Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Posting Guru

DMAX-HD is starting off with a positive reputation.
bio-diesel - not good?

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0.../ethanol2.html
18x9 KMC XD Monsters | TOYO AT II 285/65
Norcal Stage V | Bilstiens 5100 | Rare Parts Tie-Rods & Cognito Braces | Caltracs
Dyno 518hp/1021tq RW
Old 07-27-2005, 08:35 PM
Postmaster

olfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to beholdolfordsnstone is a splendid one to behold
That is certainly disapointing news.

05 F350 4x4 CC SB Tow Com 6.0 Auto (camper puller)
74 F250 4x4 w/ C8-460 4sp (restore project and wood truck)
07 Everest 295TS Fifth Wheel (rolling beer drinkin' den)
56 Sweetheart (wife)
These are my ladies
Old 07-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Freshman User

HDCarl is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm going to be a bit sceptical on this one. It kind of sounds like a "greeny" with an axe to grind. See the preference toward "renewable", solar, wind, hydrogen, none of which are really applicalbe to private vehicles. All to often research is done in a manner to provide a desired result. I think you would find that hydrogen would be way worse as far as taking more energy to make than it yields.

HDCarl
Old 07-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Senior User

Drone Leader is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
As always, never the complete story.

I don't think they didn't considered recycled products, only that grown specifically for use as fuel stuff.

I also haven't checked to see which departments the professors are from, their credentials, and who supplied the grant money for the research.

(Academic research ain't free or sometimes even biased. Sponsors have ways of getting the 'right' things said.)

That said, it's not too surprising that dead dinos and time is easier than doing it yourself in the lab. Just a little sad, I guess.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:30 AM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
“a new analysis from Cornell and the University of California at Berkeley”....hum...Berkeley with an ax to grind, o-please tell me it ain't so....I would need at least four other sources and five other studies before I would put stock in this one, Berkeley has a history of being a bit out there...I know I survived the sixties
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 07-28-2005, 06:54 AM
Fortune Favors The Brave

kw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputationkw5413 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDCarl
I'm going to be a bit sceptical on this one. It kind of sounds like a "greeny" with an axe to grind. See the preference toward "renewable", solar, wind, hydrogen, none of which are really applicalbe to private vehicles. All to often research is done in a manner to provide a desired result. I think you would find that hydrogen would be way worse as far as taking more energy to make than it yields.

HDCarl
Yes indeed. The results are often established way before the criteria to ascertain / justify the results.
Book Of kw5413 Chapter 2014 verse 02:28

If I had it all to do over again...I would do it all, over again. Book Of kw5413 Chapter 2014 verse 3:04
Old 07-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Elder User

satcom40 is starting off with a positive reputation.
well I use Bio-diesel. I'm not going to stop on just this one story, if you what to call it that. need vidoe of my truck melting befor i stop, hope to use more in the future.
this is a new field and some of the bug need to be work out.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Senior User

99FordGuy is starting off with a positive reputation.
As far as I'm concerned anything that reduces our dependency on foreign oil and helps our farmers is a good thing. Even if it doesn't save me any money.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:40 AM
Posting Legend

sglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcom40
well I use Bio-diesel. I'm not going to stop on just this one story, if you what to call it that. need vidoe of my truck melting befor i stop, hope to use more in the future.
this is a new field and some of the bug need to be work out.

I agree and the city and college near me use Bio-Diesel and never had a problem with it.

And I use it in my 2000 F-350...
Old 07-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Posting Guru

wb6anp has a good reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDCarl
I think you would find that hydrogen would be way worse as far as taking more energy to make than it yields.

HDCarl
My feeling toward hydrogen is it will make a nice ball of fire in an accident.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:24 AM
Posting Legend

sglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant futuresglaine has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb6anp
My feeling toward hydrogen is it will make a nice ball of fire in an accident.
Good point there.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:07 AM
Senior User

Flash635 is starting off with a positive reputation.
>>Ethanol and biodiesel do not provide nearly as much energy as it takes to create them, according to a new analysis from Cornell and the University of California at Berkeley.<<

Until they keep doing it and streamline the process.
And also when the tentacles of Big Oil are cut back so as to allow freer development.

So what if it costs a bit more now? At least your kids will live long enough to give you grandkids.
How much would you pay for that?
Old 07-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Posting Guru

firesoutmatt is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would have to say BS on that one. It doesn't seem resonable that it cost more to refine diesel than it is to make soy. Soy doesn't have to be pumped out of the ground.It grows right here where we use it. I don't know the whole process of making soy but I would think it cost alot less than making diesel. Bio-diesel is really two differnt things soy and waste veggy oil. WVO doesn't cost more than $.70 a gal to make and if diesel cost less than that to make I will kiss those Cornell kids butts in public on the street corner. Even if it did cost more to make who cares its less foreign oil we will be useing. Our grandkids will thank us someday.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:20 PM
New User

BaldGuy is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is a great response to the "Study" referenced above:

http://www.iogen.ca/news/07_20_2005.html

Now, if we could just get Ford to make a truck that can run BD (more than 2%) without choking, we'll all be in great shape.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
The soy bio is squeezed out then refined.

If you read the article, it says 2 researchers, so I REALLY wonder about the validity of the article and the website.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:47 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels