1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Looking for an F-100 ... need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 02:04 AM
JoeSwing78
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Looking for an F-100 ... need advice

Hey Guys,
I hope I'm posting to the correct forum, this is my first post after finding out about this website. I'm 27 and from Southern California..if anyone really cares. =)
I have been a big F100 lover for ages and have had 2 1955's and a 1956. Currently I am shopping around for a new ride and have been for the last 5-6 months. I am looking for opinons more than anything to see what direction to go in. I have found 2 trucks that both have pros and cons.

*Truck A: 1955 F100/460 (all stock)/C6/9" and an immaculate interior. Uncut dash, all original bezels and working gauges and heater. The bed is rough and the front suspension is all stock with stock steering. Cost 3k

*Truck B: 1956 F100 small window/302 (just built bored and all that good stuff, new hooker headers,manifold, carb, RV cam , etc.)/ It's running a later model oldsmobile rear end and it has drums all around. Tilt front hood, original gauges with aftermarkets cut underneath it and a hole from an aftermarket radio but its completely rust free. $4500

Any thoughts on what might be the better buy? My hesitation is due to the fact that the cleaner one is running a 460 which I have been told is a really heavy, gas guzzling, not so good engine for a 1/2 ton truck. I'm still finishing college so the ability to work on the truck is limited right now. I know 302s/351's are pretty popular but are 460s looked down upon? and is there any real dowside to it?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-15-2005, 05:24 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome aboard Joe! A great bunch of folks here who will offer advice, opinions, and encouragement. You might get a tweak or two as well - but it's all in good fun. I don't have any experience with the engine choices you have, but members who do will be by shortly.

Old 07-15-2005, 07:26 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Hi Joe, welcome to the friendliest most informative forum on the internet!
Which to buy would be really difficult to say from your description. As far as engine choice, IMHO it's a tossup, the 460 sounds more impressive to the bench racers at the mall, but for a fact it doesn't put out much more power than the 302. The gas milege would depend on other factors than engine choice: rear end gear ratio, tire size, weight of the driver's right foot. The 460 would be able to pull a higher rear gear for highway cruising.
Given your financial and working limitations, I'd say the one in the best and safest mechanical condition (steering, brakes, build quality etc) would be the wiser choice since you seem to want an immediately usable ride. Safety first cosmetics later. Whichever you choose, you can always swap out the engine later if you aren't satisfied, engines are pretty cheap, and there's a good selection in either engine family so the rework would be minimal. Drive both, turn a blind eye to the cosmetics, and select the one that you honestly feel is the one you could live with the best. If both have mechanical problems that you can't fix immediately within your means (you say you've owned 3 previously, you should have a good understanding of what one should drive like and how much work is involved in fixing the common wear areas) pass on both and keep looking would be my advice to you. If you were looking for an extended project vehicle for a hobby, my advice would probably be different.

Old 07-15-2005, 09:23 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joe -

Aside from my preference for the 56 (I have one), the better mileage would definitely be the 302, even with the upgrades. In fact, the building done on the 302 promises to make that motor quicker than the stock 460. The 460 would pull stumps, though. The prices are very good on both, IMHO.

I'd go for the 56, even though it's a little more expensive.

What do you see as the eventual configuration for your truck? Stock outside, upgraded running gear?

Old 07-15-2005, 09:58 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Buy both! Ok that is not reasonable so it is a toss up for me too. The 460`s are not looked down on by anyone with any experince with them and the 302 is a great little motor. Sounds like a great pair to choose from depending on condition . Have fun and welcome back.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:14 AM
JoeSwing78
Senior User
Thumbs up Thanks for the notes..

I first wanted to say thanks to the people who dropped me a line regarding this truck dilemma. I currently have an Acura Integra (college car) that I fixed up. I subscribed onto a forum for that and the peoples attitudes were sub par. There must be a certain amount of class, that goes with owning a classic. In my previous F100s I ran a 302/C4 on stock sus (added disc) and a 9". The other other was a 351/c6 and a 400/c6 volare front clip 9" etc. School and an accident later and I ended up with an Integra. . . until now.

My goal with either would to upgrade the front suspension. IFS with disc and a power steering setup. I'd like eventually make it a (semi) reliable daily driver with a stock appearence. I was leaning towards the 56 since the motor is built (only about 3k on it) it rides low and with the flat black paint, no rust and tilt front end it looks pretty mean. It has power steering so I guess I would only have to add IFS or at least a disc brake set up. Downside is its missing the little things that of course cost when you add them up (ie: dome light, emblems, headlight trim rings, both bumpers, wipers and motor, etc. Put it this way the kid went with the rat rod look which isnt bad but you get the jist.

The other some 70 year old man owns, still has the vehicle VIN plate in the inside of the door. Everything works and is ALL there, all new chrome for the grill and bumpers. Just doesnt have power steering or a frond end, and a big engine like that I couldn't imagine drivng around with just 11" drums. We shall see.... I am going to check them both out again this weekend and making a choice. I'll post some pics when I pick up something and maybe my old rides too.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:14 AM
SteV8e
Elder User
If I were at your life stage, it would be hard for me to justify the 50% uptick to get the 56. I've not had either truck, but of the 53-56 series, my favorite is the 55 followed by the 53.

When buying an older vehicle, I always prioritize the soundness of the frame and body. I don't like to do body work or to pay someone else to do it either. You may love body work, but the point is you need to compare the type of work you like to do versus the type of work likely to be necessary.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:36 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go with the 56. 460's are gas gusslers and the 302 is a giant killer. Offer $4K and drive it home. Good luck, Jag

Old 07-15-2005, 11:02 AM
JoeSwing78
Senior User
Hmmmm

I see... I see.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:10 AM
SteV8e
Elder User
Joe:

If you wait long enough, the decision might get made for you. One or even both could get snatched-up.

I know the 56 are the most popular, but that makes the others more unique. And if you like, you can always put a 56 grille on any year in that series. Or, if you get the 56, you could put a 54 grille on it.

Or not.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:18 AM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joe sounds to me like you lean more to the dark side(HOT ROD) then the purist (stock resto). This said it seems that the 302 truck would be the better fit for you, provided that the trucks are more less mechanically equal. You will probably find the 302 a little more comfortable to work on and being fresher need less attention. Good luck, Rich.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:28 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Joe, there is nothing wrong with the stock front suspension, if it's tight and aligned properly it rides and handles quite well. Much cheaper/easier/quicker(1 or two weekends) to rebuild the axle and remove some leafs out of the springs and/or a reversed eye main to drop it down than to install a IFS. Disc front brakes are a bolt on as is the power steering. My vote would be for the straight clean truck. The 460 will not be a significant deficit, they weren't put in vehicles that were beat on heavily, and the extra fuel costs would not be anywhere near the cost of all the other truck's missing parts. I'd be real concerned about what is hiding under the primer on the 56.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:34 PM
JoeSwing78
Senior User
I agree

Thanks for the continued advice... I lean towards the 55'. I sat down with all the catalogs last night to just price out what it would cost to buy the extra stuff and it was way up there. Might as well go with the one that is uncut, and has been garaged and cared for continuously. I can always swap out the motor and your right disc and power steering is bolt on.

Old 07-15-2005, 04:56 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Joe, go for the 460. anyone against it has just got C.I. Envy, Its a great reliable motor and aaaftermarket manufacturers are finally recognizing its popularity.
But what do I know? Wayne

Old 07-15-2005, 06:45 PM
wakywaco
Junior User
Unhappy

I dont like the front windsheilds on 56s, so my choice would be the earlier one. I have a 55 and love the way it looks. Only thing ford couldve done better wouldve been to add the wrap around rear window. I have mine for sale, dont wanna sell it but Im moving and need to get rid of a bunch of stuff. Mines a project truck thoigh so Im sure your not interested

Quick Reply: Looking for an F-100 ... need advice