Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Someday I'll learn...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 09:59 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someday I'll learn...

Well, I was silly enough to let my sister take my truck to Pennsylvania towing her horse trailer since her truck is still down. She managed to blow the driver's rear tire, tearing the inner fender liners, rear mudflap and running board mudflap off, as well as the chrome molding around the fenderwell. Also beat the bedside to hell. i understand that tires will blow, and for some reason the Coopers that came with this truck seem to like to separate the tread before they wear out, but there is always a telltale vibration long before it lets go. And if that wasn't bad enough, she didn't tighten but 2 of the 8 lugs, so she was really riding on sheer luck there. I have the type lugs that seat through the rim, because of the aluminum rims. Imagine the luck, though, of having a 7000 pound trailer that I found out also had brake problems, riding all that distance on 2 lugs... not a pretty thought. I have already been through what happens when the wheel separates from the axle, not fun. But then she didn't even tell me about it, I had to see the damage before anything was said, and then acted as if in was no big deal! Over $200 in parts alone, and she just blows it off! Not even an offer to pay for any of it, not even the tire! I guess she doesn't want to use it any more, because that's exactly the way it will be! Some people...

Old 05-16-2005, 10:09 PM
nogo73
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to bad to hear that..

Old 05-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's aweful rude of her. Especially with YOUR generosity. Plus that kind of cash doesn't just fall out of the sky for you right now either.

Old 05-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it makes you feel better, I let a friend borrow my 89 and he burnt the clutch out of it. Hence he was going to (and still plans too at some point) buy that clutch from four_by_ford.

Old 05-17-2005, 10:03 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Makes you wonder why we are kind enough to allow them to use our stuff, Huh? Sad thing is, the majority of the people I would let use my stuff would have had some kind of remorse over it, but not family... but then she just expects everyone to do what she wants them to do without having to worry about the return...

Old 05-18-2005, 11:27 AM
69 and 85
Elder User
I had a tire loose it's tread without warning.... the load was heavy and I didn't feel a thing (wife's truck- b4 we got married). Had sim. damage, but on an old truck and we didn't feel a thing.

I guess I kinda feel like the tire was going to go and maybe she didn't notice anything - not being her truck and pulling, etc. So I don't know that it's her fault, BUT just the sheer use of your truck.... I would think an oil change and something out of appreciation would be in order (truck parts would be good). I have a friend that we trade favors and sometimes things happen- the friendship is more important than a lost or broken tool, but we always treat eat other to meal or a tank of gas, etc just to say "thanks".

She's still your sis.... stinks about your truck, but you know you'll vent a little and move on. She's worth more than $200 - (even if she's a knuklehead with the lug nuts!!)

Take a picture... I might have the trim or something I can give you.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:45 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Yeah, the post was more venting, but the problemswith the use of the truck have gotten to the point she just will not be using it any more all the same. The tire appeared fine when she left, and her record of stopping when problem present themselves is not real good, she cracked the heads on her truck the first time when she blew the upper radiator hose and kept going, the second time when they were continually dumping water through it and kept on running it without fixing it... for over 3 months. She has destroyed more vehicles powertrains than anyone I know, makes me nervous to let her run my truck anyway. She doesn't have the money to fix her own, so I definitely don't want her tearing up mine too.
I'll have to snap some pics later, you might bne able to see in my gallery good enough to see what I need. The liners are totally missing, I can get a back one here, but will still need the front one. The mud flap from the running board will have to be gotten I imagine with a running bourd, it is the style that has the raised ridges and the anti slip black on it. The rear mudflap I will have to buy new, because it was one of the long but semi narrow ones. The heck of it is that those were mudflaps with the stainless at the bottom, and they sell for $60 or more, but to make them more special, they had a dealer name and the Ford oval on them from South Dakota. They looked real nice, now I just have one. The other thing that had really ticked me off is that she had promised to pay me some of what she owed me so i could pay bills, then when she got back, convieniently didn't have the money. She just blew $460 on fuel to run it out there, and then couldn't pay me so I could keep things like phone turned on... and then was indifferent to the additional expenditure as well. Just kinda torqued me... It may not be the prettiest truck out there, but it looked good for the age and condition. If it was a total beater I wouldn't care, but eventually I would like to pretty it up a bit.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:23 PM
69 and 85
Elder User
Y, the damage stinks. Give'n what you've said - it was REALLY generous of you to take a chance on her. Sounds like she's pretty rough on vehicles.

What really puzzles me is you've always helpful and generous to ppl here and willing to take on tasks, etc. The snapshot I get of your sister seems like she is nothing like you.

Well... I am sorry about the damage to your truck and more so that your sister either doesn't understand or doesn't care about it. She apparently doesn't know what a good brother she has.

Old 05-18-2005, 10:35 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
My wife wonders how we came from the same family too... it would seem she takes after our father, and I follow my mother's thinking closer... the sad thing is, the Cummins project I am going to do will be hers... I cringe at the thought of how it will be after a while, but it's her cash that is being spent on that. Just makes me shudder at how a nice crew cab that will be set up well by the time I'm done will probably be run into the ground...