Coil Over Suspension for 1974 F100

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 11:19 AM
MrScharfenberger
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coil Over Suspension for 1974 F100

Hello everybody...

Does anyone know of a good coil over rear suspension kit built for drag racing that is built for a 1974 Ford F100. I recently twisted my poor old leaf springs into some great new shapes at the dragstrip. I don't want to replace the stock components because I know I will just do the same things again. Does anybody have any ideas?? I have got to get the power to the ground better than I already am.. You can check out what I am working with from this link: www.MrScharfenberger.com/F100

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Old 03-31-2005, 12:03 PM
jstandle
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Stick on a 4-link and call her good. You might try Art Morrison at www.artmorrison.com for suspension stuff. I've never used them personally though.

Tell me thats not a FRAM oil filter I see on that beautiful motor?!?

Old 03-31-2005, 12:11 PM
MrScharfenberger
Freshman User
Yep...that's a FRAM....I need to get another MotorCraft on there....ooppss...

Old 04-01-2005, 01:58 AM
good 'ol ford
Senior User
unless im up way to late and my eyes are starting to play tricks on me, it says motorcraft right on it in big redish letters. eh what the heck i need to go to bed anyways

Old 04-01-2005, 07:39 AM
MrScharfenberger
Freshman User
Well after going to the local HotRod shop.......the owner(guru) and I decided that a Floating Housing Kit and Ladder bars were the way to go.....So that is what I am doing. I ordered the parts and hope to have it all in and installed in about 1 1/2 weeks. There will be a bit of fabrication to mount the ladder bars because there really is no good kit for what I am doing. It is pretty much a build your own with generic 9" parts. We will see how it turns out. I also blew my rearend out when I did all the other damage. It is looking like a Currie unit with a full spool 35 spline 3.89 gear. This should be fun!!

Old 04-01-2005, 06:14 PM
whatdyisit
Junior User
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't traction bars solve your problem for a lot less $$?

Old 04-02-2005, 01:08 PM
MrScharfenberger
Freshman User
Traction bars are only good for so much power. I am laying down a good bit right now and am plan on hitting it with about a 300HP shot of Nitrous. I have already destroyed one rearend due to extreme wheel hop and I don't want it to happen again. I think the extra time and expense will be worth it in the long run. Check back later to find out for sure!!

Old 04-02-2005, 09:03 PM
big inch
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A set of ladder bars should work fine. That's what I have run on my F100 for several years of racing and have yet to break anything back there *knocking on wood*. I even ran the stock 31-spline axles with a spool up until about a year ago.

What kind of times have you run with it so far?

Old 04-03-2005, 10:18 AM
MrScharfenberger
Freshman User
So far I have only run the 1/8 mile at Ohio Valley Raceway here in Louisville, KY and I have run a best of 8.22 @89mph…..with a crappy 2.3 60 foot time. I have to walk it off the line pretty far before I can give it all it has. I am hoping that the ladder bars help out A LOT in this area. If I give it all I got when the light turns green it just jumps up and down and breaks things!! With the motor on one end and the Sticky Mickey’s on the other I just twisted my stock rear suspension into cool modern metal artwork.....

What do you have/run and what kind of times are you turning in??

Old 04-03-2005, 12:57 PM
big inch
Elder User
That's a pretty good mph. If you can get it to hook, you should be well into the 7's with your current setup.

I am running a '75 F100 swb. It currently has a 514", alum. Blue Thunder heads (Chevy exhaust), C-6, 4,500 9" Art Carr stall, 4.11 gears, 10-pt cage, etc... My best time in the 1/8 is a 6.78 at 101. 1/4 mile best is a 10.81 at 123. I hope to get it a little faster this year with some more tuning, but I can't complain.

Last edited by big inch; 04-03-2005 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:58 PM
MrScharfenberger
Freshman User
I just realized I forgot about this place and I saw your last post. Do you have any Pic's of your truck?? I would love to see it.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:16 PM
big inch
Elder User
Yeah, I have some pics of the truck and a video of one of my dyno pulls. I'll try to figure out how to post them tomorrow.

I have been taking a break from racing this year. I have gotten more into off roading for the moment.

Old 07-07-2005, 05:23 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the sound of a good 4 link, with heim joints and quality parts. The project Copperhead on 'TNN's 'Trucks' had a nice system fitted to it. With what you are doing with that beast, I think this is your best bet... By the way, I have never been to a 1/8 mile track; what would you run in the 1/4?
Mark

Old 08-26-2005, 03:31 PM
MrScharfenberger
Freshman User
Well I now have a set of Chasis Engineering Ladder bars and a Chasis engineering Ladder bar cross member...Now all I have to do is put the stuff in there..... I have since blown up my motor (I sucked in a bolt and destroyed a piston) and am also working on building a new one. I will post the spec's shortly on my website. I have now moved my website to a faster server so downloading the video's shouldn't take as long as they did before.

www.MrScharfenberger.com/F100

I will get back with some more photo's of the new build along with some full shots of installing the Ladder bar set up. I think I am going to take the bed off to do it. More to follow........

Old 08-28-2005, 10:52 PM
big inch
Elder User
I forgot all about posting any pics. Here is a dyno video of my truck:
Click here to see the video

I don't remember exactly what it made on that pull, but eventually made 551/713 with some carb tuning and timing changes.

Last edited by Torque1st; 09-25-2005 at 03:36 PM. Reason: fix links

Quick Reply: Coil Over Suspension for 1974 F100