Sponsored by:

How to check ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 12:56 AM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
How to check ball joints?

Lately I have noticed that I am getting a slight clunk in my front end when coming to a stop and turning. It is not bad, but I have never noticed it until a couple of weeks ago. Could bad ball joints cause this? I have no funny tire wear but does that rule them out? If so, how do I check them? I have never really messed with my TTB so that is an area on my truck that I am not too familiar with, any other things to look for, like bad bushings?

Old 06-03-2005, 08:21 AM
occb2
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most likely the clunk is your suspention or mounts. To check your ball joints, jack up the front end. Take a large pry bar....you shound have two people.....place the pry bar under the wheel and pull the pry bar up. Person number two should be looking for movement on the ball joints. Also Ball joints do cease. If thats the case then it's hard to check and then you have to change them.

Later,
Rob

Old 06-03-2005, 11:21 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If the ball joints are the culprit, they will be loose enough to feel movement up and down with the wheel lifted off the ground and just using your bare hands. If it takes a pry bar to get them to move, they are most likely still tight enough to be doing their job. Besides, with enough force applied, the balljoints WILL move a bit. They are supposed to in order to keep to keep wheel camber when rounding corners. They are designed to compensate for "roll" and sway. If you are still concerned that the balljoints are the problem, keep an eye on the inboard 1/3 of the tire tread. When ball joints die they allow camber to slip causing the inner edge of the tire tread to "CUP" which makes the tread lugs wear into a saw-tooth pattern.

While you have the wheel jacked up, might as well do the same test from side to side and check your tierod ends as well. They may also be the source of the clunking.

Old 06-03-2005, 11:21 AM
iagainsti
Senior User
check your u-joint coming from the passenger axel. I have a clunk as well. When I jam the palm of my hand on the u-joint closest to the 3rd member I hear the noise. Just another thing to check out with the TTB

Old 06-03-2005, 08:38 PM
Streetgang
Elder User
Also just for kicks.....take a look at your radius arm bushings, tie rod ends, center link. Its always fun tracking down a noise.

My friends all make fun of me because even if I hear a very slight noise that was not there the day before......I am off to the races looking for the cause......its like getting to be a detective and mechanic all in one!

Old 06-04-2005, 12:12 PM
bronco_94
Junior User
I have the same problem, when i turn a corner or go over a hill off road i hear a click..click noise and i just had the front u-joints replaced. i wonder if it is the auto lockers. does my bronco have a stock locker in the real axel also? 94 eb. 302 w/od

Old 06-30-2005, 11:17 PM
ChargerFan
Senior User
bronco-94, not sure if you found the clickclick, but it could also be the little clips on your front brake pads. They can click when they're not tight on the brake caliper/pad.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:36 PM
armoredcar
Freshman User
Radius Arm Bushings check them with a pry bar and see if the radius arms moves, dont judge the bushing by looking at it. They can be worn out and still look good that is why you need the pry bar. If these are the culprit... we'll pray for you because I wouldn't wish that repair on someone.