6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Truck back from Ford, Not happy.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 05:22 AM
dogdude2003
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck back from Ford, Not happy.

Here's the rundown of what I told them and what got done:

1. Recalls for FICM harness. Complete
2. Recall for Charge air cooler duct. Complete
3. Customer complains that CEL is on interm, blowing black smoke, feels like turbo is not boosting properly diesel diag. code p0603. Test drove vehicle 26944 to 26963, root cause unknown and no info avail at this time.
(They did nothing, except reset the CEL and spill coffee all over my center console.) By the way...this is NOT what I told them about the turbo and the smoke. See my post on "Hill Climb, Hot EGT issue"
4. Air Conditioner - customer states ac is making a thumping noise. Attach oasis, concern may be normal. AC performace test, ambient 100 degrees, high 235pis low?
5. Parking brake sticking, to the floor, etc. (not what I told them, again) appears to be fixed.
6. Dealer decided not to flash with latest flash due to other customer complaints about surging and other problems with this recall flash. Newer flash coming out soon, placed on "list".

Can someone tell me what diesel diag code p0603 is?
My truck is running good stock...however my EDGE Attitude is still causing the truck to blow smoke and engine to struggle on a hill with high egt's and other issues when attached, even in "stock" mode. I'm thinking the Edge is defective...or has a problem with it's defueling software?

Old 07-29-2005, 07:09 AM
RoyC
Senior User
Your message header say youir vehicle is back from "Ford". I suspect that it is back from your local dealership not Ford. The biggest problem getting trucks repaired is finding a good diesel tech to work on the truck. It appears you have some work to do in this area.

Sorry about your problems.

RoyC

Old 07-29-2005, 08:25 AM
"Luke" SdeS
Elder User
> Fm Roy <
> Your message header say youir vehicle is back from "Ford". I suspect that it is back from your local dealership not Ford. <
Good point, for it is important to be accurate when making comments. It may be petty, but a clear and specific comment simply leads to better and more "on point" responses.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:39 AM
juniorf350
Senior User
neither of you made any attempt to help. instead you just badger him about his message header for this is petty.

heres what the code means .
<!--StartFragment -->

P0603 Powertrain Control Module KAM Test Error</PRE>

</PRE>

Old 07-29-2005, 10:51 AM
dogdude2003
Senior User
Too funny...they badgered me over something petty...which they indicate is petty and by all accounts....is petty....and yet *they* were.....petty.

Thanks for the help Junior

Old 07-29-2005, 11:15 AM
jackofalltrades
Posting Guru
DodgeDude, So you say that with the Edge removed, all is well? Is there a particular setting with the Edge that brings on the symptoms or just reinstalling it makes the truck run bad? Does it run OK with just an SCT tune?

I don't run any sort of tuner, so I'm no expert, Not at all. Just curious at your expense... If the above is true, then I'd figure that the Edge module has a problem. I'd call them to get some troubleshooting information.

-And I'd stay away from that stealership. Any service department that allows mechanics to drink coffee in a customers vehicle is not worth my money.

-Steve

Old 07-29-2005, 11:47 AM
dogdude2003
Senior User
Steve: I think it's the Edge and I've already contacted them...waiting for a response.

That stealership is one of two within a 100 miles and it was my second choice. The first one is just as bad...if not worse...it's a Mercury dealer... I'd have to drive 3 hours to go anywhere else.

Old 07-29-2005, 12:04 PM
csramsey640
Senior User
po603 is Powertrain control module Keep alive memory error, i think your on to something with the edge

Old 07-29-2005, 12:14 PM
dogdude2003
Senior User
What exactly does, "powertrain control module keep alive memory error" mean?

Old 07-29-2005, 12:25 PM
csramsey640
Senior User
its a code ford created to let "smart" dealers aware of the fact the vehicle, pcm, etc has been modified. Your Edge unit set the code. Not that its not working properly, but the pcm has recognized it not being norm, and bam set the code.

Old 07-29-2005, 12:28 PM
dogdude2003
Senior User
The SCT didn't set the code?

Old 07-29-2005, 03:29 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by csramsey640
its a code ford created to let "smart" dealers aware of the fact the vehicle, pcm, etc has been modified. Your Edge unit set the code. Not that its not working properly, but the pcm has recognized it not being norm, and bam set the code.
The code is not to *alert* a dealer, or Ford, to the presence of an aftermarket device. It is simply a code thrown any time the CAnetwork has lost power or residual memory for any number of reasons.

This code proves nothing. The dealer is more than welcome to infer what they may from its presence, but as for being acutal evidence of an aftermarket device, it won't cut it.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:30 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by dogdude2003
The SCT didn't set the code?
Yes, the SCT would have set the code upon reflash, unless you unhooked both batteries and left them there for some period of time when removing the Edge module.

Old 07-29-2005, 04:44 PM
rblomquist
Senior User
Guys, don't take this the wrong way but the title of this post is exactly what promotes the sterotype that Ford and these 6.0 trucks are riddled with problems. If you were joe-bag-of-doughnuts looking at potentially buying your first diesel and you scanned over the titles of posts in the forum it sure would get you thinking negatively about Ford and the 6.0 in particular wouldn't it? Not saying these trucks (just like ever other truck on the planet) doesn't have some problems but when you take a factory design and not just add one aftermarket performance "enhancement" but stack multiple aftermarket devices on it and then post about how you're not happy with Ford it's kinda misleading, especially when you state the truck runs fine stock.

Too bad you don't have a good dealership nearby, I feel for ya in that regard however, look at the bright side, at least they're not giving you the stance that because you modifided it your warranty is "void"

Again, not trying to tick anyone off but the title doesn't accurately reflect the content.

Respectfully,

Rich

Old 08-01-2005, 10:50 AM
csramsey640
Senior User
Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
The code is not to *alert* a dealer, or Ford, to the presence of an aftermarket device. It is simply a code thrown any time the CAnetwork has lost power or residual memory for any number of reasons.

This code proves nothing. The dealer is more than welcome to infer what they may from its presence, but as for being acutal evidence of an aftermarket device, it won't cut it.
I keep a record of po603 codes with the 6.0l in our garage. So far 13 po603 codes in koeo memory, and 11 modified trucks. You tell me. Its all the evidence one needs to start looking farther, and maybe find something they shouldnt. If not, no one has anything to worry about.

Im not choosing sides, because i like to modify just as much as the next guy. But dont get mad when Ford wont warranty a concern because the engine/trans is not as built from Ford. Once drivetrain warranty is cancelled, its done, even if you sell the truck. Its not worth taking a risk. "use your head before taking your truck in for service or a engine/tranny related concern"..i think most know what im talking about here.

Last edited by csramsey640; 08-01-2005 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Truck back from Ford, Not happy.