1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

White smoke after start-up

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Schuby
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White smoke after start-up

Hey Guys....I have a 2000 F-150 4.6 manual....when it has set for more than two days...a cloud of white smoke will come from the exhaust when I first start the engine, it does not do it at any other time It does not do it when I drive it everyday or every other day. The truck runs fine & starts up fine It did it this morning, my truck has not been started since Friday. Is there any cause for alarm?????

Old 07-12-2005, 10:56 AM
PaulC
Posting Guru
If it's pretty heavy, and the coolant degasser tank is empty or is showing signs of losing antifreeze, it might be the sign of a bad head gasket or other internal problem. If it's just a little puff, it might be a sign of normal water condensation that has built up in the exhaust system while the truck was parked.

Old 07-12-2005, 12:25 PM
Schuby
Senior User
it's a good size puff...I saw it go by my window when I was in the truck...it had a gasoline type smell to it...but it only did it when it fired up...after that not any smoke came out....not at idle or when driving down the road. I just don't know if I should be worried

Old 07-12-2005, 01:16 PM
lancekilgore
Elder User
agree it sounds like the start of a head gasket problem. I would do a pressure check on the radiator, to see if it holds pressure. If it does not them there is a leak some where if it is not pressent out side the engine or near the inside by the heater core then it is internal in the engine. two choces put a type of sealer in it or do the job proper and do a head job.

lance

Old 07-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Schuby
Senior User
how come it does not smoke every time it starts up???

Old 07-12-2005, 04:05 PM
PaulC
Posting Guru
If it's condensation in the exhaust system, time is needed for the exhaust to cool and condensation to form. If it's a gasket issue, the defect may be small enough to require time for enough coolant to seep into the cylinder(s) to show up as a significant amount of steam when heated and forced through the exhaust system.

Two things I would suggest:

1. First thing in the morning, before the first start-up of the day (cold engine and coolant), check the antifreeze level in the tank. If it's below the marking for COLD, add a mix of 50% water/50% antifreeze until the correct level is attained. Drive the truck for the rest of the day, as you normally do. Next morning, again with a cold engine, review the coolant level. After only one day of driving under normal conditions, the level should appear to be exactly as it was the previous day. If it's down, the coolant is going somewhere, either as an external leak, or internal leak. If no external leak is indicated, then you could have a block or head gasket issue.

2. Same cold engine. Check the oil. Look for any evidence of water droplets on the dipstick, or a milky appearance to the oil. Either indicate the presence of water in the oil sump. While this can be demonstrated in an engine that isn't run a lot (condensation in the oil sump not being burned off because the oil never gets warm enough), the presence of water in the sump plus the white exhaust would have me thinking some very dark thoughts about the condition of the engine.

Now let me be a bit of an alarmist: If enough antifreeze leaks into a cylinder, and someone attempts to start the engine, a condition known as hydrostatic lock can occur. Basically, the piston moves up and attempts to compress the water against the cylinder head. Not good, as unlike the air/fuel mist that is usually inside the cylinder, water cannot be compressed. You can blow out the head gasket and/or bend the connecting rod for the piston in question. Expensive. If this was my truck, I would have it professionally examined immediately.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:18 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
this sounds like a cavitation issue. it is common in modular engines when the coolant never gets changed. when was the last time the coolant was changed? it needs to be changed every 2 years or 24,000 miles

Old 07-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Schuby
Senior User
I believe it was last summer sometime

Old 07-12-2005, 06:12 PM
lancekilgore
Elder User
it's deffantly something not to take litely. You have many options to work with so pick some and try. If you don't have the radiator leak detector then deffanly do the checking thing every day.

Lance

Old 07-12-2005, 06:23 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
but is it real smoke? or just steam?

Old 07-13-2005, 06:48 AM
Schuby
Senior User
it seems to be white smoke.....and when I saw it that morning it smelled like smoke. I would not think steam would have made it to the front of my truck unless it was in winter...but I 'm pretty sure it was smoke

Old 07-13-2005, 12:15 PM
stickman
New User
This is a late posting for this but for anyone that has this same problem, this could possibly be your PCV Valve(a 3 dollar part that pops in the top of your valve manifold) that needs to be replaced. The manual says to replace these every 15,000 miles. I went a couple of oil changes, using a high grade oil, thinking that my truck was ready for a new engine. I actually pulled into a station and had to pour in 3 quarts of oil. Every time I started my truck this huge embarrassing cloud of white smoke would blast out my tail pipe. I also used one of those tune-up in a bottle (Valvoline type) and poured in my gas tank before the next fill-up. This got rid of any valve clatter that was going on. I'm not sure if they were both related problems or not. 10,000 miles later my truck runs great and is burning a quart every 2000 miles. My truck now has 145k and is running fine. Not sure if this is related to your problem, but it's a cheap alternative to try.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Schuby
Senior User
thanks for the info...I checked my antifreeze resevoir & it is not low from where i changed it from last year...it's still full

Old 07-13-2005, 01:06 PM
7700Rob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prolly just a little oil getting by. I drove a delivery truck that did this every monday morning, by the time 3000 mi. came around, it was down a quart.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:07 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by stickman
This is a late posting for this but for anyone that has this same problem, this could possibly be your PCV Valve(a 3 dollar part that pops in the top of your valve manifold) that needs to be replaced. The manual says to replace these every 15,000 miles. I went a couple of oil changes, using a high grade oil, thinking that my truck was ready for a new engine. I actually pulled into a station and had to pour in 3 quarts of oil. Every time I started my truck this huge embarrassing cloud of white smoke would blast out my tail pipe. I also used one of those tune-up in a bottle (Valvoline type) and poured in my gas tank before the next fill-up. This got rid of any valve clatter that was going on. I'm not sure if they were both related problems or not. 10,000 miles later my truck runs great and is burning a quart every 2000 miles. My truck now has 145k and is running fine. Not sure if this is related to your problem, but it's a cheap alternative to try.
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Quick Reply: White smoke after start-up