1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dual tanks and spare tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2001, 05:54 PM
tom_moss
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been trying to figure out where the spare tire is supposed to go on our 1980 F250 Xcab 4X4 with dual tanks. On our 1978 F250 Xcab 2WD (dual tanks), there is a U-shaped bracket under the back tank that looks like the spare tire is supposed to go there. Is it supposed to be the same for our 1980? If so, how are we supposed to get the tire up and down from there? Does anybody have pictures of the spare tire carrier for the 1980 dual tank model?

Thanks,
Tom

Old 01-20-2001, 06:05 PM
rc351w
Senior User

I assume that it goes under the back tank like you said. Thats where it is on my 85 F150 w/dual tanks. I cut the d@mn thing off the first time I had a flat and couldn't get the wingnut loose to get the tire off. It might be a good place for one if you wash it frequently, but for those of us who don't wash the underside of our trucks after playing in the mud or winter driving (road salt) they seize up tighter than a bull's @rse.

RCC

Old 01-20-2001, 08:54 PM
jakegypsum
Posting Guru

Tom, It does go under the rear tank. It bolts up basically the same if there was no rear tank. Use plenty of WD-40 on the hardware so that you don't have a rust problem with the hardware. Even if you are not a 4-wheeler type driver, the hardware can still be a problem. Good luck.

Jakegypsum // Ford fleet, soup to nuts.

Old 01-21-2001, 04:01 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster

Theres little clips that the screw's for the bolt and eyebolt to connect too on the frame. I bought to new ones at Ford for around $5 a peice. You can buy the new bolt and eyebolt, if you need to.

1980-1996's are the same.

Pastmaster's 1993 XLT 5.0 E40d 3.55LS Normal Cab/Long bed Loaded from the factory with aid of...MSd 6a ign/s.p. wires, blaster coil, Hypertech Chip, K&N filtercharger, Cat-back dual exhuast w/o mufflers, 3.5", echo tips, Accel distributor cap, Dark Mocha over light mocha. 5% Dark tint, Alpine Cd player/remote, Pioneer speakers.

toydestroyer1(No Email Addresses In Posts!)

Old 01-21-2001, 04:05 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

Hi, here is a picture of what the passenger side looks like with the eye bolt under the back tank with a trailer hitch it just drops down then release the retaining bolt in the center and remove the spare John

Old 01-21-2001, 06:10 PM
bgodkin
Elder User

Just a little trick I learned over the years with these. if you coat the top part of the threads on the eyebolt with white lithium grease and push a piece of rubber hose, I believe 1/2" diameter over the exposed and greased threads it will keep your eyebolt working good. The grease will keep any corrosion off of it and the hose will keep junk from sticking in the grease. This has worked really good for me over the years. You still need to pull the hose off about once a year and clean the threads and apply more grease but you will atleast know that your spare is accessable. Hope this helps.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 01-21-2001, 09:44 PM
jakegypsum
Posting Guru

Brad, That is a very cool idea. I think that I will try that out.

Old 01-22-2001, 10:14 AM
bgodkin
Elder User

Thanks Jake,
I know growing up in upstate new york we use to have to think of ways to keep things from rusting up. They use more salt on the roads up there than I don't know what.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 01-22-2001, 04:42 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

Brad, I have a dodge mini van sitting in front of the house right now that is white I really don't know what color it is under all of that salt but it came from upstate N.Y.
John

Old 01-22-2001, 08:20 PM
jakegypsum
Posting Guru

Brad, We don't get the snow like upstate New York, but we get our fair share in New Jersey. We use a lot of calcium and rock salt when we plow. I get a lot of salt residue on the tail of my truck so your trick will work good. I will do it to my brothers truck as well. He trailers a boat, and because of this his truck takes a pounding at the boat ramp. Salt water is tough. His trailer is always in need of attention.

Old 01-22-2001, 08:36 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

Jakegypsum, where in N.J. are you? I'm from Brigantine
John

Old 01-22-2001, 08:47 PM
jakegypsum
Posting Guru

Hey John, It is a very small world. I am from linwood. Crazy. People on this forum from basically all over the world and here we are, 15 minutes apart. Howdy neighbor.

Old 01-23-2001, 12:51 AM
bgodkin
Elder User

Hey John,
They sure do love the salt up there. If you see a vehicle more than 5 years old without rustholes then you know it isn't from there lol. Thats one of the reasons i have stayed here as long as I have, I love being able to crawl under my 15 year old truck and have bolts turn. Take it easy

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 01-23-2001, 08:53 AM
tmcalavy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, your spare carrier goes under the bed/tank. But unless you like crawling around in the muck, considering putting it somewhere else. For about $20, you can buy a spare carrier that you can mount just about anywhere in your bed. No need to get wet and mucky when changing a flat, and a lot easier to check the spare's air pressure occasionally. Check auto parts, accessory and especially farm/feed stores in your area.

Old 01-23-2001, 04:23 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

Brad, yeah I know when I went up there with my truck everywhere I went people looked at it or tried to buy it One guy offered me $7000 for it I was going to sell it but couldn't find another one so I passed on the sale. the mini van went home today, holes and all!!!! LOL it was dark blue under all that salt I wiped a spot to see. John

Quick Reply: Dual tanks and spare tires