2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing out a stuck vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 02:58 PM
masterP
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing out a stuck vehicle

Greetings All:

With the recent snow and ice here in the Northeast, I’ve seen many cars that have gone off the road and gotten stuck on grassy medians, etc. With this powerful F150 5.4L FX4, I’m inclined to help out when safe to do so. I have a tow rope that I keep under the back seat, but since this is my first truck, I’m wondering what the proper procedure is. There are the two tow hooks on the front of the truck. Would one normally pull another vehicle using the front of the truck and going in reverse, or would I need to crawl under the back of the truck and hook the tow rope to the frame and pull going forward? I have the tow package, but I don’t have a hitch installed. I notice there is a place to hook safety chains, but I don’t imagine one should hook there when towing the full weight of another vehicle. Thanks for any advice…

Old 03-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Texascadillac42
Elder User
Without the hitch, I'd always pull off of the tow hooks up front. Should tend to make the front of the truck squat a little as you back up, which will aid traction when in 4wd.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Mr.BrrIce
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always hook up at the rear...It's better for the truck (any vehicle) because the reverse gear is so higeared. You could end up braking your tranny :/

Old 03-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Mr.BrrIce
Senior User
Buy a hitch ASAP

Old 03-09-2005, 04:32 PM
bdmcdonald
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can just use a hitch pin in the rear reciever and attach your tow rope / chain to that. Should pull out most cars no problem. You might even consider using low range if more than a little pull is required.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:12 PM
JS66
Junior User
Pulling from the front tow hooks is fine, that is why they are there. pulling in reverse is no worse than pulling in drive. Reverse is just as strong as drive . using low range is a very good Idea.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Texascadillac42
Elder User
Originally Posted by bdmcdonald
You can just use a hitch pin in the rear reciever and attach your tow rope / chain to that. Should pull out most cars no problem. You might even consider using low range if more than a little pull is required.
I was under the impression that he didnt have a rear hitch on his truck.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:40 PM
cajun04screw
New User
Towing from the front hooks is the best I've don't it many of times. Use 4 low like they said it has some good torque. If you don't have the tow hitch from the factory then you don't have the tow package.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:04 AM
blitzen25bm
Elder User
if you have the tow package just hook up your chain to the holes that is next to the hitch reciver. or you can go to a harbor frieght and get one for 10 bucks i got one with a drop just for protection from people backing into me.

Old 03-10-2005, 07:04 AM
toypuller
Senior User
First, don't use a tow strap. Use a recovery strap that has more stretch and will be less likely to snap and do damage to you, your truck or something else. Get one rated for way more than you will pull and treat it carefully. Always lay a blanket or jacket across it, or tie some towels along it every couple of feet to kill the snap back if it parts.

Second, practice pulling when conditions are good before you stop on a snowy highway and try to help.

Third, consider calling a tow truck instead. They carry insurance and equipment.

Don't take that the wrong way, I carry straps, shackles and chains just in case. I don't have a problem helping anyone who needs it, but have you tried to hook a strap to most cars on the road today? You have to weave it through or around plastic panels and bumpers that will snap in a heartbeat. It is even harder when you hand the strap to some clueless idiot driving a little ricer and tell him to put the strap on his car so you are not responsible for his damages.

If you are pulling another truck with a hitch or tow hooks that is a different story. However if he is already slipping and sliding you better have the tires to get him moving or you'll be next.

Bottom line: You have a brand new truck, you decide to be nice and stop to help someone. While pulling them out the strap breaks and shatters your grille, pushes your hood into a tent shape, dents both front quarter panels and breaks your windshield. The person you are helping suffers some similar damage and wants you to pay for it.

Was it worth it? It may never happen, but are you willing to take the chance?

If you are the only person that can help-go for it. If a cell phone can solve their problem-even better. If a ride home is what they need-Great, do it.

A good rule to live by: Don't get sued.

Last edited by toypuller; 03-10-2005 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:19 PM
DAThomas9
Junior User
^^^^^^^ OUTSTANDING advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Couldn't have said it better.

It's great to be a "nice guy", but it's even better to be a "nice guy who doesn't get sued or screw up his truck".

Old 03-10-2005, 01:35 PM
crecity678
Junior User
toypuller had some great advise. in addition to that when pulling from the front or being pulled from the front i always raise my hood, kinda hard to see, but id rather have a dented hood than a tow strap embedded in my forehead.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:21 PM
masterP
Freshman User
Thanks for all of the advice. It seems it can be a risky proposition to be a good samaritan these days. From now on, I'll limit towing offers only to stranded supermodels!

Old 03-11-2005, 10:17 PM
mkoser
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, i agree, just don't do it... but.....
If I am pulling someone out I like to attach the strap to the hooks on the front. This way I have a CLEAR visual of what is going on with the vehicle in front of me.
Also instruct the stuck motorist to feather the gas in thier vehicle, more often than not they jam the gas, catch some traction, and slam into you.

MK

Old 03-12-2005, 06:03 AM
Lashlaroo
Senior User
You have a reciever! you don't have an insert for the reciever. 2 inch square tubing fits into it. most automotive stores have inserts, At this point I would suggest purchasing a boat or camper!!! put your new truck to work in the summer as well. If you have no other toys to pull behind your truck I would get an insert with either a 1 7/8" ball or a 2" ball (Most popular) installed on an insert that has a 2" drop. About $25 in GA. If you just want to pull people out of snow banks in winter or a better all around insert, get a Pintle type. (C clamp or military) they hook up to a round ring on the trailer. some also have the common ball's installed on the lower half, (More $) Most recovery and tow straps have a loop or metal ring on the ends. Place the loop inside the clamp and close it. very safe not going to slip out and bust a windshield. on the broken windshield bent hood dented tailgate part. I have two each, 4 links of logging chain with a piece of rope tied to it. Tie the rope/chain to the tow/recovery strap on either side of the mid point. if the strap brakes or slips off of one truck it will fold over at the chain and not get near the other. a $2 investment, takes up very little room. Dont EVER allow someone to stand between your truck and the stuck one. example, 30 foot recovery strap, chain tied at 12' from each end. strap brakes and folds at the 12 foot point, anyone within 15 feet will get a knock out punch from the loose end. Last but most important. KEEP your tires on firm ground. if your strap will not reach them with you on the pavement say Sorry! can I call a tow truck for you. Tow truck operators love to show up at one location and make double money by pulling two out of the ditch. The person you tried to help will not pay to have you unstuck.

Quick Reply: Towing out a stuck vehicle