Sponsored by:

sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 07:45 PM
big1992bronco
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sway bars

hey has anyone found a quick disconnects for their truck, i have a 92 bronco with a 4" lift and the sway bars still fit, but it sucks wheeling, it would be nice if i could disconnect them quickly then go down the trail rather then having to unbolt stuff, i am looking for them on the front and the back, if ya know where i could find some that would be great.

Old 06-29-2005, 03:33 PM
cje07
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by big1992bronco
hey has anyone found a quick disconnects for their truck, i have a 92 bronco with a 4" lift and the sway bars still fit, but it sucks wheeling, it would be nice if i could disconnect them quickly then go down the trail rather then having to unbolt stuff, i am looking for them on the front and the back, if ya know where i could find some that would be great.
I think I saw some at JC Whitney online? Not 100% sure though. CRAP...just did some checking they were for Jeeps. The product was from Rough Country. I would check their site to see if they offer a Bronco/F-150 alternative. Good luck and let us know!

Old 06-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
just take the sway bars off you dont need them. ive had mine off for 2yrs now with no issues and running 6" lift

Old 06-29-2005, 08:07 PM
IndySilverAnny
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I replaced two of the top bolts on the front one with clevise pins and cotter pins. Use Stainless so they won't rust. Then just knock them out, tie them up out of the way when you hit the trail. I also used a bolt wth a large wingnut on the rear swaybar.
You can get everything at your local hardware store.
I drive a Mustang also, and really noticed the extra body lean in the Bronco without the swaybars.

Old 06-30-2005, 06:46 AM
cje07
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IndySilverAnny
I replaced two of the top bolts on the front one with clevise pins and cotter pins. Use Stainless so they won't rust. Then just knock them out, tie them up out of the way when you hit the trail. I also used a bolt wth a large wingnut on the rear swaybar.
You can get everything at your local hardware store.
I drive a Mustang also, and really noticed the extra body lean in the Bronco without the swaybars.
Get us some pics of your setup!

Kem...do you tow alot? I do alot of city driving (no need for articulation) and have to tow my father-in-laws trailer once in awhile...not heavy stuff by any means. Will this affect my towing capability...I have a six inch lift also.

Old 06-30-2005, 08:56 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i havent towed with my bronco yet. but around town driving or even on the hwy i dont notice any more roll then before. if your gonna tow leave the rear sway on and take the front off.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:37 AM
IndySilverAnny
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, That setup was on my 88 that I sold. I don't wheel my 91. It's too nice to risk dents and dings... plus having the Mustang hobby, a kid, another on the way, and ... well, there's not enough time for more than one major hobby.
Anyway, It's pretty straight forward. I see no reason to remove them for street driving and occasional off-roading. Maybe you won't notice much difference in everyday driving, but if you were to have to make an emergency manuever, you might. As far as towing, I think there's a reason the towing packages have both swaybars, in addition to dual shocks on the front.
My 88 had the towing package, and I noticed a difference between the two. In fact, I took off the rear swaybar and put it on my 91. If the dual shock mounts wouldv'e been easier to remove, I wouldv'e taken them too.

Old 06-30-2005, 10:56 AM
tbm
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
before i removed the swaybars on my '87 every time i drove over a manhole cover it was bone jarring. after removal the ride improved tenfold. i tow all the time with my '78 sans swaybars no prob. i don't believe swaybars have anything to do with towing. but don't take my word for it, remove them, try it out, i can guarantee you won't put em back on.