1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk after leveling kit install

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 04:33 PM
Bigsilver95
Posting Guru
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Clunk after leveling kit install

The truck is an 03, cc long box, 4x4, 6liter. Installed a leveling kit, i want to say tuff country, anyways, now there is a predominate clunk from under the left from, right below the feet. Any ideas what it is? My buddy has the same truck, same kit, same problem ,niether of us can find it.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:40 PM
high ho silver
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need more info. Does it clunk while turning or going over bumps? I have a tuff country add a leaf leveling kit. If this is what you have you may have to do what I did. I had to put some homemade synthetic spacers under each end of the new leaf. I got a "goose" sound when going over bumps and a clunk when turning before this modification.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:34 PM
MRBASS
Elder User
I also did the add a leaf and have never had any issues at all on my 02 F350.I did retorque the U bolts a couple weeks later and managed another full turn on each nut, and I did coat the spring with grease on both sides before I installed it but thats it. Will be interesting to see what ya'll find..

Old 05-14-2005, 10:44 AM
snakebit
Senior User
Originally Posted by high ho silver
Need more info. Does it clunk while turning or going over bumps? I have a tuff country add a leaf leveling kit. If this is what you have you may have to do what I did. I had to put some homemade synthetic spacers under each end of the new leaf. I got a "goose" sound when going over bumps and a clunk when turning before this modification.
Silver, how did you attach them to the spring and what did you use for material?

Thanks.

J.

Old 05-14-2005, 08:59 PM
high ho silver
Posting Guru
I used a disc grinder and cut a small grove in the middle of the material. Have never had any problem with them coming out. I wish I could tell you what the material was or where I got it. You see I'm am a pack rat and I have no idea how long I even had them. I have a picture of the add-a-leaf in my gallery but it doesn't show the end of the leaf. If you would like I can take a picture and add it to my gallery.

Old 05-15-2005, 04:31 AM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 207 Likes on 112 Posts
Check the trac bar for correct torque on the mount bolts.

Old 05-15-2005, 09:49 PM
Bigsilver95
Posting Guru
not an add a leaf, complete new leaf springs. I will check the trac bar, thanks. The clunk is mostly when going over bumps, but occasionally when turning left, and the bump is most common when the left tire hits a bump that the right doesnt

Old 05-16-2005, 10:40 AM
1MUTCJ7
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bigsilver95
The clunk is mostly when going over bumps, but occasionally when turning left, and the bump is most common when the left tire hits a bump that the right doesnt
Thats funny. I have a clunk noise after installing my DR 2" Mini Pack. I hear it when I go over bumps. Except, I hear it also when my right tire goes over bumps and not when my left tire does.

I will check my track bar bolt as well.

Old 05-16-2005, 11:22 AM
AustinS
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a front sway bar, check your end links. I went nuts until I removed them completely to diagnose, and the clunk went away.

Austin

Old 05-16-2005, 05:08 PM
Sean02SD
Senior User
Maybe the best idea would have been to have left it alone? Seriously, why folks shell out money to basically damage their trucks is beyond me. Maybe if I could figure out the advantage to a "leveling" kit it would make more sense.

I mean, here we have a truck which is running fine. Then we buy insane "attachments" which then make the truck clunk, shimmy, rattle and God knows what else and for what? What was the goal in the first place??

Old 05-16-2005, 05:50 PM
1MUTCJ7
Junior User
Originally Posted by Sean02SD
Maybe the best idea would have been to have left it alone? Seriously, why folks shell out money to basically damage their trucks is beyond me. Maybe if I could figure out the advantage to a "leveling" kit it would make more sense.

I mean, here we have a truck which is running fine. Then we buy insane "attachments" which then make the truck clunk, shimmy, rattle and God knows what else and for what? What was the goal in the first place??
I understand your logic, but many people use their trucks for more than driving around town and sitting at stop lights.

Some people, like me, worry about getting your truck high-centered off-road or getting stuck in the mud from the stock pizza cutter tires. Lifting my truck 2" (leveling kit and F350 rear blocks) gives me a little extra "comfort" for clearance, as well as allowing for bigger tires for better traction. I could really use at least a 4" lift, but I don't feel like climbing into a huge truck everyday. So, a leveling kit is a happy medium.

Hopefully this helps you figure out the advantage of a leveling kit.

Old 05-16-2005, 06:05 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is you have this clunk check you sway bar bushing that are attached to the front axle not the sway bar ends though check those also. grab the bar and try to move it up and down and foward and back. if there is any movement, i mean any at all that is likely where your cluck if from. i have had a number of superduties come into work with a complaint of this clunk and that fixed it everytime! if your bushings are bad i would recommend getting new one from ford though since i have had bad luck with aftermartket ones being the corect size. hope this helps all you clunkers out there.

tim

Old 05-16-2005, 08:48 PM
Bigsilver95
Posting Guru
Does this look like i can leave things alone?

Before.... stock and 180 RWHP

After.... Not stock, and 314 RWHP

Old 05-17-2005, 12:40 AM
nwo
Senior User
Hey Big Silver, That front Bumper looks a little diferent from stock, Did you have to get pulled by Chevy??LOL

Old 05-17-2005, 09:15 AM
DesertDiesel
Junior User
Lightbulb

I just fought this battle with my 6" Donahoe Racing kit. After torqueing and loosening and re-torqueing; lubing, replacing bushings, disconnectin and reconnecting sway bar links, I called Donahoe. The engineer said to take the weight off of the spring and spread the leafs and clean and lube the pads that reside at the ends of the leafs. Clunk is now gone. I think with my 6.0 puking coolant down the pack, it disolved the paint on the springs and caused some build up.

Hope this helps.

Sam

Quick Reply: Clunk after leveling kit install