Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

94 Explorer ABS Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Repsher
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 Explorer ABS Problems

Not every time but a few times each time I'm driving my 94 explorer 2WD 4.0L it feels as though the abs kicks in under normal braking. I get that pulsating feeling in the brake pedal while stopping normally. It feels like the abs is kicking in even when it's not suppose to. Does this point to some problem in the system? Brake fluid is full, I haven't looked at the pads yet but I got it inspected a week ago and the guys said nothing. Any suggestions?

Old 07-03-2005, 11:55 PM
Jharger
Posting Guru
Yup - that's what mine does. I have a manual and when downshifting hard and braking, I get that. Sometimes you may hit an oil spot or dirt on the road and you do get a little slippage and the system is doing what it is supposed to. You do realize that Ford advertises longer than normal stoppong distances with ABS systems, right?

Old 07-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Repsher
Freshman User
so this is nothing to worry about?

Old 07-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Jharger
Posting Guru
I'm not worried about mine. when it happens, it lets me know the ABS is still working. I haven't drivien your car. You'll have to assess wether this is "normal" or not. if it's dry and flat - hit the brakes hard. You should get a normal braking action. If there is water, dirt or bumps in the pavement, a wheel could slip and then the ABS kicks in.

Old 07-04-2005, 10:53 PM
ranger_punkin
Freshman User
I had a similar problem in my 91 Ranger with rear ABS. The ABS light would come on occasionally, but the most troublesome was the feeling the ABS was trying to engage on dry pavement under normal braking.

The problem stopped after removal of the rear diff cover, and replacing the fluid. I think the problem was a bit of shavings or debris was interfering with a sensor in the rear diff. It completely cured the problem. Whether or not it may solve the problem in yours, it could be a different problem, but it certainly couldn't hurt to change the fluid in the rear diff.

Old 07-05-2005, 03:33 PM
maa139
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ranger_punkin
I had a similar problem in my 91 Ranger with rear ABS. The ABS light would come on occasionally, but the most troublesome was the feeling the ABS was trying to engage on dry pavement under normal braking.

The problem stopped after removal of the rear diff cover, and replacing the fluid. I think the problem was a bit of shavings or debris was interfering with a sensor in the rear diff. It completely cured the problem. Whether or not it may solve the problem in yours, it could be a different problem, but it certainly couldn't hurt to change the fluid in the rear diff.
If this is the route you take (and it's not a bad one), take an extra 30 seconds and pull the sensor out of the top of the pumpkin and clean it off. It's a magnet and if any debris is stuck to the sensor, it could still cause the abs light to go on even with new gear oil.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Repsher
Freshman User
Just reading the manual said to put the explorer in reverse and at 5mph hit the brakes hard, 4 to 5 times, gonna try that, but if that doesn’t help do I have to pull the whole back rear diff. cover off and if so how do I refill it with gear oil, I assume you would need to do that right? And I don’t think there is a refill slot like in a manual gear case but I haven’t taken a good look at it. Thanks for the help

Old 07-10-2005, 01:31 AM
Jharger
Posting Guru
Apples and oranges. The rear diff fluid has nothing to do with the ABS system. There is a sensor in the assembly that looks at the two sides of the pumpkin for slip. But that's not the fluid. Someone else suggested pulling this sensor and cleaning it. But there is also a sensor at each front wheel that can go bad. They typically throw an error code the lights up the ABS light on your dash. If you want to change your rear diff fluid - have at it. The fill is a plug on the drivers side up high. the gas tank is pretty much in the way so you need a hand oil pump to get the fluid in. And after, when the ABS acts the same way you need to figure out if it is normal of not.

Old 07-10-2005, 09:06 AM
maa139
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jharger
Apples and oranges. The rear diff fluid has nothing to do with the ABS system. There is a sensor in the assembly that looks at the two sides of the pumpkin for slip. But that's not the fluid. Someone else suggested pulling this sensor and cleaning it. But there is also a sensor at each front wheel that can go bad. They typically throw an error code the lights up the ABS light on your dash. If you want to change your rear diff fluid - have at it. The fill is a plug on the drivers side up high. the gas tank is pretty much in the way so you need a hand oil pump to get the fluid in. And after, when the ABS acts the same way you need to figure out if it is normal of not.
I agree and disagree. Most of the time the light comes on because of the rear sensor. Not always, but most of the time. And yes, the fluid has nothing to do with the functioning of the abs system. However, if the fluid is old and dirty, and there are any shavings from the gears floating around in the gear oil, they will eventually find their way to the sensor - which is a magnet. If the sensor gets covered with shavings, the magnetic field between the sensor and the ring will be interrupted and the light will come on.

When I suggested cleaning the sensor, I did so for two reasons. First, when my abs light came on, I pulled the rear sensor and cleaned it. The abs light went off and stayed off. Secondly, changing the gear oil is never a bad idea - especially if it is original and the truck is driven in conditions where it might get contaminated. As long as you are under there, why not pull it and wipe it down...an ounce of prevention...

Old 07-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Jharger
Posting Guru
Fair enough.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:46 AM
wtppower
Freshman User
Too much thought in this one. My ABS was engagin on dry pavement...sometimes.....at any speeds...usually low ones. The problem was a dirty sensor. I pulled it out, cleaned it off, and realized that the mechanic that last put them in DIDN"T replace the O-ring and DIDN'T lube it a touch on re-insertion, causing it to crimp a little, letting in all the gunk. GET NEW O-rINGS for the SENSOR. It just needs to be cleaned off though.

My Explorer book walked me through it no problem.

Good luck.

Old 07-15-2005, 09:06 PM
Repsher
Freshman User
One, to be clear my ABS light has never come on, I can just feel the ABS sensation in my petal. WTPPOWER, when you say your "Explorer book" do you mean the manual passed out in ever explorer or the very detailed manual you can buy at say Autozone? Where is the ABS sensor? I'm in the midst of selling my '79 F350 trying to get her all cleaned up so I haven't had time to address this problem but the brakes work well still. Hard to reach manual gear oil refills suck but if this is the best route to take I'll do it.

Old 08-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Craig789
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Repsher
One, to be clear my ABS light has never come on, I can just feel the ABS sensation in my petal. WTPPOWER, when you say your "Explorer book" do you mean the manual passed out in ever explorer or the very detailed manual you can buy at say Autozone? Where is the ABS sensor? I'm in the midst of selling my '79 F350 trying to get her all cleaned up so I haven't had time to address this problem but the brakes work well still. Hard to reach manual gear oil refills suck but if this is the best route to take I'll do it.
My 94 Explorer has what you described - occasional rubbing feeling during normal braking. I don't think the pulses per second is fast enough to be the ABS. It is definitely more of a sticky shaft feeling. It feels like it needs a good shot of WD40. I don't see any actual brake fluid leaked, but the forward, lower quadrant of the booster is missing paint as if master cylinder leakage were occurring. I will probably change the master cylinder if no one responds to this post with a better suggestion.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Snotserp
New User
Checkout this link. This is a very common problem that not to many people seem to know about.
http://www.carquest.com/techbulletin...QB%2002-02.pdf

Old 08-27-2005, 01:34 PM
Craig789
Freshman User
Thanks Snotserp!. Awesome Post. I think you hit the nail on the head. I'll let you know what happens. The mention of rust seems correct, since the sensor doesn't want to come out of the hole, or move at all. Excuse me while I go find my bottle of Liquid Wrench.

Quick Reply: 94 Explorer ABS Problems