1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Mileage F250 ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Hi-psi
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Mileage F250 ?'s

Guys,

So I'm looking to get rid of my Lightning, and get a F250. I'm pretty specific about what I'm looking for.

- '99+
- F250
- Diesel
- CrewCab
- 4x4
- Auto

Now, I've NEVER owned a diesel engine. I know the longevity of a diesel engine, and more importantly, the Powerstroke is stellar. I've found a truck that I really like. It meets all my requirements, I love the color combo, and it's local. My only reservation is that it has 194k miles. What are some things I should be concerned about? I would be using this truck for a daily driver. Very rare towing duties. Should I be that concerned with the mileage? Or just take it to a good local diesel mechanic to have it checked out, and if all is well, just consider it "broken in" good? I went and looked at it and drove it. Runs good, tranny shifts firm, no noises from the torque convertor which I've read is an indicator of the tranny going out. Looks like it was well taken care of. Overall it's pretty clean. It's at a small car lot. Guy said he bought it from a large dealer and that it was a trade in they sold off. No maintenance records unfortunately. After going back and forth with the guy for a few minutes, the lowest he said he could take for the truck is $14,500. I did a CarFax on the truck and it was a one owner before being traded in at the large dealer here in Atlanta. CarFax is clean of any major accidents, but does list one accident in 2002, in which the truck sustained no damage. I also had a friend at Ford pull up the service history on the truck. It was in and out of the dealer for a few minor things in the first 10 months or so in 2000. (sqeaky bushings, loose console lid, etc.) Unfortunately, the service record didn't list a tranny replacement. I'm going to see if my friend can get me the original owner's info and I'm going to try to contact him to inquire about the truck. Since he's not the one selling, I should be able to get some honest answers about the history, if anything major was replaced, etc. If anyone can think of anything else I might want to specifically address or look at I'm interested in hearing.

Thanks.

Old 07-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Douglas DC-9
Senior User
I'd stay clear of it. Granted the diesel will last forever, the rest of the truck may not. Most of the parts that are on a diesel truck are the same as a gasser. Even though it may be a good looking truck, what happens 6 months down the road when you take it to a Ford Store and find out that it needs $3,500.00 worth of work? Happened to me, could happen to you. Parts are going to wear out on a Super Duty just as fast as if it were a diesel or gasoline fueled engine. Take a look around, you can find really good deals. Just wait, be patient, and look. I found both of my trucks off of AutoTrader.com . $ 14.5k seems to be high for that truck. Look at kbb.com and findout the value of that truck.

Hope it works out

DC-9

Old 07-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Hi-psi
Freshman User
Well, based on the market, it seems pretty fair. The NADA values on the truck even after a $3400 mileage deduction are:

Average Trade In - $19,000

Average Retail - $22,350

I've been looking for about a month now, and from what I've seen of the market, similar mileage and condition trucks have been going for $16k-$18k.

Here in GA, the market isn't flooded with F250s like it is in Texas.

Old 07-10-2005, 09:34 AM
First Ford Truck
Junior User
It seems like a good price to me. The question wold be for me is: "How many miles a year do I plan to put on it?" If you are going to drive it 30K a year, I'd pass. If around 10K-12K a year, it's the truck for you. You would have it for a good 8-10 years berfore misc. reliability issues may become a problem.

You should plan on immediately spending about 1K getting everything up to snuff as far as general maintenance. Then have a couple of grand in an emergency fund if something expensive goes bad. Still a damn site chepaer than spending 45-50K for a new one.

I just bought a 5.4 SC gasser 4x4 with 150K miles for $8,500 (a real good deal up here in Michigan). High miles for a gasser but it's a tow vehicle/winter beater that I only put about 6K a year on it. I just spent around 1K to get it up to snuff (New rims and tires, oil change, transmission fluid change, and new rear brakes, did all the work myself.).

Old 07-10-2005, 10:20 AM
cloleson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, sounds like a pretty good deal. As noted though, you need to be ready to work on it. A high mileage truck doesn't scare me if it's been well cared for, and that one certainly appears to have been. However, I don't mind working on one.

I assume since you're looking at older, high mileage trucks, that you're prepared to encounter some repairs. As long as this is the case, I say go for it.

Good luck, and let us know how you turn out.

Old 07-10-2005, 10:48 AM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
I looks like a pretty good deal to me, with the information that is at hand. There is always a risk when buying a high mileage vehicle. I would recommend you consider getting a sample of the oil sent to a lab such as Blackstone for analsysis. This will give you indicators on whether you can expect some big engine repair bills in the near future. You could give the dealer money down to hold it continguent on a satisfactory oil analysis, etc.

Old 07-10-2005, 03:34 PM
MadMedic20
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would be worried about the auto tranny in a truck with that many miles. While a diesel engine will last a long time IT COSTS ALOT TO MAKE THEM LAST. Systems related the the engine start going out around that mileage.

My work vehicle with 189,000 miles has had the following problwms over the last year.
New PCM (This was around $1800 at the Ford garage.)
Cooling system pretty much all replaced after persistant over heating.
New tranny. (Another repair around $1800 at AAMCO.)
Mysterious oil in the water over flow tank, flushed and hasnt returned.
Problem with a high pressure fuel leak. ($600 at Ford garage.)
Oil pan is leaking about a quart every 2 weeks not fixed yet. (Quoted like $2500, said engine had to be pulled to replace gasket.)
ABS light is on and cant find a cause.
AMP light is on cant find a cause.

Im sure there are plenty of other things I have foregotten.

Old 07-10-2005, 06:18 PM
rblomquist
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hi-psi
Here in GA, the market isn't flooded with F250s like it is in Texas.
Then drive or fly to Texas and find one with much lower mileage on it. I went all the way to Portland Oregon 2 weeks ago to buy a new one because I wanted a 6-speed that bad. So it cost me $99 for a plane ticket there, $45 for a hotel room one night, and under $200 in fuel. So for under $400 I got exactly what I was after rather than having to settle with a short box automatic truck which is what I wouldn't had to settle with around Vegas.

Don't compromise on what you want, search outside of GA if that's what it takes, it'll be worth it.

Old 07-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Cub77
New User
I just recently bougt my '02 SD with 127,000 on it. It was a one owner from Texas. I got all the service records from the original dealer. Good clean truck and got it for $23,500. I got it from a place that specializes in 3/4 ton and above trucks. If you want send me a PM & I'll give you their info. They have a place in TN that might be close to you.

Old 07-10-2005, 10:13 PM
marv02
Senior User
Like other have said is not so much the engine going south is rest of the truck I use to be Over the road Driver some of these Class 8 trucks have millon miles on them with out much engine work done to them is the rest of the truck that falls apart around you that make you empty out you bank account.

Most Owner Operaters get rid there trucks around 500000 Miles thats when the warrenty up.

Buyer beware ask you'r self why are they getting rid of the truck.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:07 PM
carrcreekcaller
Junior User
Hi psi, bought my 99 f350 over a year ago at 113xxx, now at 131xxx. Nothing major but I bought a stick. Only complaint would be it needs a 7th gear. I feel safer manually shifting something with this much torque. I did'nt buy this truck for looks, but to pull and a lot of it. My suggestion would be to MAINTAIN the truck if you are going to buy it. Regular engine oil changes, clean the air filter, and get the auto tranny fluid changed REGULARLY. Don't abuse it if it's going to be a daily driver - no excessive pulling. Your front end will go out eventually and when it does have balljoints with grease zerks put in so you can keep them greased. I have found out on this site the dome lights come on when dirt gets in the swith rods on the doors (squirt wd40 along the rod going inside the door) and the ABS light and speedometer quit working when the easily fixed and cheap speedsensor goes out on the top of the rearend. I made the switch from chevy all my life, to this ford; so when something goes wrong I just tell myself that I can expect it since its only a ford. Actully, a little known fact is chevy's have there problems too. If your plan is to blow lots of black smoke at every stoplight I would stay away from it, otherwise enjoy a sweet truck. By the way here it the St. Louis area we would'nt touch that truck for much less than $20 grand. ccc