1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

A redesigned Ranger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 06:28 PM
rkelachim1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A redesigned Ranger?

When oh when will Ford redesign the Ranger? At one point, I had heard the Ranger would be redesigned for the 2004 model year. That obviously didn't happen. Every single competitor has now redesigned their comparable truck (except Dodge, but Dodge's suck anyway); The Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, Chevy Colorado. There are even a couple of additions to the segment with the Honda Ridgeline and Mitsubishi Raider. Every single one of them offers double cab options, slightly larger size, and larger powerplants.

I can't speak for this being a national trend, but where I live, the Nissan Frontier's and Toyota Tacoma's fly off dealer lots as soon as they can get them in while the Ford dealers are sitting on plenty of Rangers and they don't move too well (even with 5K worth of rebates on them).

Just some interesting facts...The Ranger will soon be entering its 13th model year since its last major redesign. The F150 has been redesigned twice in this same time frame. The Toyota Tacoma will surpass the Ranger as the best selling small pick up this model year.

Anyone have any info on when Ford will redesign the Ranger?

Old 03-19-2005, 07:05 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rkelachim1
.............The Toyota Tacoma will surpass the Ranger as the best selling small pick up this model year................
Source please?

Old 03-19-2005, 07:12 PM
xlt4me
Elder User
Rumor has it that Ford is going to let the Ranger die off. It's a shame. Seems that with gas prices headed no where but North, the original idea of a compact pu with an economical 4-banger is / should be back in style.

Old 03-19-2005, 07:17 PM
grease monkey
Elder User
The Ranger is one the best looking compact trucks on the market. The Dodge Dakota and Chevy Colorado look absolutly hitious

Old 03-19-2005, 11:48 PM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
With gas prices and the versatility of the SuperCab, I can see why Ford ain't selling the Ranger like they once did, other than to local parts stores for runner trucks.

Everyone else, Dodge excepted, offers a 4-cylinder X-cab. I am definitely not a fan of Ford v6s, much less v6s in general, but the 3.0L isn't that great for it's small displacement in terms of fuel economy, and the 4.0L isn't a sipper, either, if you can keep that bad boy from botching a timing chain...

Either way, I won't be replacing my 94 2.3L SuperCab with anything newer. The 2.5L SuperCab isn't a huge upgrade for me and the 2.3L D-tec wasn't offered for long with the SCabs.

SuperCab option - 4-cyl = dumb! Yeah, the hardcore "Trucks are reg cab/long bed only!" who are just real cheapies don't care, but run a biz and make food deliveries to several stops in one lengthy run with a reg cab....uh huh. Funny.

Old 03-20-2005, 08:07 PM
35l911
Senior User
used to deliver pizzas in my 04 scab and it's a pain to get them out the back and let me tell you the v6 was abad idea because i was filling the tank everyday i sould have got the regcab with a 4banger

Old 03-20-2005, 09:14 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had a '88 s/c with the 2.3 and yes it was a fuel-sipper, but if you really had a load it would ping real bad 'til you got the rpms over 1500, my current 4.0 isnt as good on fuel as the '88 but 17 aint half bad for a 4x4 s/c ranger (and it gets 20 on a trip) its nice to have the added hp when you need it. as long as it makes ford money, i bet they keep the ranger around, i hope they dont ruin it like g.m. did with there small truck line.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Higgin
Senior User
I couldn't imagine them killing it off...they still sell a ton of them. I don't know if they sell as many as they used to, but its still a very sizable portion of the compact/midsize market, i'm sure. Plus, trucks in general just make the manufacturer more money than a similar priced car.

I get anywhere from 15-23 mpg in my 3.0 5-speed reg cab 4x4. Its anything but fast, in fact, i would bet money that with my 265/75-16 tires, it's one of the slowest vehicles on the road. But I love it. it is the best vehicle I have ever owned, by far.

Old 03-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Torsen Rick
Senior User
Ford had a program to replace the Ranger by '03 or '04. But that program died off around '00 when no one could agree on what it was supposed to be, how big, what powertrains, etc. To the best of my knowledge there hasn't been a new program to take its place. I think as far as Ford is concerned, the Ranger still leads the compact/midsize truck segment as it is with minimal upkeep and the segment as a whole has been shrinking significantly over the past several years. So what's their incentive to replace it? They'd rather spend the money and resources developing the high volume, money-making F-series replacements...

Old 03-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Mr Super Dude68
New User
Ranger

I would love to see a redesigned Ranger. Right now i havea 04 F150 Screw Lariat. But with gas prices the way they are the F150 is just sitting in the driveway So if gas prices stay the way they are I might be thinking about a Hybrid or a Mid Size Pickup. Sence Ford hasnt done anything to the ranger I like the Toyota Tacoma and the Nissan Frontier right now. I hope ford dosent let the Ranger die because im a Ford person but I would never turn down a nissan or toyota.

Last edited by Mr Super Dude68; 03-21-2005 at 05:15 PM. Reason: forgot to put something in
Old 03-21-2005, 05:59 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a face to face discussion with someone well connected inside of Ford last year about this topic. Essentially he told me the segment is stagnent/skrinking and it didn't make a lot of sense at this time to throw a lot of money at it.

Ford already has a double-cab Ranger: the Explorer Sport Trac.

Old 03-21-2005, 07:28 PM
rangercobrar
Freshman User
Don't have any info on ford redesigning the Ranger but god save the Mini Truckers out there if they do. Ford is Virtually the only manufacturer of a true mini all the others have grown to be more of a mid size.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:54 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CowboyBilly9Mile
Source please?
That was a quote from an article on pickuptruck.com.
You would think that now with the rising gas prices, that the compact pickup segment might find a little more life. IMO the reason it's a dying segment is that it has too long been ignored, but now has finally been addressed by the other manufacturers. Also, the Ranger-based Sport Trac is on it's way out, with a new one based off of the Explorer, (with a new SVT concept of it with a 390 HP Cobra motor.) The Ranger is still a great truck, it's just starting to show it's age.

Old 03-22-2005, 07:20 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's my usual response when I hear something but want an established source to be named . I try to weed out opinion based on credentials. It's not just motor vehicles, anything is fair game.

Old 03-22-2005, 10:05 AM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
Nothing wrong with that. Lots of opinions get used as "facts" when people want to try to make a point.

Quick Reply: A redesigned Ranger?