1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Inherited '52 Ford Pickup HELP :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 01:31 PM
TinaB
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inherited '52 Ford Pickup HELP :)

Please forgive the blantant request for help - but my brother passed away recently and left my daughter his 1952 Ford pickup. The truck is in barely driveable condition in Montana and we live in So. California. We are totally commited to keeping the truck for my daughter to use (she's in vet school and needs a dependable vehicle) which I know sounds foolish, but the truck has huge sentimental value to us both.

All that said, can someone suggest a) a towing company to get the truck to So. California, b) a reputable mechanic to work on the truck in CA or MT, c) a So. California Classic Ford Truck club we could join?

Thank you for your kindness in any response. - Tina

Old 03-28-2005, 01:44 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Tina,

Welcome to the site and sorry to hear of your loss.

You should get the truck to SoCal if it means something to you. Most likely, your transport bill will be more than the truck is worth (depending on condition). There are plenty transport companies/brokers available. However, make sure that you choose a good company that won't rip you off.

When I had my Panel truck transported from Arkansas to NorCal, I went with the cheapest company. Six weeks later I still didn't have my truck. I then found a company called A1 Transport based in Redding, CA. They charged me the same price, around $700, and had the truck at my door in about 3 weeks. Keep in mind that it would cost a few hundred dollars more to transport a non-running vehicle.

I would strongly recommend A1 Transport in Redding, CA. Look them up on the internet.

As for clubs, there should be an F100 Elite club or something like that in your area. F100 club is primarily '53-'56 model years, but a few '48-'52 have joined.

Good luck!

Ilya

Old 03-28-2005, 02:36 PM
48fordjeffie
Senior User
Smile Inherited '52 Ford Pickup

Tina,
I would also join the Early Ford V8 Club of America. This group has helped keep the flathead era alive for over forty years and it was started in California. They put out one of the best bi-monthly magazine on old cars out here.
There is also a web site dedicated to 1948-52 Ford trucks. It is Bonusbuilt.com. It is down right now. Hopefully it will be back up soon. Like this website you can get valuable information from people all over the country.
I am sorry for your loss. Getting your brother's truck running will be a great way to keep his memory alive.
Good luck and Welcome Aboard!
Jeff Barker
Syracuse, N.Y.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:29 PM
TinaB
Freshman User
Thanks for your comments Jeff and Ilya. I really know almost nothing about the old truck, someone just told me my brother had replaced the motor with a Lincoln overhead valve engine and that would make the truck a '53 or '54... guess we'll just have to hope the paperwork narrows down the details.

Assuming it's a 52-54 does anyone know where I can find the specs for the height/width/length of the truck? Sounds silly, but I'm trying to make sure it will fit in the garage (my house is pretty old) before having the tow company bring it to the house.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:33 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry for your loss Tina and to your daughter, this site is home away for home for a lot of us and we are glad to have you aboard, I can't help you with your transportation dillemma but the guys (gals) on the site are great people and they will do what they can to help. You are in good hands FF56

Old 03-28-2005, 03:58 PM
fordcountry
Senior User
Tina,

I hope this helps:

I just inherited a '55 F250 (father did NOT die, gave it to me). I moved it from Portland, OR to Spokane, WA on a Uhaul car hauler. It BARELY fit but it did work. I had to add a couple extra chain tie downs.

The trailer dimensions were 94 1/2" wide and 133" long. The trailer was rated at 4,000 lbs and the truck was rated at 3700 lbs.

Good luck!

Last edited by fordcountry; 03-28-2005 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:18 PM
Keone
Freshman User
TinaB,

First of all, sorry to hear of your loss. As Jeff said, "Getting your brother's truck running will be a great way to keep his memory alive".

Second thing is that I'd have to agree w/ fatfenders56 with this site. The people are great, friendly, and just full of information. You've made the first good move on posting here on FTE. And remember, there is no dumb question, so ask away because someones always got an answer.

I recently hauled my 54 from Las Vegas to North Phoenix, AZ and I, like fordcountry also used a Uhaul car hauler. It's a shorter distance than what you have but I recommend it if this ends up being the route you take.

I also had the same question on truck dimensions before moving it here. Just wasn't sure if it would fit in my garage. So with that said, I have some rough dimensions on my 54.

Height - About 6 feet 10 inches
Length - Approx. 15 feet 6 inches
Width - Approx. 6 feet 6 inches

Again, these are rough measurements from my 54. The 53 & 54 body styles were pretty much the same. The body style on the 52 in a little different so I wouldn't have a clue. Another thing I almost forgot, is that my truck is a short bed and I don't recall reading if your truck was short or long.

Hope this helps,

Keone

P.S. I can't remember if I needed to provide a wheelbase measurement to Uhaul, but my 54s wheelbase measurement is 110 inches. If you go w/ a hauling company, they also may ask.

Old 03-28-2005, 05:26 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome
Your truck should be about 190" front to back +/- a few
76 or so inches at the top of the cab
75 inches wide with a +/-
It should weigh about 3300 lbs.
Stick around the site for awhile, someone will show up with more help for you.
Everyso often there will be someone in the car/truck community that is going to pickup a vehicle and have an empty trailer, you may be able to hook-up with them and get your truck relocated.

I think an Early Fifties Ford Pickup would be the perfect vehicle far a Vet, it would instill a sence of trust and grounding in her customers.

Old 03-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Keone
Freshman User
TinaB,

Almost forgot, here are a couple of great websites from 2 FTE members.

- http://www.business.uiuc.edu/mwc/53_ford_f100.htm

- http://www.clubfte.com/users/earl/index.html

Lot's of great information from both sites.

Also my truck weight is 3300 lbs. Also something the transport company may ask.

Keone

Old 03-28-2005, 06:58 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TinaB
Thanks for your comments Jeff and Ilya. I really know almost nothing about the old truck, someone just told me my brother had replaced the motor with a Lincoln overhead valve engine and that would make the truck a '53 or '54... guess we'll just have to hope the paperwork narrows down the details.

Assuming it's a 52-54 does anyone know where I can find the specs for the height/width/length of the truck? Sounds silly, but I'm trying to make sure it will fit in the garage (my house is pretty old) before having the tow company bring it to the house.
52 had a different body style than 53/54 model years. 53/54 shared the same body style. Either way, dimensions would be about the same.

From what I remember, Lincoln OHV engines were used in larger trucks, F6-F8. If the truck is a larger size, then it definately will not fit into your garage. An F1 truck should not be a problem fitting into a small one car garage. You might have to let out some air in the tires to get it through the garage door.

The best thing would be to get the VIN and post it here. Most of us would be able to tell you more about the truck from decoding the VIN. On '52 model years, the VIN was located in three places:

1. Upper right hand (passenger side) corner of the firewall (inside the engine compartment)
2. On the inside of the glove box door
3. Either on the right or left front section of the frame rail (usually from the front to the wheel)

The easiest ones to find are the first two mentioned. The third location is a bit harder to see due to all of the road grime and dirt that is usually on the frame.

I don't know much about the VIN locations on the '53/'54 model years, but they might be in the same location. I am pretty sure that some will post a response to this.

Hope this helps,

Ilya

Last edited by 51PanelMan; 03-28-2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:24 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
FedEx?!

Believe it or not, FedEx has a car hauling division and from what I hear it's reasonably priced. It doesn't go by air, obviously, but in covered vans. You might also check with local small car dealers who buy at auctions, they generally have a line on car haulers and may be able to set you up.

I'm sure you're probably focused on the sentimental aspects of this right now, but restoring an old truck is not for the faint-hearted, cost- or time-wise. It may easily take a year or more to make it safe and reliable, could cost anywhere from $2k to $15k. Don't kid yourself that it may only take a couple grand or a couple months. But if you do it, it will just become that much more special to you!

Old 03-29-2005, 12:41 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Tina, this group is always glad to help - we're glad you asked and as the others have said, I'm sorry for your loss. May God comfort you all.

Is there anything I can do from this end? I'm in nw Montana.
Where is the truck located?
Do you need it secured to a location where you can deal with it at your leisure? It wouldn't cost you anything to park it in the line up with my old trucks in the pasture.
I have access to a trailer that would haul it.

I drive a 48 daily and have a 52 waiting in the wings so I'm pretty familiar with the trucks of this era.
Tim

Old 03-29-2005, 01:44 AM
TinaB
Freshman User
Can't tell you how much I appreciate all the good info. Working on the transport now and that looks do-able.

I wish I had easy access to the truck to check the year (will post the VIN info if I can get a copy of the registration), but figure it doesn't matter since we're keeping it in any event. Really a kind offer from MTFLAT but the truck is safe with family for now. I also appreciate the headsup about the cost of rebuilding it - you're right and the expenses will add up quickly to get it fixed properly.

Once I get it down here I'm sure I'll be posting questions relating to getting it up and running better - it runs now but has suspension/steering and brake issues that I have been told to check right away - so don't know if having it ready for my daughter in early June is at all viable but I'll just have to wait and see.

Old 03-29-2005, 05:59 AM
sancochojoe
Senior User
Make sure you get some digital pictures of the truck and post it on the forum so we all can get a look at it.

Old 03-29-2005, 06:36 AM
azwafree
Senior User
Call Corey or Lynn at AADA Shipping in Bellingham, Washington. He's a small company with 3 or 4 trucks that run between the Northwest and California. The number is 253-826-8876. They don't charge extra for insurance and you always get the same drivers. I've shipped often with them and will place delicate cargo on top, if possible.

Quick Reply: Inherited '52 Ford Pickup HELP :)