North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Newbie here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 11:32 AM
jwcorder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie here.

I posted in the parts section but I thought I would announce here as well. I just inherited a 1970 Ford F-100 Shortbed. I believe it has a 352 with 4 barrel carb but I don't really know how to tell the difference. My bro just always complained that it got about 8 miles to the gallon.

Anyway, I need some frontend parts. I want to go back as close as original as possible. I need Grille, Headlight housings, both front fenders, front bumper, pretty much everything on the frontend (it was hit in the front when someone pulled out in front).

The trucks been sitting awhile but little body rust I am sure there are hidden problems throughout. I am going to get a battery early this week and see if she fires up.

I need reputable parts resources / junk yards / slavage yards in the Winston-Salem area. I live in Ronda, NC and will drive as far as Greensboro/High Point/Lexington/Boone area to get A+ parts. I cannot afford to go new for the grille and fenders but I want the best quality used parts that I can afford. I would prefer no bodywork just sand and paint for the fenders. Same for the grille and headlight housings. Any help is much appreciated. This is my therapy right now and I am working on a very tight budget.

Thanks.

Old 05-11-2005, 07:50 PM
jwcorder
Senior User
Wow, no one in NC who knows of a honey pot for parts?

Old 05-11-2005, 09:11 PM
artj66
Senior User
One place to try is McLamb's in Fuquay Varina. I've been able to find many different things from them for trucks and race cars. There's another place in Raleigh, but you better be prepared to lay in the mud and pull your own parts. I'll dig through my receipts to see if I can find the name. There's also City Auto Salvage in Durham, Ashworth Performance in Fuquay Varina, and Bell's in Mooresville (I think).
Hope that's enough for ya to get started.

-AJ

Old 05-12-2005, 05:42 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
AJ, City wont have anything that old. I think their cutoff is 8 years.

Riding around always looking is the best way to find parts.

John

Old 05-12-2005, 01:03 PM
jwilson0265
Junior User
jwilson0265

john is right the best way is to go look,maybe carolina-classic over in durham nc mite have some of though parts.maybe.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:00 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Let me offer something, that I found the hard way.

You are excited about the new truck, an that's OK, but take your time and don't rush along unless the deal of the year drops in your lap. I have waaaaay toooooo much money in my current driver. I have a project that because I have bought and sold parts for, feel I can finish it out and not be so far in my wallet.

Most projects take much longer than most guess that it will, and can get frustrated and stop. Use the guys here and at NCFTO to help you along and keep you encouraged when you will need it.

John

Old 05-13-2005, 06:36 AM
artj66
Senior User
That's exactly it. My project was a freebie given to me to rebuild, and i'm already looking at the cost involved at doing the project. It won't be cheap, I'll guarantee that. But the fun of doing the project, no matter how long or how much it takes, that's what's I'm doing it for.

-AJ

Old 05-13-2005, 12:55 PM
jwcorder
Senior User
I am not in a hurry to do anything, other than get the truck running properly. I realize that it will be a long journey to restore this truck. But I should be able to get it "road ready" fairly quickly. Then pace myself for the long haul. It is important to me to get the truck running. Then it's more important to restore it the truck I know it can be.

Old 07-02-2005, 11:17 PM
slash31938
Posting Guru
Pull-A-Part juckyard, not sure about winston salem, but down in charlotte we gots some good stuffs.