2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Screw Subwolfer

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 11:42 AM
gyrojon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Screw Subwolfer

I have been searching for a subwolfer box for my 2004 Screw. The only option I have found so far is purchasing a factory system from Ford or Ebay. There are many options for head units, door speakers, etc., but little to be found on subwolfers. I am not looking to thump my neighbors, just some base improvement in the cab.

Last edited by gyrojon; 05-06-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:46 AM
mw1063
Junior User
By installation I believe you mean box?? MTX makes a Thunderform box for the screw that I believe comes with a 12" sub.

Old 05-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Truckasaurus
Senior User
I bought the dual 10" sub box off ebay which fits nicely under the rear seat. It has less than 1 cubic foot of air volume to push so anything you buy for under the back seat will not thump your neighbors house, so don't worry about it. The bass response from such small compartments is tight and solid versus a big boomy shake the change on the dash bass you get in large box/trunk style applications. I run the two subs off one mono amp and it brings the entire system alive.

I also have Infinity Kappa's in the front to raise the bar on the clarity. Bottom line is most anything you can buy to fit into the truck will not blow out your windows and even if you got enough power to get more bass than you want, its better then to spend a bunch of money and not have enough. That's my thought anyway. Good luck!

T

Old 05-06-2005, 02:28 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
one single 10" box is enough, and you don't have to worry about finding a new home for your jack if you go with a dual box. I got one from supercrewsound.com. Then I added the MTX Thunder 4500 sub with dual voice coils, and it's wired up to my MTX Thunder 251D amp pushing 250 watts. Sounds great in the cab, and you just hear it a little bit on the outside.

I'm just using the stock head unit, it wires up very easily to that amp because the MTX amp has high level speaker level inputs. I just tapped into my rear speaker wires. also, for better sound up front, I have Kenwood components in my doors, 6x8 mid-range and seperate tweeters. Overall, I only got $400 into it.

Old 05-08-2005, 12:14 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

[QUOTE=SteveVFX4]snip
Then I added the MTX Thunder 4500 sub with dual voice coils, and it's wired up to my MTX Thunder 251D amp pushing 250 watts. Sounds great in the cab, and you just hear it a little bit on the outside.
snip
QUOTE]

Quiet steel.

I was doing some work in my garage, today and as I just broke my garage sound system,(bad case of clumsy) I thought I would just play an MP3 disk in my F-150.

Right. I was in the truck and turned it up till it was deafening, then hopped out and closed the door to stop the beeping. I could barely hear the music. I could hear the bass, but it sounded like it was playing in the neighbors yard, not three feet away.
I had to run the windows down and open both passengers doors before I could get any worthwhile sound.

How much soundproofing is there in these trucks? I know there isn't anything extra in the doors, or under the dash, been there.
The steel seems to quiet the sound WAY better than anything I have ever seen in an American vehicle.
I like it.
Chris

Old 05-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Bozack
Junior User
gyrojon just to throw this @ you / I haven't heard anyone else mention this BUT I built my own enclosure that fills everything under the back seat using every inch avalible flush up front except under the pass. side & mounted 1 - 10" Punch sub in it. Used the mounting holes that are there on the seat frame to anchor it down tight ( if not I believe it would hurt someone - Ha Ha) I went w/ the Kappa's front & rear w/ NB-1 tweeters mounted above the vents on the doors / w/ my PG 4channel 1,000W amp powering everything / I can either listen to my tunes or POUND my tunes & let everyone listen also. I'm shocked to hear soo many people say they can't get the bass they want out of these trucks..? The first thing I did was yank out that stock H/U because they are yunk. I know they look clean in the dash BUT really aren't worth keeping if you want good sound. I went w/ a double din Clarion & w/ a dash kit filled in & looks great

Just to give you an idea what I spent - I did have credit w/ Crutchfield but always check w/ their scratch & dent section because you can find a great deal in there & they stand behind that as if it were a new item also. I get all types of audio @ below wholesale prices also from a friend that owns a car audio installation shop locally.

Clarion H/U = $80 locally
dash kit double din =$15 Crutchfield
PG 4channel 1000W amp= $47 locally
Kappa's x2= $140 Crutchfield
10" Punch = $40 Crutchfield
enclosure / box = $12 /MDF scraps I had ,wood screws & doubled them up w/ glue
PG Amp wiring kit = $8 locally
NB-1(Power Acoustic) tweeters = $8 locally

So I spent somewhere around $350 & I can honestly say it sounds a lot better than I expected & the bass is more than I need.

I'd be willing to help anyone out so if you have any ?'s feel free to ask

Last edited by Bozack; 05-08-2005 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:10 AM
transam396
Senior User
hey bo how bout some pics of your box? and maybe some measurements to go along with it and what was model number of your head unit i've been kinda curious as to if the pioneer head unit out of the sporttrac and the ranger would work in these trucks

Old 05-09-2005, 08:46 AM
rcknrbn
Senior User
Speaker size

Guys, thanks for all of the input regarding upgrades. I like the idea of a single sub box under the rear seat and not having to find a new home for my jack. Sounds like the MTX amp. will fit fine under the front seat.

I've read that either the 5x7 or the 6x8 will fit in the door enclosures. Can anyone tell me what size they have replaced their OEM door speakers with?

Thanks.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:00 AM
Truckasaurus
Senior User
Regardless of the box you use, I still suggest putting the amps off the floor and behind the rear seat. Its a perfect fit.

Chris, I totally agree on the sound proofing point!

T

Old 05-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Bozack
Junior User
transam I'll get some pic's posted soon / I have to go out of town this week so when I get back I'll figure out how to post them // I'll just create my profile page maybe w/ everything.....
As for the measurements I think I remember its something like / 31"x19"x8.5"
that is the basic measurements but its an odd shape getting as much air space as I could w/out raising the seat or making other adjustments. The rear seat will lift up to give you approx. an 1.5" more than it is resting so you can make use of even that space. I will pull the box out when I get back to get you the exact measurements

The Clarion H/U is : ADX5655Z MAGI-TUNE - Hpower 45x4 - tuner /compact disc/cassette player w/ spectruim analyzer its an older model but I picked it up brand new locally from my buddy w/ his shop so I was very lucky. Its all I need

Good luck

Old 05-09-2005, 02:18 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Truckasaurus
Regardless of the box you use, I still suggest putting the amps off the floor and behind the rear seat. Its a perfect fit.

Chris, I totally agree on the sound proofing point!

T
I cheated on the amp, I use a little Rockbox amp, and it fits nicely behind the black surround below the airbag light. That black thing pops off from the side, and there is a fair amount of room in there. Not big enough for a 400 watt, but plenty for 100-200. I was worried about heat, and considered adding a 2.00 cooling fan, wired to run when the amp came on, but my amp never gets room temp under there, so I didn't bother.

I only have a 240 watt eight inch subwoofer, so a 100-200 is plenty.

The Supercabs need more bass, I suppose, but in the regular cab an 8 inch is 'bigger' than a 10 inch in a Supercab, or a 12 inch in a Supercrew.
Another reason I like my 'little' truck.
Chris

Old 05-09-2005, 05:45 PM
thumpmaster
Freshman User
Q-Logic makes a box that fits under the rear seat. I have one with a n Infinity perfect 10.1 inside, and powered by a Rockford Fosgate Punch 400 amp. Plenty of thump without being an overkill.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:44 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by rcknrbn
Guys, thanks for all of the input regarding upgrades. I like the idea of a single sub box under the rear seat and not having to find a new home for my jack. Sounds like the MTX amp. will fit fine under the front seat.

I've read that either the 5x7 or the 6x8 will fit in the door enclosures. Can anyone tell me what size they have replaced their OEM door speakers with?

Thanks.
as I mentioned in my earlier post, I put 6x8 components in my front doors. There is one pic of them in my gallery. I did not replace the rear door speakers because I did not feel like removing my rear door panels (Screw).

That MTX amp does tuck neatly under the front passenger seat. I run my sub with that amp, and the door speakers are run off the factory head unit. Now if you get another amp to run the door speakers, then I'm not sure where to put that?