have a friend in the rental car business, the buying and reselling end of it. He says he cannot tell me what they buy new cars for but that it would make me sick to my stomach...The point is when its just a business transaction the price is a lot closer to the worth of the commodity.

Old 08-08-2005, 09:54 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bcjim
Well it should be their concern if they want me to buy with any sort of frequency. The problem is they are selling them for more than they are worth, so people are "upside down" forever and if they want another new one they have to BRING MONEY to trade it in thus increasing the amount they overpaid for the overvalued vehicle in the first place.
The market determines what something is worth (per Econ. 101). People are "upside down" in their vehicles because they didn't bring enough money up front. If you're going to be "upside down", you probably shouldn't buy that vehicle until you can really afford it. If you do, you need to be sure and buy gap insurance that will pay the difference between what you owe and what the vehicle is worth in case it is totaled or stolen. This is especially true in leases because you are always "upside down" in the early part of a lease.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:02 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
re:Leases. Typically, the only time you're even is the day you turn it in.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:33 AM
519DVX
Mountain Pass
[QUOTE=osbornk]People are "upside down" in their vehicles because they didn't bring enough money up front. If you're going to be "upside down", you probably shouldn't buy that vehicle until you can really afford it. QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. People have the choice to buy the truck or not. If your budget is for a $15,000 vehicle, then you shouldn't be driving anything worth more than $15,000. People are "upside down" because they want to be, it's not forced on them.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:55 AM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Smile

Geewillikers guys, we're running a little far afield with all this talk of leasing, upside down, economics 101, and credit blunders of society at large, don't you think?

Quick Reply: Frame replacement worries