Turbocharge?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 01:51 AM
schaef447
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbocharge?

I have a 1996 regular cab long bed F-250 with the 5.8 liter in it. This is my mudding truck that I take with me to events and thats it. I just put a custom 27 inch lift on it and have 38 inch super swampers on it, i was thinking about putting on a turbo/super charger to get some extra power out of it. The engine is in real good shape and I have rebuilt most of it myself. I was wondering If any of you have put or seen the addittion to a truck and knows how well it worked. Thanks for thought.

Old 02-26-2005, 07:15 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! If you have a minute check out the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand FTE.
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are pleased you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE
…..See you on the boards.

Old 02-26-2005, 09:54 AM
rksiewert
Junior User
Originally Posted by schaef447
I have a 1996 regular cab long bed F-250 with the 5.8 liter in it. This is my mudding truck that I take with me to events and thats it. I just put a custom 27 inch lift on it and have 38 inch super swampers on it, i was thinking about putting on a turbo/super charger to get some extra power out of it. The engine is in real good shape and I have rebuilt most of it myself. I was wondering If any of you have put or seen the addittion to a truck and knows how well it worked. Thanks for thought.
I have a 95 Bronco with the 5.8 efi. I bought a Paxton / Novi SN 93 Super charger off ebay last year which was made for this efi vehicle. The only difference between this and others is the piping that connects the intake to the supercharger. Base HP from the factory on 95 -96 is 240. The supercharger is supposed to add 100hp at the rear wheel. Adding other things like a high flow exhaust and cold air intake, bigger throttle bodies, etc, are good, cost effective ways to get the most HP for the buck. Are you staying EFI, or are you converting to Carb?

I have not seen any turbo packages for the ford V8 late model. I think the exhaust piping would be too difficult in the engine compartment.

Ray

Old 02-26-2005, 11:44 AM
schaef447
New User
Its a efi now, I would like to stay efi but if I found that I could get more power from the carbuerator I would use that as an option. I have not seen any turbochargers for that model engine either, I added a supercharger to my 2004 f-250 diesel, thats Why I was wondering if anyone has done it to that model engine.

Old 02-26-2005, 12:07 PM
rksiewert
Junior User
If you have an EFI, and switch to a carb for more power, you may get more headache than you bargained for. Everything that relates to the engine -air/ fuel mixture, timing, rpm, speed, etc., is run through the computer many, many times a second to give you max performance for that moment. If you take away all that stuff, and add carb, you can mess up temp regulation, fan settings, shift points, everything. IMO, if you want to swap to a carb motor, buy a crate motor and drop it in. Faster, warranty, built by ford, no PCM problems, huge HP, and quick.

Ray

Old 02-26-2005, 12:24 PM
'961506
Elder User
I would go with a twin crew SC, it would probably be best of that cuz you get instant power, unlike a turbo, which reqires a lil revving. Got any pics of your truck?

Old 02-26-2005, 01:23 PM
schaef447
New User
ya i have a few, i lost all of them off of my computer when i got a virus and they erased all of my files, but since im a new member i cant send emails yet, if you would send me your email address ill send u a few.