1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Dummy Oil Pressure Gauge Conversion???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 09:46 AM
Tiggie
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dummy Oil Pressure Gauge Conversion???

Does anyone know if it's possible to convert the factory dummy oil pressure gauge in my '95 2.3L Ranger to a real gauge? I was thinking I could use a sender from something like an '87 Ranger 2.3, put that sender in my truck, and have a real gauge. Is the gauge in a '94 2.3 a real or dummy gauge? Is there any difference in the threads of the oil pressure sender in a 4-plug opposed to an 8-plug head?
The sender is only like $8, so I am probably going to try it if no one has before. My only concern is screwing up my gauge, which is okay because I happen to have two extras lying around(don't ask why).
Any input is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-24-2005, 09:53 AM
amish77
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we all have a lot of spare parts around, I don't know about others but I don't know why either. Not sure what you mean by dummy gauge, weather it's just high/low and not numbers or what, but it seems like there weren't many changes betwen the 94 and 95 ranger. The older 80's version I would be careful about going near. The engines were quite a bit different in these years from the mid 90's motors. the after market gauges for oil sending units aren't that pricey, some for 30bucks or so. but if you've got the 95 lying around, I think it's worth a try.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:53 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have read that your gauge can be converted to be a real gauge. If you do a search here in the Ranger forum, you should find out the details on how to do it. I recall the person saying they used a sender from a 2.9 but I'm not sure what year it was other than mid 80's I think. There is also maybe a 20 ohm resistor that might need to be added or removed up by the gauge. Again, when you find the thread you will have the info.

Amish, Ford has been using dummy gauges for years now. They do not reflect nor suggest true engine oil pressure, but by design they simply reflect mid scale when there is about 7psi of oil pressure. Evidently Ford had too many people concerned about the fluxuating oil pressure.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:55 PM
grease monkey
Elder User
You should install a mechanical gauge they are more accurate. All you have to do it get a sending unit T adapter thread it into the sending unit hole hook up your old sending unit and the mechanical gauge so you can have both gauges. A mechanical gauge can cost between 20 dollars to 200 dollars.

Old 02-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bob Ayers did it on his 99 and had the details listed in a post but I can't find the link right now.

Old 02-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Tiggie
Laughing Gas
I found the post after about an hour of searching. For those interested, it is at: Oil Pressure Gauge Conversion
Thanks everyone for your input. I will let you know how it turns out.

Old 02-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Tiggie
Laughing Gas
I was just about to go to AutoZone, and I decided I better look to see if I could get to the sensor without many problems. Well, I'm glad I did. I found it, and the intake is pretty much totally in the way of getting it out(my truck is a 2.3L). Not to mention all the wires and stuff all jammed in that little area. Unless someone has an easier way to get the sensor out, i.e. not removing many parts, let me know. For now, I am calling this off until I can get to it easier.

Old 03-03-2005, 09:12 AM
amish77
Cargo Master
yeah, I think that all the motor companies are starting to deliberately put stuff where it is the biggest pain in the neck to get to. Like take a mazda engine for example. Anybody changed the oil on one of those bad boys? The stinking filter is right by the exhaust manifold, and to reach it you gotta get through that medusa's lair of wires you were talking about tiggie. I guess there's more than one way to get money from the parts department.

Old 03-03-2005, 06:14 PM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
Google search "dummy oil pressure gauge" and the website will come up.

Old 03-04-2005, 08:42 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
I made a note some time ago on this subject & it's a Sorrenson OPS71 seding unit from Advance Auto, to convert the idiot oil guage into a real panic guage LOL

Old 03-05-2005, 10:18 PM
goodbread
Freshman User
Hi PawPaw,
I have tried in vain to make this conversion. My 99 3L ffv had no resistor on the back of the instr. panel and I tried two sending units out of the list of eight on a Ranger website (Rnager Station, I think). Nothing worked. How is this Sorenson unit different from say TVI 60, Standard PS 60, Borg Warner S334/S330, Filko OP114, Wells PS4, etc. I'd love to make this improvement in my Ranger but have been frustrated so far.

Tiggie, please post your results...thanks mb

Old 03-06-2005, 09:24 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
I don't rightly know what, if any difference there is Goodbread, I had just copied the Sorenesen number last year from a thread on this site, in which Rockledge said he'd done it on his ride.

I did a search here on the subject & pulled up several threads most of which were in the diesel forum, one of which listed the one's you spoke of, but the Sorensen sendr wasn't on that list.

I remember Rockledge saying he couldn't find the 20 ohm resistor on his circuit board either, so he just used the sender as is.

Maybe he's coping the mail & will chime in with the details. Seems maybe later model circuit boards changed, as many guys like yourself aren't finding the 20 ohm resistor on the circuit board behind the oil pressure guage.

I havn't done my 99 4.0L yet, so I don't know what my board looks like. Will likely do it this spring though, maybe by then we'll all have some more details.

I hate it when a perfectly good guage is messed with like that. Heck back in the 40's & 50's EVERYONE who drove, was taught & knew how to read a changing oil gauge, why should the younger generation be less trainable????

All because of the introduction of the idiot light do you suppose???? Then we had several generations who were never taught how to think & interpet for themselves, just wait for that danged idiot light to turn on, to find out you have a problem, but by then it's all over isn't it, but the mfg's saved a bundle on not having to install guages, made a bundle replacing engines too.

Dang, pawpaw's rant on messing with a perfectly good guage.

Old 03-06-2005, 04:33 PM
goodbread
Freshman User
My sympathies exactly, pawpaw, geez, I never heard of an idiot guage until I bought the Ranger. We've certainly become a bit spoiled over the years. I've been driving since '66 and remember the good old days too. If I can find the sorenson pn around here, I'll gamble the few bucks and let you know.

Old 03-12-2005, 03:17 PM
dwill49965
Freshman User
I am read this thread, and others pertaining to the gauge with interest and have decided to put in a mechanical oil press gauge in my 94 2.3L manual 5 sp. I have been searching in vain in the Haynes manual for the location of the stock oil pressure sender gauge, to no avail. I recall hearing from somewhere (this forum?) that it is located under the intake manifold. Can anyone confirm this? Is it located in the cylinder head, or the block? Does anyone know if there is enough room under there to put in a brass tee fitting to run both gauges?

By the way, I mounted the gauge (Equus, 2 1/16") to the left of the panel vent (above the radio), since it was just a blank cover. Don't have perfect straight on vision of it, but it fits there nicely.

Darryl
94 Ranger
78 VW Westfalia
68 Firebird

Old 03-12-2005, 04:38 PM
Tiggie
Laughing Gas
The sensor on the 2.3L is on the cylinder head on the drivers side, towards the rear of the motor. It should be almost directly behind the last intake runner. The Chilton manual is much better in this area, and it even gives you a picture.

Quick Reply: Dummy Oil Pressure Gauge Conversion???