1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

15 passgr tow handling??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 07:51 PM
FarmerXLT
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 15 passgr tow handling??

Thinking of replacing my 1990 F250 X-cab lg.bed 2 wheel drive-460CI EFI vehicle with a 2003 E350 15 passgr van with a V-10. My trailer is a 27' toy hauler weighing approx. 4,500lb bare or 6,200 lbs loaded. The motors show comparable torque ratings but the horse power on the V-10 is 100 more, approx. Both have 3.73 ratios. and equipped with E4ODs. Being somewhat ignorant about torque and horsepower, what will be the noticeable performance differences???
Does the extended van pull a trailer without poor handling or is optional equipment needed? would it be better to tyow with the 12 passgr van?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Also, would it be worth it to wait for the V-10 that has 3 valves?

Old 07-06-2005, 08:36 AM
al_e._gator
Senior User
12 passenger would be better due to shorter distance between rear axle and hitch. Not to say people don't do it but I wouldn't want to tow with the 15 pax.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an extended E350 with a V10. I tow a 9100 pound travel trailer. The combo handles great. I have a Hensley hitch, and that is part of the reason it tows so well.

A lot of people will tell you that you shouldn't tow with an extended van, but they have never done it. I do it all the time and it isn't a problem.

Having the same torque and more horsepower means it will pull better than the 460.

Old 07-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Jim1995E150
Junior User
Chevy vs Ford

Casey, I'm going to assume you might be a life long Forder, and thus have no interest in Chevy, but I was just wondering what you thought of the Chevy 3500 extended for towing. I have heard the argument many times that it will tow better than the Ford E350 because of the stretched wheelbase, but I would like a Ford enthusiasts opinion between the two.

I've been very happy with our E150 but need to replace it soon with an extended van, either Ford or Chevy. I have no loyalty to either, and actually prefer the look of the Ford, but am leaning towards the Chevy for the following reasons:

1) As mentioned above, I've been lead to believe extended Chevy's tow better (you've pretty much already countered that argument to some degree);
2) Chevy riders have a smoother ride in the back seats because of the stretched wheelbase (I have been in the back of the E350 and have bounced around some); and
3) Chevy offers the Stabiltrack system which helps prevent flipping (I know sensible driving can take care of this problem, but I am interested in as many safety features that are available to provide additional protection for my family).

Any opinions out there?

Jim1995E150

Old 07-06-2005, 02:52 PM
al_e._gator
Senior User
Casey,
Not saying there's anything wrong with towing with the 15 pax, just that the basic vehicle is supposed to have more issues than 12 pax (some people on RV sites don't think you should tow big trailers with vans period). The key to your good fortune may be your Hensley Arrow hitch. The problem with that is many people don't have $2995 ( online, factory direct price) laying around to spend on it after buying the tow vehicle unless they planned it in advance. I know I couldn't swing one in the near future . Anyway I already have enough problems backing trailers with my van without the extra two feet of overhang. Could be an experience issue, but I know where my comfort zone is.

Jim1995E150,
On the Chevys, all I can say is that those who have them seem to like them, but the extra wheelbase adds its own handling issues when planning turns and such. I reccommend you test drive both then pick whichever one you like the best. After that, properly equip the vehicle to tow your load and drive sensibly.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Casey
Posting Guru
I didn't have the $2995 either, so I found a used Hensley for $1400. It's sure worth the money!

Old 07-07-2005, 01:04 AM
QuadVan
Junior User
Tow a 6,000 lb 23 ft Boat with a 2003 Ext E350 4x4 V10. Added a rear sway bar, Bilstein shocks.

Tows great and I love the extra two feet for the rest of the stuff that always finds it way to come with us LOL! If you do not have this problem, then go for the 12 pax.

I reconfigured the seating so I have the 4 person seat one row forward and 3 ft of cargo space behind. So I run with the first row in, second row out, third row being the four seater. Leaves lots of room for the kids and coolers to be accessible while traveling and all the gear in the back.

I will say that with 20 ft of van and 26 ft of trailer it is one long rig.

Re: Chevy vs. Ford - Agree that the LWB Chevy would probably tow a bit better, but what do you do for power? 454?? I'll take the V10 myself.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:03 AM
Ian F
Elder User
Here's a question for you guys.

A few years ago I saw an extended Ford van that had a very interesting hitch on it. The hitch pivoted at some point closer to the rear axle and swung on rollers that ran on a rail that arced between the frame. The van didn't have a trailer on it at the time, but I'm guessing the tongue was modified to attached directly to the hitch in lieu of a ball (I can't imagine two pivot points being good).

Is this a Hensley Hitch? Unfortunately, the Hensley site kinda stinks as far as pictures go ('Come here and spend $3000, but we're going to give you crap for info on our site!')

Old 07-07-2005, 08:15 AM
reno94
Freshman User
I too tow a 6200# travel trailer with my 02 E350 ext have a WD hitch no sway control an it tows great and like QuadVan states the extra room really comes in handy.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Gene W
Elder User
Hi Ian,

I can't recall the name of the hitch that you are describing, but it isn't the Hensley. (Tow-Rite comes to mind, not sure) The hitch you are talking about uses the original trailer hitch to provide up and down movement but attaches to the tongue in such a way that it prevents the side to side movement.

The Hensley uses your standard receiver and all of it's equipment attaches to the trailer, even the drawbar. They offer an extra gizmo that goes under the foot of your tongue jack that facilitates some side to side movement of a heavy trailer during hitching.

I know a man that has one and swears by it as the cure for his white knuckle towing experiences of the past. He had tried everything else including the Reese dual cam setup without success. I went with a heavier tow vehicle myself.

Farmer,
The 12 would be better for towing right out of the box, but I have noticed the GVWR is lower on the twelves than the fifteens, but so is the curb weight, so it probably is a wash.

You also have the option of converting that 15 passenger van to a dual rear wheel setup for more stability in the rear if it doesn't meet your expectations for towing. They look pretty cool with the duals on them.

If it already has the towing package on it and is near your home you might try a test tow with the van and your trailer to see how the combo work together.

Gene

Old 07-07-2005, 09:47 PM
Casey
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ian F
The hitch pivoted at some point closer to the rear axle and swung on rollers that ran on a rail that arced between the frame. The van didn't have a trailer on it at the time, but I'm guessing the tongue was modified to attached directly to the hitch in lieu of a ball (I can't imagine two pivot points being good).
That's a Pull-Rite hitch. I used to have one, it is the only hitch that works as well as a Hensley.

The spring bars are different than a regular hitch, they keep the trailer from pivoting at the ball. The tongue of the trailer is not modified.

Old 07-08-2005, 05:45 AM
Adventure
Senior User
I tow with a 15 P Extended without any problems. Bought it with the V-10 for that one purpose. My only issue is that I wish now I had a lower rear end ratio. The 3.73 is fine for the straight aways but on hills I can really get bogged down once I start towing over 4000 pounds. The 4.30 would most likely take care of that situation. I also have dual wheels and a set of roadmaster active suspensions installed. Wouldn't mind installing air bags next.

Old 07-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Gene W
Elder User
That's it Casey, Pull-Rite. I have heard that they take some getting used to for cornering and backing and that it can be a real shin buster in a parking lot. How did you like it?

Here is a link for anyone that hasn't seen one.

http://www.pullrite.com/pullrite.htm

And some info on the Hensley

http://mday.day.net/hensley.html

Gene

Old 07-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Bear River
Former ******
I am not the one driveing, but my Dad has a 15 passenger that he tows our camper trailer with. It has the 5.8 V8 and handles very well. However, I am considering the possibility of converting to a dually for better stability. I think its stupid that the rear track on these vans is narrower than the front track.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Gene W
Elder User
Here is a short article that addresses the nature of different tow vehicle and trailer combos and finishes with a comparison of the two hitches mentioned above. Very informative and pertinent to this thread.

Gene

Quick Reply: 15 passgr tow handling??