Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Bronco II
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Freshman User

Alpha7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question 1986 Ford Bronco II Stator Assembly/Pick Up Coil

I made an attempt to communicate with goalscorer2 in reference to his post of June 13th 2005 0106 hrs, on the removal of his vehicles' distributor. His success prompt this post. My situation is as follows...It appears, that the removal of my distributor, must be tasked. I wish to replace the Stator/Pick-Up Coil Assembly Unit within the distributor. I own a 1986 Ford Bronco II, with a V6, 2.9 Litre, 177 cubic inch engine. The Distributor is located at the rear of the engine. There does not appear to be enough vertical room for proper removal of the distributor due to the configuration of the upper intake manifold. My questions are 1) Will I have enough room to remove the distributor, after the cap is removed? 2) Will I have to remove the upper intake manifold? 3) What is the overall length of the distributor base with shaft? In addition can anyone direct me to where I can purchase Vehicle Shop Manuals? There is an interesting article on "For All Ford vehicles 1983 through the mid-1990's" entitled "Thick Film Integration IV,(TFI-IV), Module Failure" at http://www.coolcats.net/tech/troubleshooting/tfi.html, Thanks, to all who respond.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:14 PM
Rub my Belly

97Centurion is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you remove the Distributer cap you will have plenty of room to pull the distributer. Mark the base of the distributor and the block so when you put it back together the timong will be close. Also note where the rotor is pointing before you pull itso when you put it back together it will be pointing in the same direction. Do not crank the engine while the distributor is out. I hope this helps a little. I'm sure someone will be along that can be a little more technecal than me and that can awnswer your other questions.
1988 Bronco II (Mall Krawler)
1995 Mustange GT
Old 06-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Freshman User

Alpha7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
97 centurion...Great advice...I hope to tackle this job on a clear weather day. I will post my results.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:26 PM
Junior User

goalscorer2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
sorry just got it today.. you prolly have it done already..yeah with the cap off just make sure you mark where the rotor is before you pullt he entire assembly out as it will turn about a quarter when it start go get pulledout due to the gears on the bottome of the dist.. mark wherethe rotor ends up for future reference... when you pull it out we pulled ours drivers side as it wasnt much of a clearance issue.. when removing gears there are tow holes in the bottom... where the small pin is... one hole is on the gear tooth and the other side is between the teeth.. its important that these go back the same way.. other than that you can have a shop pull e the gears off or in my case a hammer and a 2x4 though at the end we havd to file the rotor end down just a little to put the vanes back on... if you have nay more questions im here but everyone else has a pretty good idea of whats going on with it soo...
Old 06-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Posting Guru

Monty06 is starting off with a positive reputation.
when you are changing your stator/pick up coil make sure you align both holes and replace that pin don't use the old one again trust me .
check the gear for any nicks or missing points etc.. clean the shaft with some wd-40 and clean the module base before putting it all together.
remember to add some dielectric grease to the module base.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:32 AM
Junior User

goalscorer2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
wd 40 is a must .. mine was impossible to spin until it got cleaned off with that stuff... thought it had seized up bu it was just the amount of crap inside
Old 06-21-2005, 01:32 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Bronco II

Tags
1986, 1989, 29, 87, assembly, bronco, centurion, clearance, dist, distributor, distrubitor, ford, gear, ii, pickup, removal, stator