1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Exorcising The Rust Demons ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:59 PM
oddshot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exorcising The Rust Demons ...

I'm preping/rebuilding my 82 F100 ... putting in all the Good stuff from My Old Gal ...

I've pulled out the seat and floor mat ... and all the sound deadening. I found a couple rusty patches ... mostly under the plastic trim that holds down the floor mat at the door opening. Nothing bad at all ... just a couple of passes with the wire brush ... and some rusty metal primer.

THEN I pulled out the kick panels with the vent sliders on them !!!! There had to be about 20 pounds of a thick, rich, black humus and leaves, dead baby birds and mouse nests in there!!! I washed it all out and checked ... NO RUST AT ALL. I also hosed out the grill below the windshield wipers ... and repeated until I got every thing out and clean water flowing through.

The black rubber vent valves behind the front fenders were in place and in good condition ... they were just plugged up with leaves.

If you haven't ever been there before ... I'd pull them vents out (pulling the glove box AND the park brake pedal assembly makes the job easier) and clean all the crap out.

Also take up them door plates (4 screws in each) and clean the dirt and etc out of that channel.

anyoldways ...

While I got it apart ... where else should I look for hidden rust ...

and secret sin?

oddshot.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:16 PM
stanggt84
Senior User
First I'd like to say that I'm jealous of how well preserved your cab was. The only other place that I can think of is the cab corner area inspect that carefully that was what finally made me get into redoing my cab. My cab corner and rocker area rotted out to the point that the driver door wouldn't close unless I reached back and pulled the B pillar forward. If you've never tried that I don't recommend it because it is an awkward reach and there are some sharp edges to deal with there.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
The radiator support, right where the body bushings attach. Looking down from the top

Old 08-17-2009, 03:25 PM
oddshot
Senior User
Thanks ... I checked the radiator supports ... hosed them out ... all is OK.

I also checked the body mount holes AND the corners and rockers ... Shes clean and good to go!

BTW ... I've seen a LOT of rot on cars over the years ... especially back in the days of vinyl tops.

The hood on my old 84 rotted out!!! Right across the very front of it. From the inside out!!!

oddshot