Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Detached Steel Garage

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 06:14 PM
xlrs
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detached Steel Garage

Hello,
I'm thinking about building a detached garage on my property. Probably in the range of 25 x 40 feet. Anyone have suggestions on where to buy and approximatly how much it will cost?
I'm getting to danged old to work on my truck out in the cold.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
XLRS

Last edited by xlrs; 02-18-2005 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-18-2005, 07:10 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
There are a number of threads here with garage specs and steel building suppliers listed. There are also a number of contractors that post here that might give you some ideas. The best thing to do is check in the back of a "Popular Mechanics" magazine for steel buildings. Make sure you inquire about insulation. You can also contact local lumber yards and home box stores for prepackaged garage kits that can be set up by local contractors.

Old 02-20-2005, 12:35 AM
modeltford
Junior User
Don't know where you're at, but Lumbermans sells steel pole building kits, plus there's vendors all over the country for the steel. Plans are available on eBay very cheaply, and you can also find deals on buildings. Good place to start also is search for "steel building" or "pole barn" on the search engine of your choice!

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2005, 05:52 PM
romcjr
Freshman User
Thumbs up

Try STEELBUILDING.com,they let you design your garage online with the options you want.Then they price it delivered to your door.

Good Luck!I'm trying to get one myself.

Old 03-14-2005, 12:14 AM
midlf
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Torque1st mentioned this but I think it needs to be emphasized. If you have any idea you will want this building insulated determine before you buy it how that insulation will be installed. Some metal building are very difficult or expensive to insulate as they have no easy way to attach insulation and interior sheathing.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:28 AM
ronclark
Elder User
You might want to check with your local building code office for the requirements on a metal building. I know around here due to hurricane posibilities they require an engineer to design the slab footers and such and approve the building. Had a neighbor put in a metal shop building and the engineering costs plus slab and footer cost more than the building.

Old 03-14-2005, 04:36 PM
mantta
Posting Guru

84 Lumber sells garage kits in about any size you want. Everything is pre-cut for you and the plans come with it.

Old 03-15-2005, 06:02 AM
wiseguy
Elder User
I'm building a 42' x 60' x 14' Miracle Truss building right now, and am satisfied so far. Insulating this building will be easy because there are 2x6 purlins on 24" centers. Your best bet is to look around where you live and see what the different buildings look like. Some metal buildings are very utilitarian, while others have a more finished look. It all depends on what your needs are. If you want to save money, you could buy the metal framing and supply your own siding. My friend sided his building with vinyl siding to match is house. Check around, and you'll probably get even more ideas.

Old 03-15-2005, 01:32 PM
chiliviking
New User
I recently built a 40 x 80 by Mueller Inc. and when it was all done the cost of the building kit was only about 25% of the total cost and 75% was electrical, concrete slab, plumbing, overhead doors, etc. Keep that in mind as you plan your budget.

Old 03-16-2005, 01:36 PM
jackofalltrades
Posting Guru
Old 03-19-2005, 05:33 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although you guys have been giving alot of good information Here, Nobody has offered any cost, total cost of there buildings??

Old 03-19-2005, 04:23 PM
midlf
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who is gonna be fool enough to tell you what they actually spent vs what they told the wife they spent. If the true cost were ever discovered _ WHEW BOY I don't even wanna think about it!

Old 03-19-2005, 07:49 PM
mr. dave
Senior User
5 - 6 yrs ago, I built a 60x40x10 building. The cost of the bldg included the floor or slab, the building itself, and price varied with the amount and type of doors and windows. My cost was $25,500 and that included 2 walk doors, 7 windows, an 8' double car door and a 10' overhead door. The building was insulated and was a turnkey operation. I had to pay to have the site prepared and leveled, but was able to have that done on a "good buddy" deal. Good luck

Old 03-22-2005, 12:20 PM
jackofalltrades
Posting Guru
The shop I built, the one I posted in this thread, I did 90% of the work all by myself. Electrical, framing, permits, trucking, siding, interior, concrete,

~$11,000.

Old 03-22-2005, 03:14 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jackofalltrades
The shop I built, the one I posted in this thread, I did 90% of the work all by myself. Electrical, framing, permits, trucking, siding, interior, concrete,

~$11,000.

-Steve
Shoot Jack!!! and the one you built looks as good if not better than alot of one My friends have here in the Country in VA, they paid 4 times more for!!

Once Again!! Great Job!! I went out over the weekend and Measured the site-up for a 32 X 36' shop...the wife wants me to make it 10' deeper so she can have 10' of it!!! I told her Hell NO!!! she has the Damn House and every room in it, and a basement to boot!!

Russ

Quick Reply: Detached Steel Garage