1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rustoleum Semi-gloss

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 12:43 AM
59'er F100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rustoleum Semi-gloss

I was at alocal carshow Sat eve and saw a crazy thing. It was a backwoods "prostreet" 63 with a decent black paint job. I asked the guy if it was DP-90, and without missing a beat he replied "Rustoleum semi gloss...Walmart...7.50 a qt!!!" I was and am still amazed! what will they think of next???
Ryan

If I can, I wil post a pick in my gallery!

Old 04-13-2005, 01:24 AM
low springs
Junior User
i did my 54 chevy with Rustoleum. you have to thin it out 100%. it will dry to the touch in an hour but it takes a couple of days to fully dry. i painted it a couple of years ago and its still holding on without it turning gray.

i wouldn't recommened painting over it though.

Old 04-13-2005, 06:48 AM
ke6bnl
Senior User
Originally Posted by low springs
i did my 54 chevy with Rustoleum. you have to thin it out 100%. it will dry to the touch in an hour but it takes a couple of days to fully dry. i painted it a couple of years ago and its still holding on without it turning gray.

i wouldn't recommened painting over it though.

we painted the interior of my boys truck with it it looks great, and he can touch it up with there spray cans.
I plan to paint my old dually with it will thin with a fast dry solvent. glad to hear your results. and painting over doesn't sound like a good idea like you say Ed ke6bnl

Old 04-13-2005, 07:08 AM
59'er F100
Senior User
You say you have to thin it 100%?? Do you thin with mineral spirits?? How well does it go on? I am considering this only becuase I can not afford to do it the right way (still a college student!). All your help appreciated!

Old 04-13-2005, 10:24 AM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw the pic and like the result for a low buck paint job. What kind of spray equipment did he use.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:07 AM
shortyforty
Junior User
I painted our 59 with a gallon of paint from VIP AUTO. I think it was DUPLICOLOR paint for $29.99 a gallon. There were no directions on how to reduce it so I just winged it. It kinda smelled like Rustoleum paint, not like real auto enamel. It took a couple days to really dry and several months until anything like synthetic rags would no longer eat into the paint. A week after painting, a tree leaf fell on the rear fender and left an impression.
I painted the frame on my wife's car with Blue Rustoleum mixed with a little silver Rustoleum to get a metalic color. It looks real good, Shiny and tough. Maybe I'll try painting my 63 Falcon with it.

Dan

Old 04-13-2005, 03:38 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish I had the big bucks to have the best paint job on my 51. But it came down to the question, do I want to drive it, or look at it sitting in the garage and wish I was driving it. I sprayed it with John Deere Blitz Black, it came out ok as far as I'm concerned. It get complements everywhere I take it, I had a hard time getting the yardman, at the local hardware store to get my wood this morning. All he wanted to do was look at my 51 and tell me about his 57 Chevy sitting in his garage.

Rod

Old 04-13-2005, 04:16 PM
ke6bnl
Senior User
Originally Posted by 59'er F100
You say you have to thin it 100%?? Do you thin with mineral spirits?? How well does it go on? I am considering this only becuase I can not afford to do it the right way (still a college student!). All your help appreciated!
I plan to use Naptha 1:1 will see what happens Ed ke6bnl

Old 04-13-2005, 10:34 PM
59'er F100
Senior User
Keep me posted ED ke6bnl!!!

Cobraguy, I just met the fella that night, so I dont know what equip. he used.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:04 PM
six7seta
Senior User
if you look in my gallery i acutally painted my truck with flat black spray paint. cost me about 40 bucks in primer and paint. and its very easy to touch up!

Old 04-14-2005, 07:55 PM
mc
Junior User
I have been looking at the Ace/True value brand, probably rustoleum in a different can, paint for a few months.

they have a outdoor metal paint for machinery/farm equipment for about 30.00 a gallon that i am going to experiment with on my 56 f500. They will mix it in about any color, but also feature premixed colors in popular machinery/equipment vendors, like international, deere, ford, allis, and a few others. The offer 3 shades of primer, 2 of which can be wet sanded. I think it is also a "rust stop" product.

I figure the original paints couldnt be much better 50 years ago. Plus this isnt going to be a show truck, more of a working attention getter for our vineyard/winery. I can fill it with empty wine barrels, put the "open today" sign on it and park it at the end of the drive way. It'll also haul 10000lb of grapes. So i am can risk a high dollar paint job. Between the tipsy drivers and the grape pickers 30.00 gallon sounds good to me.

I have one of these all in HPLV sprayers, that has the turbine fan and gun in one unit that i am going to spray it with. I have sprayed other enamos with good results.

I think the ACE can says what to thin it with. Plus if i get a pre mixed color i can always do a quick touch up with the rattle cans they offer.
just my 2 cents, i'll let ya know how it turns out. Glad to here others have tried with the rustoelum products

MC

Old 04-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Slowgo53
Freshman User
I also used the Rustoleum rattle can on my 53. It goes on just like the can says, very smooth and no runs. I will be removing all of my front sheet metal for body work and plan to expoxy prime and repaint with the Rustoleum satin black.

The best part is that I keep a can under the seat for times when a little scratch occurs. Sometimes I "accidentally" scratch it on purpose at the cruise-in's just to have a reason to touch it up. My freinds get a kick out of that. Exspecially the ones with $7K paint jobs.

Old 04-15-2005, 05:24 PM
ke6bnl
Senior User
Originally Posted by Slowgo53
I also used the Rustoleum rattle can on my 53. It goes on just like the can says, very smooth and no runs. I will be removing all of my front sheet metal for body work and plan to expoxy prime and repaint with the Rustoleum satin black.

The best part is that I keep a can under the seat for times when a little scratch occurs. Sometimes I "accidentally" scratch it on purpose at the cruise-in's just to have a reason to touch it up. My freinds get a kick out of that. Exspecially the ones with $7K paint jobs.

YOUR MY KIND OF GUY, there is more to life then polishing cleaning and idolizing your car, then I have to say I do enjoy looking at all the pretty stuff and I like all kinds but for me there is way more then that to having fun. Plus I live on a dirt road those cars couldn't make one trip up to my place with out filing a claim with there collector car insurance. I can wait for the primer nationals, and the Blessing of the car and all the down to earth real people home built car shows this year. Good luck and have fun Ed ke6bnl

Old 04-15-2005, 06:26 PM
IBlock6
Freshman User
Krylon has a "stop rust" rattle can paint that looks pretty good, too. It is "semi flat" and comes in black, white and grey. It is a little less shiny than the Rustoleum Satin Black, but, has more gloss than a flat paint. I am getting it from a Kragen parts store. I think it shows less spray lines than the satin black. (I have both on my truck now) A quick tuch up before any car show or cruise and you are good to go!
Conor

Old 04-15-2005, 09:57 PM
huronfarmer
Senior User
buddy of mine seems to paint all of his toys with rustoleum. he buys a gallon of gloss black and uses a little 2-3" roller and does the whole thing....of course its not for anything that goes to a show, but works nice for his mud boggin vehicles, etc. goes on nice, and its real tough.
i used rustoleum on my frame, and it says to thin like 4 to 1 with acetone. i did that, and it looks like a million bucks. not bad for $24 a gallon....and then i can touch up with spray bombs if i have to...
my buddy "rolled" his 78 international cabover truck rustoleum black too....its looks real, sharp, even 10 ft away...but if u get REAL close, you can see the textured appearance left behind by the roller.....if one were to use a spray gun, you could get a nice finish too.....
Darrell

Quick Reply: Rustoleum Semi-gloss