6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

What does an IPR valve do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Hunter40
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does an IPR valve do?

I have an 04 6.0 and have had problems since new with the engine not wanting to restart after it gets really hot. They have replaced egr valves and an icp. Now they just replaced the ipr valve and said that was the culprit. What does this do? Could it cause this symptom?

Old 03-25-2005, 05:11 PM
jackofalltrades
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope this answers your question. You made me learn something too.

<DT>I have not researched the validity of the source I got this information from. But it makes sense to me. <DT> <DT><DT>IPR: Injection Pressure Regulator <DD>Output; The PCM controls the high pressure oil system by varying the duty cycle of the IPR. The IPR controls the oil bypass circuit of the high pressure pump. 0%=full return to sump (open valve), 100%=full flow to injectors (closed valve). The PCM monitors the system with the ICP input. The PCM can control fuel delivery to the injectors by increasing the IPR duty cycle which increases fule pressure through the injector nozzels. PID: IPR (% of duty cycle), MFDES Mass Fuel Desired an internal PCM calculation based on load demand (MG)

Symptom:
No/hard start hot or after stalling, usually re-starts after cool-down; Jerky, irratic idle; Possible DTC#'s P1211, P1212, P1283:
Usually caused by low injection oil pressure or regulator (IPR) valve. High pressure oil is used to pressurize and inject the fuel into the cylinders--each injector is essentially its own injection pump. The IPR is a by-pass valve that controls the high oil pressure depending on demand. The ICP monitors the oil pressure in the LH head.
Check for oil in the upper reservoir; it should be within one inch of the top; add oil as necessary. Verify that the correct oil is being used and that it is not thinned out.
For no-start concerns check Injection Control Pressure (ICP) sensor readings with a scan tool or pressure gauge (500 min), or with DVOM at pins 87 to 91 (.83volt min) while cranking.
By using adapter fittings and plugs you can isolate and measure each cylinder bank to see if there is a high pressure oil leak in one head, or connect both HP oil pump hoses to the pressure gauge to measure pump pressure. NOTE: The 98.5 and later HP oil lines have special couplers requiring special tool 303-625 to disconnect, and tools 303-627 and 303-628 to connect to the coupler along with a pair of F4TZ-9N332-A elbow fittings to adapt to the HP oil gauge hose.
If isolated pump pressure is low, short break-out-box pin 83 to ground to run IPR valve to full duty-cycle. If the pressure comes up (3600 psi) replace the PCM; if it remains low, remove and inspect the IPR o-rings for damage; a kit is available if they are. If the IPR o-rings are undamaged, replace the IPR valve. If there is still low oil pressure, replace the HP oil pump.
If isolated HP oil pump pressure is 500 psi, or only one bank reads low, remove all the fuel injectors and replace their o-rings using the latest kits P/N F8TZ-9229-AA.
If the concern is a jerky, irratic idle when hot, unplug the ICP sensor (will set a code, causes the PCM to default to a pre-selected IPR duty cycle) to see if it the idle stabilizes. If it does, check the ICP voltage with a scan tool or breakout box at pins 87 to 91 with the sensor plugged in and the key on/engine off. It should be .20-.25 volts. If the base ICP voltage is within specs, replace the IPR; If not, replace the ICP and retest.
</DD>

Last edited by jackofalltrades; 03-25-2005 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Hunter40
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jackofalltrades,
Outstanding information, thank you.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:06 PM
DVWoolset
New User
IPR Valve

Has anybody heard of an IPR valve sticking and causing enough oil pressure to build up and dump oil through the injectors and into the motor causing the engine to run off. Or is it even possible???

Old 06-24-2010, 01:25 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by DVWoolset
Has anybody heard of an IPR valve sticking and causing enough oil pressure to build up and dump oil through the injectors and into the motor causing the engine to run off. Or is it even possible???
That's a very good question. In my way of thinking it still takes a command from the PCM and FICM to open the spool valves to allow high pressure oil into the injectors to fire them. The high pressure oil would have to go past the intensifier piston and pintle to get into the engine. Here's a diagram of the injector to look at: http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60...l/ps60_045.jpg

Cheezit is the runaway expert--LOL. Maybe he'll be able to answer.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:31 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
nope not gonna happen any way I see it. but I can still be wrong.
Man I have had a few run off and see a few more. fun fun fun.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:39 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by cheezit
nope not gonna happen any way I see it. but I can still be wrong.
Man I have had a few run off and see a few more. fun fun fun.
I didn't think so either, but I want to know why the question was asked.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:45 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I didn't think so either, but I want to know why the question was asked.
ya im with you on that too.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:50 AM
DVWoolset
New User
Stuck IPR Valve

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you about the IPR. The reason I was asking is, I was driving my truck last week and was have ing what I thought was a fuel issue. Driving around town was fine, but when I hit the Interstate and got up to speed the fruck would serge slightly and then cut out a little. I thought I had better get off the Interstate and when I exited the truck stalled. After a couple of minutes it started again and was able to drive in town. The next time I went to the interstate the same thing happened. So I took it to the Dealership to have it looked at. I was there no longer than an hour and the service guy tells me they had it on the computer and the IPR valve stuck and the truck run away. "Dead truck"

Old 06-29-2010, 10:54 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

So they are saying the IPR valve stuck open (actually closed), the truck ran away, and it killed your truck????

Old 06-29-2010, 12:50 PM
DVWoolset
New User
Yes that is what they are saying. And yes I meant closed. They said its not their fault. The Ford Engineers have said that its not a cause for a run away. But the mechanic who was working on it said the Engineer was wrong. I think he did something when the computer was hooked it and is now trying to cover up his error!!!!!

Old 06-29-2010, 01:13 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
I have never heard an IPR valve cause a run away

Old 06-29-2010, 02:10 PM
DVWoolset
New User
Neither has anybody else I have talked to. Including several top notch mechanics. The only person who has told me it does is the mechanic that was working on it when it run away.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:49 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Sorry--your mechanic is wrong and is covering his AZZ or he doesn't know his AZZ from a hole in the ground. I inquired to someone who builds these for a living and he says NO WAY it can happen. Call SCT and ask them if there is a quirk in the powerstroke programming that could cause it.

Sounds like you're getting ready to have some fun. Don't back down. YOU are NOT wrong here. Something else happened and he can't figure it out. IMHO it's their responsibility since the truck was in their posession, but I'm positive they'll find a way to try to worm out of it.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:38 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by DVWoolset
Yes that is what they are saying. And yes I meant closed. They said its not their fault. The Ford Engineers have said that its not a cause for a run away. But the mechanic who was working on it said the Engineer was wrong. I think he did something when the computer was hooked it and is now trying to cover up his error!!!!!
After a lengthy conversation with a very experienced Ford Master Tech, who might know more than Ford Engineers about a 6.0, he simply says...NO WAY. It still takes a command from the from the PCM/FICM for the injectors to get fuel. An IPR stuck closed simply raises the rail pressure to 4000psi but will not cause fuel/oil to be injected into the cylinders. The tech is at fault or something he did is at fault and he simply is unwilling to pay for his error. You should know what to do from here.

Quick Reply: What does an IPR valve do?