1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace your Super Duty Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by scurling
Thanks, the second seal did go in with no issues. I think it was the driver tool, I made. It needed a little more surface area to contact the seal. I cut it down so the contact area was greater.
My second axle seal (left side) is in good shape, so I'm keeping it.
I think the instructions should remind the user to check the disk brake backing plate orientation, BEFORE, bolting the hub together.....Doh,

I have done the same thing with the backing plate!

Old 06-12-2017, 07:08 AM
ekim17mr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi thanks for all the great info has anyone done the front inner axle seals ( inside the pumkin ) Im looking for the part number for those any help would be great! 2002 f350

Old 06-12-2017, 11:45 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by ekim17mr
Hi thanks for all the great info has anyone done the front inner axle seals ( inside the pumkin ) Im looking for the part number for those any help would be great! 2002 f350
I replaced mine about 4 years ago. I used Spicer 52148. About $20/each IIRC.

EDIT: New part number is Spicer 2019816. Same price.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:45 AM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
In the process of balljoints on 2001 f250 4wd.
Everything came out easy. Even the balljoints came out fairly easy.
Now trying to press in the new ones with the autozone balljoint kit and the additional Ford Add on. I still can't seem to press in the first balljoint all the way. The kit doesn't have a wider/shorter piece of pipe to get it done.
And it SURE helps to have a vise and an impact wrench. SO much easier.
I might just have a shop press the balljoints in all the way. or should I just spring for the press? lol. I'd like to buy it but I don't have much need for it after this job, I think

Old 11-12-2017, 11:54 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
I bought a 20-ton press from Harbor Freight for my balljoints, and I've used it countless times since then. Rear suspension bushings for my '97 Cougar, even little stuff that was tough to get apart. Just be careful.

If you have one near you, try to find a flyer from Harbor Freight with the 20% (or whatever) coupon. They might even have one on their website.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:57 AM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Krewat
I bought a 20-ton press from Harbor Freight for my balljoints, and I've used it countless times since then. Rear suspension bushings for my '97 Cougar, even little stuff that was tough to get apart. Just be careful.

If you have one near you, try to find a flyer from Harbor Freight with the 20% (or whatever) coupon. They might even have one on their website.
Thanks Krewat,

Wouldn't you still need the various metal pieces to make it work for balljoint pressing?

Old 11-12-2017, 12:05 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
I have a huge array of large sockets, pieces of pipe, old manual transmission gears and a bunch of other stuff that I use for pressing pieces. But Harbor Freight has that kind of stuff too. I think the press came with a few plates to place pieces on - or maybe I had to buy them, I don't remember.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:21 PM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
I have a huge array of large sockets, pieces of pipe, old manual transmission gears and a bunch of other stuff that I use for pressing pieces. But Harbor Freight has that kind of stuff too. I think the press came with a few plates to place pieces on - or maybe I had to buy them, I don't remember.
Ok. I found a video of a guy using the HF press. Is this the right way to do it ?
If you use the balljoint press kit you basically support the metal housing right around the foot of the balljoint. The way this guy does it you put a lot of pressure on the entire housing (top to bottom). Is that ok ?

Old 11-12-2017, 12:42 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
I wouldn't do it that way, matter of fact, I didn't do it that way. While he says it's "cast iron" and it's really not, it's forged, I still wouldn't put that much force into the knuckle itself.

Also, he's an idiot - he's not wearing eye protection. That right there should tell you something.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:46 PM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
I wouldn't do it that way, matter of fact, I didn't do it that way. While he says it's "cast iron" and it's really not, it's forged, I still wouldn't put that much force into the knuckle itself.

Also, he's an idiot - he's not wearing eye protection. That right there should tell you something.
Yeah, it's a bit sloppy. I can imagine something pop out and fly away with a lot of force.
So how would you push in a balljoint without pressure on the entire knuckle?

Old 11-12-2017, 01:02 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
On our Dana 50/60 knuckles the ball joins are pressed in from the bottom. Stand the knuckle upside down on the plates (plates arranged so there's a hole in the middle), use a 3/4" extension or pipe or tranny shaft, or something long enough and put it through the lower balljoint hole and use a socket. Press balljoint in. That's for the upper.

The lower, same idea, but get a big enough socket to receive the entire balljoint, and arrange it somehow to stand the socket on a plate with the knuckle sticking down through the "bridge" (not sure how to describe it) of the press.

Proceed with caution

Old 11-12-2017, 01:07 PM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
On our Dana 50/60 knuckles the ball joins are pressed in from the bottom. Stand the knuckle upside down on the plates (plates arranged so there's a hole in the middle), use a 3/4" extension or pipe or tranny shaft, or something long enough and put it through the lower balljoint hole and use a socket. Press balljoint in. That's for the upper.

The lower, same idea, but get a big enough socket to receive the entire balljoint, and arrange it somehow to stand the socket on a plate with the knuckle sticking down through the "bridge" (not sure how to describe it) of the press.

Proceed with caution
Ok, I think I understand what you are saying. So for the lower, the knuckle basically hangs partially below the bridge...

The 12 ton is on sale w HF, but not the 20. Looking for a coupon.

edit; found the 20% coupon, same ad !

Old 11-13-2017, 04:40 PM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
Thanks Krewat, you made me buy the 20ton press.. :-)
Can't wait to use it. Still need to put it together.
First press in the uppers, then see how to do the lowers. I don't think (not sure) the knuckle fits in between the lower 2 supports that the plates rest on. ? Will see. Might need to create some type of U shaped bridge to hold it.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:26 PM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
Put the press together. Pushed in the first balljoint. wow, this thing doesn't blink an eye doing that.!
Can't figure out how to do the upper. The knuckle doesn't fit in between the lower 2 bars...hmmm

edit: I did the lower first. They are pushed in from the bottom, the threaded part points up.
edit2: correction, pushed in from top...gets confusing

Old 11-18-2017, 08:40 PM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
alright, figured it out. I supported the top and bottom of the knuckle with a piece of pipe and a bolt with nut that sticks inside the pipe. I then tighten the nut so that the bolt acted as a support. I then pressed in the balljoint from the top. Worked excellent !
Already installed them back on truck. Axles are back back. new seals. lubed up the inner bearing. Took apart the hubs and lubed them up. Front diff new fluid. New rotors. flushed brake fluid. and a crapload more.

Quick Reply: How to replace your Super Duty Ball Joints