1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about chains

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 08:27 PM
Shepard
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about chains

With a F-350 and studded snow tires I don't often have to chain up, but when I do I have a question.

One place going uphill for 7 miles, I put the chains on the rear and have no trouble as long as I take it slow on the corners.

Coming down the same stretch, sometimes it feels like I would have better control if the chains were on the front. Or.. would the rear end tend to slip out if I did that? Maybe I really should have four sets for coming down the hill?

This truck seems like it would push through 4 feet of snow on level ground, so I never get stuck. Maybe because of the long wheelbase, it likes to slip to the side a bit if I am not careful. The speed I need to go on the downhill to maintain control, is a lot slower than most other cars want to go on the same stretch.

Thanks

Old 02-26-2005, 08:36 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
As for your last sentence. You have a lot more weight to control than do the cars. I sure would drive slower. You might meet them later when they go in the ditch. As for your first problem sounds like there isn't enough weight in the back end so it is actually breaking loose and probably sliding some. Try adding some bags of sand or salt in the very back just behind the wheel wells.

Old 02-27-2005, 08:04 AM
t_j82
Elder User
I would say that big red is correct, add about 300 lbs of sand. I put mine right over the axle and there it stays until spring. As for the chains, most everyone here chains all 4 if they need to chain at all otherwise you only have one axle with grip and if it is bad enough to chain you want all 4 working!
I am not a big fan of chains, I much prefer cables myself.... The biggest thing I can tell you is SLOW DOWN! That has to be the biggest mistake I see here with accidents and in the ditch vehicles. They think because they have 4wd it will do anything!
Yes, they will go up a hill/pull better but they go down hill and stop just like a 2wd car.

Old 02-27-2005, 10:14 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
When it comes time to chain up I install the front chains.
Most of the weight is in the front unless you are loaded.
Besides the front tires control where you go and most of your stopping power is there.
If the front goes, the rear will follow it.
When it is bad enough to chain up all four you will not have to worry about the cars, they will not be able to move.

Old 03-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Shepard
Elder User
OK - Thanks. I have quite a bit of weight in the back. Esp. with the shell. But, I can add more when we head up to the mountains.

I may get another set of chains, or I may try the chains on the front coming down the hill and see if that helps. The truck wants to slide sideways on corners and the front tires don't hold well on the downhill corners. That is why I am usually going slower than most want to go. You are right that it is a lot of weight to control, so slow speeds are smart anyway. These trucks get moving in one direction and the laws of physics just want to keep them moving in the same direction!

I notice that it is usually the much shorter wheel base SUV's and trucks that want to fly by me on the downhill. I never see them buried in the snowbanks, so I guess they have good control.

On the two wheel drive cars that pass me on the downhill, we OFTEN see them off the road later, even with chains!

Old 03-01-2005, 05:49 PM
utahtom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shepard,
I too run studded mud & snow tires but have also found siping really helps- In fact, I had my tires re-siped in January and it was a very noticable difference... Especially on slippery declines. BTW, at my local ski area, their SD's are chained in the front.

Old 03-02-2005, 12:54 AM
Shepard
Elder User
I have had the siping recommended to me. But because I drive quite a bit on gravel roads, (and our rock driveway), Les Schwab told me not to do it. I'll try the front chains if we get any more snow. Here in Southern Oregon we are really behind on snowfall this year, so may be next year before I need to chain up again.

Old 03-02-2005, 06:46 AM
t_j82
Elder User
Shepard, I can relate to the lack of snow thing, we are the lowest we have seen since the 1800's. They are now saying they are trying to figure out if this is the new "norm" for the northwest or if it is just a phase.

As for the siping, we live close to Glacier park and the Canadian border so you can imagine the dirt/rock roads we drive on not to mention that they use mini boulders for traction control when they "sand" the roads and most people do not have paved driveways. That being said I would not drive my trucks without siping period! Yes, a few rocks get trapped, so carry a small screw driver to remove them from time to time, I think the benefit really out weights the down side.

Old 03-02-2005, 07:25 AM
joedepilot
Senior User
siping is a new word to me. exactly what is it?

Old 03-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Shepard
Elder User
Originally Posted by t_j82
Yes, a few rocks get trapped, so carry a small screw driver to remove them from time to time, I think the benefit really out weights the down side.
Les Schwab told me that siping and driving on gravel or rocks chews up the tires real fast. Supposedly cuts the life of the tire way down. Just what they told me and they do try to sell siping otherwise.

Old 03-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Goose_Hunter
Freshman User
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I thought we should never chain up our super duty pickups in the front due to the close proximity of the brake lines. I have heard of people tearing the brake lines off with the tire chains which can lead to a much more dangerous situation than having to go slow.

-Goose_Hunter

Old 03-02-2005, 02:08 PM
cgl
Posting Guru
I usually only chain up if I'm towing a trailer (it's the law). I always put them on the rear, as do the rest of the people who go to the Sno-Park. Having chains just in the rear hasn't let me down yet, even while pushing snow with the bumper and grill and towing 2 sleds.
1990 F-150 Lariat 4x4 I-6 5spd RC SB
---Also in Family---
2003 F-250 XLT FX4 6.0PSD TSA SC SB
2001 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4 AT SC SB

Old 03-03-2005, 06:11 AM
t_j82
Elder User
Originally Posted by Goose_Hunter
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I thought we should never chain up our super duty pickups in the front due to the close proximity of the brake lines. I have heard of people tearing the brake lines off with the tire chains which can lead to a much more dangerous situation than having to go slow.

-Goose_Hunter
This is one reason I prefer cables to chains. Much closer fit to the tire, less chance of flopping and I think they actually grip as well or better.

Old 03-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Shepard
Elder User
Originally Posted by Goose_Hunter

-Goose_Hunter
So is this a legitimate concern? Certainly uphill or pushing through deep snow, in the rear would be better. Coming down a mountain pass where the only concern is keeping the truck in the right lane on corners, I have been told that chains in the front work better. Sure don't want to rip off the brake lines though!!

Old 03-04-2005, 05:22 PM
MRKnight
Elder User
Originally Posted by joedepilot
siping is a new word to me. exactly what is it?
Siping is when numerous small cuts are made at 90 degree angles to your tread blocks. The effect is more tire surface is on the ground at one time because when the weight of the vehicle is on a section of tread, the tread spreads due to the cuts. Les Schwab stores have a really good display to demonstrate siping if you get the chance to run by one. I now sipe every truck tire I buy, the difference is astounding especially in rain or ice.