1939 Windshield gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 02:29 PM
JnJO39
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1939 Windshield gasket replacement

I have a 1939 Ford 1/2 ton. I am trying to install a replacement outside windshield gasket. As I can see the gasket slides between the front and back part of the frame. Any ideas on making this task more simple?
Thanks
JNJO39

Old 07-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
I take it you didn't get instructions with it?

You'll need some dish soap in a small squeeze bottle (one with a small tip) something like a hair dye bottle. Also will need some nylon string and another pair of hands or two.

Bear with me as I'm doing this from memory:
1. Feed the string and then dishsoap throughout the entire seal where it laps over the window frame. Since the windshield is split panes, make sure the string hangs out the upper left (drivers side) corner. Leave enough string hanging out so that you can wrap/grab it good.

2. On a flat surface, put the glass into the seal. I believe the inside is the fatter/longer part of the seal.

3. The spare hands (in our case me) is the person(s) not pulling the string and should be on the inside of the cab. This is the side you put the glass & seal into and that person will need to hold both panes in place and maybe move it up or down as needed.

4. Now, with the glass & seal in place, the guy on the outside begins pulling the string from the corner to pull the outer seal portion over the window frame. I believe Steve worked both the side and top until it got too tight then just worked the bottom. You may want to wear gloves as the sting is soapy & slick and tends to slip in wrapping it around your hands for the pull.

I believe that's all there is to it. Hope you're using a new seal?

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:09 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well if this the one I remeber,we used to take a piece of nylon cord and make a loop around the groove in the gasket.i'll try to explain.put the gasket on the frame of the windshield all the way around,now make a loop with a piece of cord inthe groove of the gasket that has to go inside the opening,leaving the ends hanging inside the car at the top.use a little soapy water to lube up the gasket and cord.Set the windsheild in the opening and have 2 helpers one on each side of the vehicle and operson inside and starting at the top slowly pull the cords out while your helpers gently put pressure on the windsheild from the outside,working your way around the windsheild.
Its been along time since I did one.Hope it helps
Rich

Well Carlene has given a much better explanation than me !
Thanks carlene I was typing at the same time.
Rich

Last edited by FortyFords; 07-12-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:57 PM
JnJO39
New User
Thanks to both Carlene and FortyFords!. the situation I have is that Iused glass tape and the two window pains are solidly in the frame and are secrued. The issue I have is the gasket that goes on the outside of the two pain frame and seals the frame to the cab. There is agroove on the outside of the frame that the gasket presses into. Are we talking about the same thing?

Thanks again
JNJO39

Old 07-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
yep, we are talking about the same thing. It sounds like you went with the pivot look instead of the center chrome. Still, the gasket and frame size are the same. The gasket should still be one piece and the installation should be the same. You'll just have to be more careful not to break the glass and have to pull harder on the string.

Also, especially since you're going with this setup, you better be using a new seal as it will be more flexible.

Hope we're on the same track and good luck.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:18 PM
JnJO39
New User
Carlene and FortyFords
I followed your directions for the windshield gasket and it worked great! Thanks for all your help. The directions were so clear I think my wife could have done the job.

Thanks again
JNJO39