Rate your Ranger- Truck & 3.0 engine 1-10

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 02:11 PM
papa's 64
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i give my 2001 XLT a 9.5. It could get better gas mileage, but other than that it does everything i want it to do. I've driving cross country from cali to Bama and back at least 7 times only problem i ever had was a camshaft sensor go out. in the 3 1/2 years i've owned this truck it has giving me it's all I'm at 110,000 miles right now and the way this thing runs i plan on seeing 300,000 before i even think about getting rid of it. and I'll probably get a new motor and keep running it after that. By far oen of the best small engines around. No it doesn't have a lot of power, no it doesn't get the best gas mileage but the darn thing runs forever.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:22 PM
KingRanchMan02
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first new truck that I ever owned was a 1992 Ranger XLT, 3.0, 5 speed. I owned it for the first 125k miles. In that ten year time span, the engine was replaced under warranty with less than 2,000 miles on the truck. There was a cold engine stumble that the dealer and Ford could not nail down. After having the truck for a month, Ford sent the dealer a complete new long block. The problem was not fixed but it was better with the new engine. The engine always ran good, gas mileage was between 14 and 37 mpg. Averaged 18.3 overall while I owned it.

After that, the transmission failed on two different occassions. Had to replace it completely on both occassions.

I had trouble with the drivers seat frame breaking on me three times, disassembled it and welded the frame back twice. Left it alone the last time.

Finally, the right front suspension collapsed after the air conditioner condesate drain rotted out the upper suspension bracket. Ford knew that this was a problem, they coat the bracket in plastic to prolong the life of the bracket. Of course the dealer denied that they had ever seen the failure. Zone rep likewise. They wanted to replace the complete frame under the truck. I replaced the bracket and the shocks and sold the truck. I see the truck every now and then, still on the road.

So all of this taken into account, I would rate the engine at an 8, the body an 8, the interior a 7, and the transmission a 3.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:30 AM
Godspeed474
Senior User
i haven't tried to pull out any stumps yet or pull any trailers but i think the 3.0 ranger has more than enough power for me anyway

thats what i think it could be because i used to drive a 4 banger contour

i will say this you think the 3.0 is slow stay away from the 2005 3.7l v6 dakota because i can assure you the 3.0l ranger can run circles around the dakota

Old 12-02-2006, 10:35 PM
rangerfan
Posting Guru
I just picked up my first 3.0 on Oct 23rd. I traded my '03 2.3 Ranger in for the 3.0 '06 Ranger Sport. I love the truck so far. It's my first truck ever with a automatic. The only reason why I got rid of the '03 was because it got to small for me and my two daughters (I take them to school every morning and we were getting cramped in the regular cab). I love having the extended cab. The only thing I dislike is the gas milage. In the '03 I was getting 28 to 29 MPG. In the '06 I am getting 20 MPG so far. No matter how hard I try I keep getting 20 MPG. Hopefully it will get better once the truck is broken in. So for only have 1,000 miles on it.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:49 PM
TakeEm
Freshman User
2004 Ranger Edge w/ 3 slow and 5 speed auto. Looks: 8, Ride quality: 7, Power: 6, Transmission: 4. I did remodeling in the past. On several occasions, I had the back loaded and squating and then added a heavy 6x10 trailor loaded and went to the dump. It was slow, but I had the power to get up the hills at the dump when I needed it. I also pull a 1500 lb boat and trailor at least 3 times a week and have no problems. It's slow going up the big bridges, but it makes it. I wish the Edge package came with a 4.0. Oh well... One transmission sylenoid (sp) was replaced at 34,000 miles and I now have a coil pack going out at 84,000 miles. My average mpg is 18-21. With overdrive off and the boat, I get like 12 mpg.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Tremor23
Freshman User
02 Tremor.... I give my truck a 10. the exterior is in mint condition, it just seems as though that chrome yellow just holds up well and it might be that i wash and wax it about once a month. I give the interior a 9... I am in the process of reskinning my seats and making them black leather. I mainly purchased the truck for the stereo system. I drive with my windows down and the radio cranked up and never a problem. Overall maintenance and general upkeep is a 10..knock on wood never had a problem and I have 103,000 miles and counting.

Chris

Old 05-22-2007, 02:29 PM
02xlt3.0
Senior User
I'd have to give the truck an 8 overall and the engine a 5 on a good day. I don't complain about power but the mileage is awful. Also had a real problem with hesitation above 3000 rpm. Never been in the shop though, 90,500 miles. Truck itself is nice looking and well made and fairly comfortable given that I'm over 6'3" 245 lbs. Best thing I ever did to it was to line-x it. Looks great.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:46 PM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
04 2WD Edge, 3.0L, 4.10 gears - Exterior I give the truck an 8. Good looking truck with the Edge's higher stance.

Interior - not too shabby as I have a base model with vynil floors and cloth seats. For the small size and my height (6'2") it suprisingly comfortable on a long trip. Would like for the seats to sit just a little higher. Give it a 7.

Engine: With the 4.10 gears I really don't have any complaints. It'll get up and go pretty well. Keep in mind that I didn't but it for it's power. I bought it for it value (relatively low cost) and long-term durability. Easy to work on and do normal maintenance - I'll give it an 8.

CMOS

Old 08-21-2007, 09:18 PM
ruffnready
Freshman User
Hmmm.... my 98 3.slow 5spd 4x4 off-road sport ext cab flareside... ENGINE > 6.5 though i dont expect it, this engine has minimal power and torque. u can beat the tar out of it and it still keep goin and the majority have pretty good longevity. it is fun to rip around in if you can get the engine whining high enough. truck is fairly capable for what it is....wisconsin winters, farm fields, hunting land, towing/hauling smaller loads (16' ish fishing boat, 2 place snowmoblile trailer)mileage is mediocre (solid 20 avg) not a bad lookin truck ...interior isnt terrible for a mid size.. also havent had too many major (non-normal maitenance) problems... only midsize ive ever had and it will be my last if ford doesnt make a more peppy engine with better mileage....overall id rate it a 5. definitely not the powerhouse of a fullsize nor has the roominess and the mileage quite frankly isnt where it should be at this day n age (i got 20 mpg avg in my old 91 I-6 4x4 auto which was ten times the truck the ranger ever could be) BUT ...i bought this as an economy vehicle to get through college with and it fulfills its purpose
RUFF

Old 12-03-2007, 02:39 PM
05Edge
Freshman User
Well, the last time I replied to this thread my truck was 4 weeks old... I loved it then, and I still liked it when I totaled it Nov 23... so so sad.

Hello 04 F150!!!

Old 12-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Mudflap
Junior User
'02 XLT, 4X4, 4-door, 3.0 auto with OD, black with red pin stripes, Custom-made Harley emblem in each back door window with "Ford Ranger" above the logo and "Special Edition" below.

For overall transportation, easily a 10.

It's easy on the eyes and easy to take care of.

Dependability... well, it's never left me standing at the side of the road, but I've had a lot of mechanical problems with it.

Sound system would be rated reeeal low. Radio and cassette player work fine, but expansion joints on the highway make the CD skip. Ford garage says I expect too much from it. Plus, when I press the "eject" button it may or may not eject. Have had to wait two days before it finally decides to give the CD up. That may not sound like a major thing, but it destroys the entire driving experience for me. (Ford says it's me, not the system.)

Plenty of room in the cab (6'2 and 215 pounds).

Nice ride.

I would still recommend a Ranger to someone who wants or needs a lil truck, though, because Hay, if ya get a good one, you got a good one, and if you not, they're purty easy to work on!

Old 12-08-2007, 03:08 AM
mjlimo82
Junior User
'03 Scab 5 speed man, 89K. About 21 MPG in mixed driving.

Decent power; it will get up and go when you need it to.

The transmission/clutch sucks; doesn't always want to go in gear. Especially when it's cold.

Its a little small, but I deal with it. I wish I had a 4 door supercab instead of the 2 door.

It eats gauge cluster lights like I eat M&M's.

The front brake calipers are not very good; they warp VERY easily.

The back (non-sliding) window leaks from somewhere; in 4 years I still haven't figured out where.

Other than that it's been a great truck. No mechanical problems whatsoever, just little piddly stuff like that. If I had it to do over again I would, but with an automatic instead. Shifting gets old!

Old 01-05-2008, 02:02 AM
3.0 98ranger
New User
Smile

I'm guna rate my 98 3.0 2wd at a 10 all around, i have never been stuck in the snow or any element at that. i have a lawn service and this truck has had 182,500 hard trailer towing miles on it and all i have to do is run synthetic lubricants through it. one hint for the 3.0L, change the pcv valve, your power will return soon after.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:26 PM
98_danger_ranger
New User
Originally Posted by KingRanchMan02
The first new truck that I ever owned was a 1992 Ranger XLT, 3.0, 5 speed. I owned it for the first 125k miles. In that ten year time span, the engine was replaced under warranty with less than 2,000 miles on the truck. There was a cold engine stumble that the dealer and Ford could not nail down. After having the truck for a month, Ford sent the dealer a complete new long block. The problem was not fixed but it was better with the new engine. The engine always ran good, gas mileage was between 14 and 37 mpg. Averaged 18.3 overall while I owned it.

After that, the transmission failed on two different occassions. Had to replace it completely on both occassions.

I had trouble with the drivers seat frame breaking on me three times, disassembled it and welded the frame back twice. Left it alone the last time.

Finally, the right front suspension collapsed after the air conditioner condesate drain rotted out the upper suspension bracket. Ford knew that this was a problem, they coat the bracket in plastic to prolong the life of the bracket. Of course the dealer denied that they had ever seen the failure. Zone rep likewise. They wanted to replace the complete frame under the truck. I replaced the bracket and the shocks and sold the truck. I see the truck every now and then, still on the road.

So all of this taken into account, I would rate the engine at an 8, the body an 8, the interior a 7, and the transmission a 3.
sounds like that ranger was built on a monday or a friday

Old 10-23-2008, 09:28 PM
KingRanchMan02
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be but, I was pretty hard on it at times, especially on the transmission. The seat problems were due to my overweight problems and the suspension problem was just a poor design that failed after ten years. The thing that bothered me the most was the suspension rotting out. I fix the suspension with a new part and sold it. I still see it on the road every now and then.

Quick Reply: Rate your Ranger- Truck & 3.0 engine 1-10