General Automotive Discussion

Cab-over semi's - why are they gone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 02:02 PM
billsco
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JB Hunt is probably the last major carrier that utilized cab overs. They are now trending to conventionals, due largely to driver preference. Cab overs could still see some practical use in short haul, city use where space and visibility are an issue.

Old 03-18-2005, 02:23 PM
yardbird
Cargo Master
Received 473 Likes on 313 Posts
I have driven some of the newer cabovers with the flat floor, raised roof, double bunk, with air ride cab and suspension. They are really nice, ride very well, not as good as a conventional, but very good. They are quite, have a good turning radius, and have more room inside than most any conventional made, with maybe the exception of Volvo.

The main problem is the exit and entry climb. I am getting older now, and can't do what I once could. However, I would drive one of these newer cabovers over the road, but I couldn't do any short haul where you have to get out a lot.

I have worked local driving cabovers without power steering, where you do 20-30 or more pickups and deliverys a day with swing door trailers. You are out and in a combination of around 170-200 times a day. I have tendonitis in my left arm that can be attributed to climbing in and out of these trucks.

Cabovers still could have a place in trucking. The problem is most younger drivers don't want to been seen in a cabover. They see it as a "rookie" truck because J.B. Hunt and Schneider used them as such for so many years. I sold my last cavover in 2002. It was a raised roof, double bunk International.

But as for the future of cabovers, drivers don't want to be seen in them, and they have the aerodynamics of a concrete block, plus, it's no fun jacking up a cab every time you want to look at the engine. So they are probably gone forever.

Old 03-18-2005, 02:41 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. Very interesting posts.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:19 PM
captchas
guess a lot of us drove cab overs, i was a oo for carretta trucking with a co running 3 rounds a month ny to the shakie side. at first i had a pete then added a ih eagle with full air ride boy we could sleep in that one with out useing the belts. the pete had a 1693 ta cat the old 425 hp one and in the sleeper was the air intake pipe which would get on your nerves with the turbo whine. i saw a few wreaks with them widow maker is truly the name for them. i can say it was a lot of fun being the only salt and peper team in the company.loved the long nose when we finally could run them legal

Old 03-19-2005, 03:33 PM
grease monkey
Elder User
Those cab overs are not that aerodynamic, its like putting a brick wall in a wind tunnel

Old 03-21-2005, 03:11 PM
enduringexplorer
Elder User
Actually, the aerodynamics isn't what you think. You have to take in consideration total surface area. The main reason the cabovers are disappearing is the same reason a lot of guys drive pickups. No real need, it's just an image thing. Everything has to be a competition. More chrome, more lights, longer hood. A conventional that comes with a standard hood and wheelbase can haul more, turns better, and costs less, yet these guys all want the longest hood they can find. Nothing more under it, just the big show. One new truck salesman told me it's to compensate for a short..er...uh...-anyway. It's like the guy that has the Superduty with the PSD, yet the only thing he hauls on a regular basis is the wife and groceries. How many of you know guys that own a pickup but never haul or tow? Heck, a new F150 will tow 9000 lbs!! Why get the Superduty? Because "I'm a real man, and I need a real truck" to go down to the coffee shop on Sunday morning for donuts. I know here in Michigan it's real common.

Last edited by enduringexplorer; 03-21-2005 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:31 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate cab overs. Especially the Freightliners. The little GMC and Hino trucks, I don't mind so much. Anyways...

This one Freightliner, I was jacking the cab, and I was nowhere near the balance point, the thing just about went over on me. Had to get 3 other guys to help bring it back, with me keeping it from going all the way.

Another Freightliner, doing an oil change, you have to lift the cab to get the filters. Then you drop the cab to put oil in it. Run it for a while, then lift the cab again to check the level. I don't know why the designer didn't put a filler neck accessible when the cab was up, or a dipstick accessible with the cab down. But it was just that one truck. Who knows?

As to why you don't see them too much, I think they're ugly anyway. From an ease of maintenance issue, I'd rather work on a long nose Pete than any cab over.

Old 03-21-2005, 08:34 PM
85F250XLT
Senior User
I despise having to work on a cabover, thankfully I don't do it but a couple times a year. They are way too cramped in the engine area, I hate having to climb into the cab of one. i'm glad they are gone and hope they never come back.

As far as people making up for a lack of something with a longer hood, I say good for them. The longer the hood the better, nothing like lifting the hood and being able to get to anything on the engine. The short nose crap sucks big time, especially early volvos. Nothing quite like trying to get you liner puller wedged under the dash to get out the number 5 and 6 cylinder liners.

The same could be said about set back steering axles. I know certain places are better accessed with shorter hoods and chassis. Still, I would rather work an a W900, a Classic, or a 379 over a T2000, Century or 387 anyday.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
All of our city garbage collection trucks are cab overs....

All of my dads trucks are conventional Volvos and one IH that won't die, 1.5 Mill and counting.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:43 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I see that most of the moving outfits are still running Cab-Overs.

Old 03-22-2005, 07:54 AM
believer45
Posting Guru
Many of the moving companies around Cincinnati are running the stretched conventionals with sleepers up to 15' long behind the cab. I would not want to get one of THOSE in a tight space.

I have never liked cabovers due to ride, interior room and because I do not want to be first there in the event of an accident - I would rather the N-14 or series 60 take the hit. In 31 years in trucking, some 12 or so as a driver, I never had to take advantage of that so I guess the accident reason is not a big one. I used to sometimes get stuck driving a class 7 cabover that had me sitting in front of the steer axle (GMC single axle) - talk about a rough ride!!

Dave / Believer45

Old 03-22-2005, 10:12 AM
wizzard351
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well all pretty good replys to this one my 2cents is that with the new age drivers that come out of the schools now days cant handle it they got to have new conventionals with air ride cabs ect now alot of the big companys will put rookies in brand spankin new trucks cuzz they wont drive sombodys old hand me down trucks im not sayin that its like that for all of them but a good majority tho i have 2 cabovers sittin here in the yard and the only folks i could ever get to drive them were in there 60's

Old 03-22-2005, 10:34 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nuthin' cooler than an old Crackerbox with a scream'n Jimmy between your legs.....

I think between the length laws and room, the COE was destin to disappear. I think with the right paint job and some long frame rails they make a nice looking rig. Can't say I have ever drove one, but did ride in one. Yup, hits ya pretty hard on the bumps . Them darn sun visors needed chains to hold them up(kept fallin on every bounce).

Old 03-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Bart99GT
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by enduringexplorer
Actually, the aerodynamics isn't what you think. You have to take in consideration total surface area. The main reason the cabovers are disappearing is the same reason a lot of guys drive pickups. No real need, it's just an image thing. Everything has to be a competition. More chrome, more lights, longer hood. A conventional that comes with a standard hood and wheelbase can haul more, turns better, and costs less, yet these guys all want the longest hood they can find. Nothing more under it, just the big show. One new truck salesman told me it's to compensate for a short..er...uh...-anyway. It's like the guy that has the Superduty with the PSD, yet the only thing he hauls on a regular basis is the wife and groceries. How many of you know guys that own a pickup but never haul or tow? Heck, a new F150 will tow 9000 lbs!! Why get the Superduty? Because "I'm a real man, and I need a real truck" to go down to the coffee shop on Sunday morning for donuts. I know here in Michigan it's real common.
I worked at a Ford dealer for about 7-8 months a few years back and what you said can't be closer to the truth. Most of these guys who wanted (not needed) an F-250 or 350 had absolutely no need for the larger truck given what they were going to do with it. I sold maybe 4-5 of them where someone was towing something that NEEDED the larger frame, such as a 5th wheel or had 15,000lbs worth of trailer to tow. Most of them just thought a truck wasn't a truck unless it had a diesel under the hood, although most of them were quickly brought back to reality and ended up with a 150 once they saw the sticker on the diesels.

Old 03-22-2005, 12:30 PM
claw302
Senior User
I Would Have A Bought A 150 If A Diesel Were Offered.

Quick Reply: Cab-over semi's - why are they gone?