General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Partitioning my hard drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 05:17 PM
woogs
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Partitioning my hard drive

I am currently running windows xp pro. and I just got a copy of Linux Suse 9.1,
I want to divide the hard drive and have both. does anybody know how to do this, or a website that could help.
thanks
woogs

Old 02-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't mean partition ?

It should have asked the partition question when you installed XP

Old 02-13-2005, 05:56 PM
woogs
Elder User
yeah I guess I meant partition, and I didn't install windows, my dad did. should I just re-install it and watch for it to ask me that?

Old 02-13-2005, 07:35 PM
mfilippa
Freshman User
Partition Magic (7.0?) is a nice software that will partition your hard drive without installing everything again. Your PC will have two partitions with Windows XP on the partition you choose.

Just checked, Partition Magic is now owned by Symantec http://sea.symantec.com/content/product.cfm?productid=1

You could get a free soft to do this, but be very careful. You could lose all data.

Also think that this could be very stressing to your hard disk. All data has to be relocated.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that you could find also a boot software to choose between Win XP or linux. It would be nice to make a partition disappear to the non-operating OS so each OS won't screw with each other.

Old 02-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
All user's have 60 minutes to EDIT their own posts.
10 minutes to edit the title

Old 02-13-2005, 10:26 PM
Chugalug
Elder User
I have 2 hard drives and am only using 4gb on one and nothing on the other, could I install Linux on the hard drive I don't use.
One hard drive was full so I installed another then got a virus after getting the hard drives cleaned I don't use number 2, and still have room on number 1.

Old 02-13-2005, 10:48 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, but a 4gb is a little small for a usefull linux install... Most places now sell hard drives pretty cheap, and they are very easy to put in... I'd go buy a new one (at least 20gb) and install your linux on it... If you aren't happy with SUSE try Mandrake, or Red Hat's Fedora Core. I use both, and am using FC pretty much all the time now.

Old 02-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Check with the Linux forums for help with this like:
http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/consult.shtml

You can make bootable partitions with Partition Magic.

Unless you know a lot about PC's, both hardware and operating systems you may want to rethink your Linux plans.

Old 02-13-2005, 10:56 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Linux has come a long way from what it once was.. Most of the hardware (minus a few wireless ethernet cards) is fully supported now.. Red Hat, and Mandrake both had windows users in mind when they built their packages. I haven't used SUSE so I don't know about them.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:42 AM
jclj2003
Senior User
with the linux setup you should be able to devide the drive but last time i did it was years ago when i was playing with linux and that is how i did it but i think you have to go though code to do it the only time i deal wiht linux now is when i fix my tivo bc tivo is linux based eather when i upgrade a drive or a drive fails me and to restore the image back or when hacking it

Old 02-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Chugalug
Elder User
My main drive with windows and all my other things are on a 10 gig drive and I have about 4 gigs of space left on it.
I also have a 40 gig hard drive that is jumped to the main drive with nothing on it but when the main drive gets full it starts using the second drive.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:10 PM
jasond5150
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've used PartitionMagic 8.0 to create a Linux partition with great success. I've also used fdisk but can be difficult to use depending on your comfort/skill level.

Fedora Core comes with the GRUB bootloader that will allow you to dual boot your machine. I'm not sure if SUSE comes with a bootloader, however.

Good luck and always back up your data before doing any type of partitioning. Have fun!

Old 02-14-2005, 03:34 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
What I do when installing various operating systems or just a Window's based one is to have two drives. One for the O/S and one for all the data. Some Window's programs do make it difficult to relocate data files to anything other then the default C: drive. There are ways around it.

This way to easily back up just your data all you have to do is copy or .zip all your data to a CD. To burn a CD (vs. file copy) of data goes much faster and easier with a separate HD.

If your O/S crashes and you have to reformat or reinstall the O/S, just unplug the slave drive, do what you have to the master drive, then once all set, just replug your slave drive in. Your data stays intact and the O/S will automatically recognise the new drive at reboot.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:52 AM
lcampbell
Elder User
Woogs, repartition the drive using partition magic 8.0. Resize the windows partition to not less than 3 gigs using partition magic, and if you use windows as the primary os you'll need a larger windows partition. When you install Suse, it will see the partition space available and you select that partition for Suse.

Old 02-16-2005, 12:52 AM
woogs
Elder User
success! . . . almost

thank yall for all the help. after a few hours of trying this evening I succesfully got my hard drive partitioned and both Windows and Linux running. but now I have no idea how to get back on the network (I'm on my dads machine)
my dad builds/maintains networks for a living and can help me with windows, but he knows nothing of Linux. what information should I ask him about our network to give yall enough information to help me get on there with linux? all I know is it's DSL, and wireless. ohh and we have a server (domain or something?)
thanks
woogs

EDIT: I did it by re-installing windows and partitioning the hard drive then.
then just booted linux from the CD and installed it on one of the partitions

Last edited by woogs; 02-16-2005 at 12:53 AM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: Partitioning my hard drive