General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

You Must Be This Tall To Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 02:56 PM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You Must Be This Tall To Drive

No matter how many times I encounter them, it still strikes me as eerie - coming up behind a car that appears to have no driver. You follow this ghost car several minutes and see the steering wheel move but see no evidence of a driver on board. Of course, its always a very short person behind the wheel. How they can drive when they can't see over the dashboard is a mystery to me. This got me to wondering -Colorado has no height requirements but they list your height on the driver's license. Do any states have height restrictions?

Old 07-25-2005, 02:58 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my very short cousin got pulled over cause he was short

Old 07-25-2005, 05:59 PM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No restrictions in MS that I know of because of the short folks I see driving. Then again there may be and they don't enforce it because I know for a fact that MS has a bumper height law and they sure don't enforce that.

Old 07-25-2005, 07:51 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They should put one of those "YOU MUST BE THIS TALL TO RIDE" signs you see at the amusement parks, at the DMV.

Then watch the lawsuits come.

Old 07-25-2005, 10:20 PM
FghtinIrshNvrDie
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the problem. legislation against short people driving would induce severe lawsuits for discrimination. maybe they should get a restriction on their license similar to people needing eyeglasses, but they could have one for a booster seat. I think my idea has merit.

Ryan

Old 07-25-2005, 11:51 PM
RomerB2
Postmaster
They need to do something. It bothers me of some of the people out there driving. I work at Walgreens, and I see this lady come up all the time.. she's about 4' tall, maybe shorter and she drives some huge car. She can barely walk whenever she does walk, yet she gets in her car and drives away. I've gone out and looked before too.. there's no extensions or anything.

Old 07-25-2005, 11:54 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
When my extremely short friend first started driving, she had to look through the steering wheel to be able to see the road. I am always scared to drive with her because she drives hard, yet has only been in one accident. Scary.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:03 AM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wife and I have a friend that barely comes up to my chest, and that's with big hair. I go to work on her car I can't get my legs in. I move the seat all the way back and leave it there when I'm done. I tell her that's the only reason I work on her car.

A few months ago she asked me to scout the junkyard for decent seats. I found a nice set with a height adjustment. Words can't describe the happy look on her face when she could finally see over the steering wheel.

Make all the jokes you want. Just remember that she was once in the U.S.M.C., served in Viet Nam at a field hospital. As for my-self, there is nothing I will tell her she can't do.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:36 AM
grease monkey
Elder User
You think a short person is hard to see try driving behind a dorf. I seen a few of them driving around town.

Old 07-26-2005, 04:19 AM
captchas
may times it's really some one with the seat all most all the way back geto style so you can't see them. i had one yesterday when working on the car i had to road test it , so i could reset the i.m. or readiness codes. the dude complained to the owner that i had turned his seat back up straight so i could see over the dash and feel safe.
i personally wish they would go back and stop building a drivers seat that reclines that far,it would save a lot of injured backs in wreaks

Old 07-26-2005, 11:24 AM
CheapRanger
Elder User
Originally Posted by FghtinIrshNvrDie
That's the problem. legislation against short people driving would induce severe lawsuits for discrimination. maybe they should get a restriction on their license similar to people needing eyeglasses, but they could have one for a booster seat. I think my idea has merit.

Ryan
Here in Missouri, I believe there are safety regulations that cover this! I don't know what they are off my head, but I do see short people required to have lift devices or pedal adapters and such. The thing that PO's me is that the seat adjustment levers are not required to work for inspections! I had to drive a car that belonged to a midget (he used the term, so I can) and as his seat adjuster was broken and I was the most limber person there, I got the "privelidge" of driving his car in and around the shop for testing. My legs rubbed the steering wheel, the door panel, and the shifter. At least the cushion was removable.
The other thing, back when I was in drivers ed (long, long ago) they taught you to look under the steering wheel or under the center of the hood, if the hood ever flew open (yes this came in handy once). The older cars you could have looked under the steering wheel, not the newer ones.

Old 07-26-2005, 12:15 PM
Aztrainer
Posting Guru
OMG this is funny. Living in the land of snowbirds, every winter there is an influx of Casper the friendly driver. I do think that the size of the car is proportional to the size of the person. I saw a woman that was no more than 5 foot get into a Cadillac Deville. She was about an inch behind the wheel.

Old 07-26-2005, 12:58 PM
gpeade
Elder User
It's Like Jerry Seinfield Said About Fl. The State Flag Should Be The Top Half Of A Steering Wheel With Eight Nuckles On It.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:54 PM
NH-Hottie
Postmaster
Stop picking on short people
I'm 4'11'' and drive a full size Bronco, with no pillow needed. I would never drive a vehicle if I couldn't see over the steering wheel.

Old 07-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Mike Roma
Senior User
Looking at the back of my Florida driver's license, one of the possible restrictions is "hand control or pedal ext". Nothing about "booster seats", though. I suppose if you needed those to pass the exam, you would have that restriction. Just like if you needed glasses to pass the eye exam. I've never heard of a height "limit". You do have to pass a driving test at some point, though.

Quick Reply: You Must Be This Tall To Drive