1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Weatherstrip Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 11:24 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Weatherstrip Question

Does anyone have a trick for getting the door weatherstripping to relax and form to the door opening. I installed it on my 51 two weeks ago and it changed everything. The rubber on the front pillar caused the passenger door to drag on the rear pillar. Someone sometime welded the inner hinge to the front pillar. So adjustment is out without a lot of grinding. The doors worked great till I installed the rubber now I just wish it would form to the contour.

Old 02-19-2005, 05:50 AM
Sore Knuckles
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't have any good answer for you, but sometime misery loves company. While I was assembling my truck,I took great care installing new weatherstripping after painting the doors. However, when I attempted to install the doors, they would not begin to fit. I adjusted, and shimmed and, laid with it until about 2:00 am until I finally got so frustrated I ripped it all off before going into the house and going to bed. I just have some "generic" foam weatherstrip on there for now. However, I've found a set that is designed as the original but is made a little smaller (not as thick). I believe it is offered by Mid-Fiftys Ford. If anyone has tried this smaller weatherstrip, a comment would be very helpful. Another thought you might consider, I know they recommend this for "relaxing" replacement door seals on refrigerators or freezers is to warm slightly in a clothes dryer prior to installing.

Clarence

Old 02-19-2005, 09:34 AM
jwcnj45
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the sameproblem on my F1 when using the stock replacement weatherstrip. I could not close the doors. I ended up using an all purpose seal made by Soft Seal and it worked fine. It is a half round design with a hollow center and is about 1/2" wide. I did use the stock weatherstrip on the front side of the door however. The combination of the two solved my problem for me.