Modular V10 (6.8l)  

$130.00 for Spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 12:37 PM
LANEGRA99
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool $130.00 for Spark plugs

The Guy at the parts store told me that if i wanted to get the best mileage and the most horse power out of my truck then id be better of with Denso iridium Spark plugs, wel they are about 12.30 a piece and i fell for it since i do the work my self then i figure i was not really loosing any thing other than just a few hours of my day(1 hour for 9 plugs and 1 for the last plug on the Pass side) well the plugs did not change much of my performance but i guess that's waht killed the cat

Old 03-22-2005, 02:52 PM
keith w
Posting Guru
The Denso's were the hot ticket on supercharged cars a couple years back, and I guess they still are. But I knew a couple of guys that put them in naturally aspirated vehicles and they did absolutely nothing other than cost a lot of money. Oh well

Old 03-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LANEGRA99
...but i guess that's waht killed the cat
Yea, but we always look for it, don't we? We want that extra little boost. But, if you want more, you gotta pay big for it.

I've not heard of any spark plug that does any better than the ones that came on it.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:57 PM
SMiller
Elder User
Don't the Denso's not last very long? I know they are the best plug's money can buy, but was always told they had to be replaced often...

Old 03-22-2005, 05:35 PM
captchas
no they don't i my case less. pulled them out of my wifes liberty at 20k missfireing. they were worn flat to the porclen. back to autolight for me

Old 03-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
LANEGRA69

I tried to save you that expensive lesson, only because I learned it my self

No to contradict my self...... I still recommend the MotorCraft plugs for the V10s but I have to relate this very opposite reality from LANGRA69 recent experience

In 1986 I returned from Germany to Virgina and promptly bought a house. Needed a truck and bought a new 1986.5 Nissan "HardBody" V6 3.0L plane Jane red truck...manual every thing and NO AIR!

That year Pep Boys was selling the new Bosch Platinum Plus plugs. I bought two sets as they were "on sale" for $1.99 each. I gave (gifted) to one of my son's friends the Nissan last year with over 319,000 miles on it. I put the Platinum plugs in a 30,000 miles and they are still in it and it starts ever time first time to this day. Luther, my son's friend, still has my original "second set" unopened!

Every Ford vehicle I ever owned used plugs up like they were free... Untill these V10s ( first modular motors I have owned)

It took the Aluminum head 'Plug Blow Out Issue" for me to check mine and every 30,000 miles there after.... I can see why Ford is comfortable with 100,000 "tune up" interval... The MotorCraft plugs are as good as the Bosh Platinum Plus and still cheaper...why bother.

FWIW.... I have access to a chassis dyno for cars, trucks, and one for Motorcycles... I have proved to my self time and again that there is NO POWER to be gained in the BRAND or TYPE plug....

Now heat range, gap, and depth is another story!

Last edited by Fredvon4; 03-22-2005 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:34 AM
captchas
test that v10 yet? mine is going to the dyno on april 5th and have a lets see. 2 pulls 1 in tow/haul and 1 out.

Old 03-23-2005, 12:39 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredvon4
LANEGRA69

I tried to save you that expensive lesson, only because I learned it my self

That year Pep Boys was selling the new Bosch Platinum Plus plugs. I bought two sets as they were "on sale" for $1.99 each. I gave (gifted) to one of my son's friends the Nissan last year with over 319,000 miles on it. I put the Platinum plugs in a 30,000 miles and they are still in it and it starts ever time first time to this day. Luther, my son's friend, still has my original "second set" unopened!

Every Ford vehicle I ever owned used plugs up like they were free... Untill these V10s ( first modular motors I have owned)

It took the Aluminum head 'Plug Blow Out Issue" for me to check mine and every 30,000 miles there after.... I can see why Ford is comfortable with 100,000 "tune up" interval... The MotorCraft plugs are as good as the Bosh Platinum Plus and still cheaper...why bother.

FWIW.... I have access to a chassis dyno for cars, trucks, and one for Motorcycles... I have proved to my self time and again that there is NO POWER to be gained in the BRAND or TYPE plug....

Now heat range, gap, and depth is another story!
Great story, we all have a plug story then I guess. Mine is Split Fire, remember the ads ? Gain hp and mileage etc, etc. And then the plugs were $4 or $5 each, which was alot, plugs were .99 cents. Anyway I volunteered on a NAscar, Winston West pit crew (the ad said). When I showed up I saw a tube chassis, no motor and a bunch of body panels in a pile and a back ordered 9" Ford rear-end. Anyway, when we finally got down to the motor it was exciting. We had some real hot engine builder put this thing together, he forgot more than I'll ever know about engines, he had plates in the exhaust ports and lots of tricks he wouldn't even let us see. Anyway, when we go to dyno this bad boy we get a baseline, and he starts messing with it, with everything. One of the things he tried was Split Fires, and it took 3 different tries to convince him, we lost 8 hp. No matter where they were indexed, hot or cold, nothing, they all made less horsepower than the Motorcraft plugs. We still slapped the Split Fire decal on the side, for contingency money of course, we weren't stupid,,,,,, Ken

Old 03-23-2005, 09:39 PM
V10MARS
Senior User
Been tested by every race crew.....

Dubble platinum: Longest lasting (70~100K) worst performing.

El cheepo reg plugs: best spark for 99.9% ign systems. 20~40K life span.

Race plugs: In a different class. Made for monster compression to resist blow out and meld down from the 80 amp MSD ign.

PS. All my Fords get Autolite single platinum plugs.

Last edited by V10MARS; 03-23-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:36 AM
keith w
Posting Guru
I switched over to regular old copper Motorcrafts in my 4.6 Mustang, but they are easy to change I don't think I would want to change them too often in this truck