1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Aluminum radiator for my 55. any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 04:02 AM
55forder
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aluminum radiator for my 55. any suggestions?

Hello guys,
Well Im making some progress, and am about ready to re-attach my sheetmetal. Im looking at my stock radiator, and thinking a nice aluminum one would sure look nice up front. Ive checked a few different places, but they are trying to sell me one just like my original, and it seems to be a little on the pricey side.

I guess I was wondering about alternatives for the stock radiator. One that will fit my application, and one that will keep my truck cool as its always been.
Im running a 302 C4 combo. What are you guys running, and what can I basically bolt in without too much fabrication?

Ideas?
Suggestions?

Thank you,

Rich (55forder)

Old 02-24-2005, 06:45 AM
svooom
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi 55forder,
I know it's probabily not exactly what your looking for, but I just dropped in a aluminium radiator out of a '97 Ford Explorer. I got the idea from Purple55 and it fits great. I picked it up off ebay for $79 new in the box. It's the same rad they use in the 5.0L Explorers and since I'm running the same engine, it should keep it nice and cool. It doesn't look as nice as a custom built 3 core bare aluminium radiator but it does "freshen" up the engine bay.

My budget (or lack of) is forcing me to look for creative solutions to all my building needs and this one worked out great.

Good luck - Brad

Old 02-24-2005, 07:06 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Brad,

Can you give us some details on the Explorer radiator? What are the dimensions, thickness, and size/locations of the upper and lower hose outlets? I still have an open mind as to what I might use on my 48.

Vern

Old 02-24-2005, 07:25 AM
svooom
Senior User
I'm not sure how much this helps, but here are the specs for the one I bought.

I had to take off the "angle" brackets that were rivited to the radiator support and I had to make a cradle to support the bottom. I'll take some pics tonight and add them to my gallery. I would say it took me 2 hours of modifications and fabrication and about $10 in hardware parts to get the radiator to bolt up.

I also bought polished stainless radiator hoses to plum to the engine. It doesn't look like a million bucks but it will do until I win the lottery.

Old 02-24-2005, 01:47 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Pricing is all over the place. A griffin will cost 700.00 No A/T
No Limit 389.00 Who makes???
AFCO 459.00
Walker, custom order 550.00
US Radiator. 430.00
Personally, I think the exploder is the best bet for the dollar if there are bugetary concerns. I got lucky and found a sponsor that is using a US Rad and lazer cutting a pol S/S shroud with a Typhoon fan at cost to expose the set-up and to promote his street rod manufacturing business. It is the most awsome set up I have seen but is overkill.
P/S Alum is just about looks, Copper/Brass cools great and is affordable to most and is a bolt in. Just a thought.

Old 02-24-2005, 02:22 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Rich,

if you're still interested in the higher dollar option... go over to www.streetrodstuff.com and look at the PRC aluminum jobs. Dick makes a heck of a nice unit... yea, it's over 400.00 but guaranteed to cool your ride.. I posted some pics in a thread a while back on my install and there are also some pics on my website I think..... might be worth a look if you're going for an eye catcher...

radiator article

later
john

Last edited by jniolon; 02-24-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:48 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
John- I saw the article on radiator article. That is very nice looking radiator. I've always loved the look of the aluminum radiators particularly when installed in a street rod. Something about the simplicity of the radiator that stands out. The lines are clean and simple. Great job.

I've been trying to figure out what radiator to go with on my 56. My guess is I have a Ford truck radiator out of a 65-70 truck. It looks OK, but you can definitely tell it doesn't belong and the installation is pretty sad to say the least. I've been looking for an original (stock) radiator, but I don't really care for the upper tank on the originals, IMO they take away from the looks of the engine. Reminds of an old steam engine radiator or something. Buffing the tank helps, but you can't beat the look of the aluminum. I'm looking for options here also and like most everyone here am on a budget. I'd be interested in seeing the pics on the explorer radiator too.

Last edited by imlowr2; 02-24-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Purple55
Tuned
Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts
Check my gallery for a couple of pics.Let me know if you need more.

Old 02-24-2005, 10:46 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Purple- nice truck! great gallery also. I saw the pictures of the radiator. It looks like you have some modifications to do to get that radiator in there? What is the plate on top of the radiator? Did you fabricate that cover? I couldn't tell on the picture either, but are you running a regular fan blade? I like the modifications you made to the truck. Way to go.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:14 PM
55forder
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm,
Im not really into the look of the explorer radiator, and the beauty John has is just a little outside my range for now. Hmmmm, what will I do? Ah! The big3 auto swap is this weekend, Ill have to take a wallet full of $$ down there and see what we come up with. Frame mounted power brake setup is the 1st order of the day.

Decisions, decisions...........

Rich (55forder)

Old 02-25-2005, 12:47 AM
keith56_cruz_cab
Elder User
if your stock one is painted, buff off the paint the polished brass looks pretty good

Old 02-25-2005, 10:56 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
55 forder - There's always ebay! The explorer radiator may not be for you. I thought it looked pretty cool and was creative. The cooling from the aluminum radiator is above and beyond that of any 3-4 row radiator. The cost of the explorer radiator is much lower than one you'll find at a swap meet, or should I say one in good shape that doesn't need rebuilding from a swap meet. Check with Classic performance parts they have the brake booster your looking for. They run about $350.00. Good luck.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:37 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 55forder
hmmm,
Im not really into the look of the explorer radiator, and the beauty John has is just a little outside my range for now. Hmmmm, what will I do? Ah! The big3 auto swap is this weekend, Ill have to take a wallet full of $$ down there and see what we come up with. Frame mounted power brake setup is the 1st order of the day.

Decisions, decisions...........

Rich (55forder)
I just took a frame mount non powerbrake dual chamber MC off my truck when I changed to hanging pedals I'd be willing to sell, just add a booster and check valves for the type of brakes you have.

Old 02-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Purple55
Tuned
Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by imlowr2
Purple- nice truck! great gallery also. I saw the pictures of the radiator. It looks like you have some modifications to do to get that radiator in there? What is the plate on top of the radiator? Did you fabricate that cover? I couldn't tell on the picture either, but are you running a regular fan blade? I like the modifications you made to the truck. Way to go.
Thanks!
What plate? That aluminum is part of the radiator.The fan is just a plastic flex fan like I used to run on the race cars.They work well.
The only mods to the radiator were cutting the existing plastic mounts off and then making a cup type mount on the bottom.

Old 02-25-2005, 03:27 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
AX- I may be interested in your master cylinder. I already have a booster on mine, but my master cylinder is a single chamber and pretty old. Not sure if it will bolt up. I'm planning on installing the disc brake conversion from classic performance parts soon. Email me and let me know what you want for it. Thanks.

Purple- The picture was difficult to make out what the aluminum was. Did you have to remove the radiator support. It's that U thing that the original radiator fits in. I'm thinking about doing this one next. Thanks, you definitely need more pics to share with us bro. Smile!
imlowr2

Quick Reply: Aluminum radiator for my 55. any suggestions?