Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Shaking the flu / sickness

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 04:43 PM
69 and 85
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Shaking the flu / sickness

Anyone else having trouble keeping everyone healthy this year? I have 5 kids at home and like clockwork.... somebody gets sick every 3-4 days. Only bad for one day and when we think all is clear, sure enough, someone else gets sick. I have been trying to get to Indiana since the first of the year to see my new grandson, but can't keep the bug away from everyone.

Normally we NEVER get sick!

sheesh!

Old 02-07-2005, 08:04 PM
nogo73
Posting Guru
Yeah I was sick last week. it stinks!

Old 02-07-2005, 09:53 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd give anyone this friggen migraine in exchange.... been here since Thursday, not getting any better... feels like my skull is burning on the inside with a vise on the outside...

Old 02-08-2005, 12:51 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We haven't been sick to bad this year but the wife has a cold nothing serious, and not bad for a woman that works at head start with all them sick kids.
BTW did notice that since they had the flu vac shortage this year there are less than half of the reported cases of the flu, and less than 1/4 the "normal" flu ralated deaths hmmm makes you wonder huh? If maybe the panic about it had more to do with "oh no if people don't get the vac they will realize how much they DO NOT need us,and it", adn less to do with helping people I have never, and will never take a flu vac. It's a modified live virus what does that mean? they are GIVING you the flu, and hoping your body will develop an immunity to it, whats wrong with this is you then become a carrier for it, and give the flu to everyone that comes into contact with you making them sick also talk about germ warfare. On top of that there are over 300 types of the flu, and yet the vac has no more than about 12 of them MAX in it, does anyone else find it amazing they find the 10 or so types that will be going around each,a dn every year, or maybe what is happening they are spreading it with these vacinations.
Ok off my soap box about the medical proffessions padding their own pockets
Hope you all get better soon

Old 02-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
I'm behind you on that. The one year I got the shot, I picked up some bacterial infection in my lungs because my system was already weak from the shot. I've heard the worst time for viruses is when the temp is between 32-40 degrees. I've also heard there is no such thing as the 24 hr flu - its food poisoning (not sure I believe that though).

Old 02-08-2005, 12:59 PM
69 and 85
Elder User
Wierd thing is it's like the kids are bring home a variety of sickness from school or something. Most of us barfed, some like crazy others luckily just once, some had stomach aches, some fevers, etc. It was like no one has had the exact same set of symptoms. ANYWAY, last round was yesterday.... BTW the very first one to get sick was my 9 month old (the only one who got a flu shot).

Stay well everyone!

Old 02-11-2005, 01:17 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife is a nurse and she hardly ever gets sick, but she carries the germs home to me and the kids... then this dumb office I work in, nobody stays home when they're sick and we all get it...

As soon as you get a warmer day (upper 40's, low 50's), turn your heat off and open the windows... don't know if that's scientific or a fish story.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:52 PM
69 and 85
Elder User
Should be 40's tomorrow- opening the windows can't hurt.

I should be buying Lysol stock considering how much we have been spraying it! Prob wouldn't hurt to get some of it out of the house too. I am ready for spring.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:08 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have my doors open today, I don't know how warm it is but it sure seems nice out there and the fresh air sure feels good

Old 02-12-2005, 04:49 AM
fordloverf2501970
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sickness is caused more by the brain then the body.
YOUR body is a badazz virus killing machine. there is not much that can attack and not be killed withen a few minutes. not counting of course aids herpes etc etc. The problem with getting sick is in your head. Yes your brain causes you to get sick. you feel cold or icky or snezze etc etc and you tell yourself " oh i am getting sick " and sure enough the next day you are achy and sick. and even though the commen cold would only last a few days you keep telling yourself all week " i am sick " and then you say " i think its the flu " then of course " i feel like i am going to die " So in turn your own brain acts on instructions from your mouth and makes you feel like what you said..
people people people this has to stop. I am almost 40 years old, i work out in the cold, rain, snow etc everyday, i go from cold to hot to warm to cold etc etc all day long. I havent had the slghtest sickness or even the sniffles in 12 years. I used to be like you people are, cold here flu there headaches here etc etc until i read a study at berkly. good body health thru postive thinking...
it convinced me to try it, when i feel the slightest sickness coming on i tell myself that when i wake up in the morning i will feel great and will not be sick. It works, you just have to beleive in it. have an open mind and try it. what do you have to lose.? i can tell my body to sleep and to wake up. i havent used a alarm clock for the last 8 years. and i dont get up at a regular time because i am a truck driver. think me a little strange or say yeah right or i am nuts etc etc but i got my family doing the same thing now and you wont see us spending money on cold pills cough syrup etc etc, granted my kids are kids and they still get sick sometimes but i cant remember the last time they had to stay at home from school because of anything. give it a try.

Old 02-13-2005, 08:57 AM
69 and 85
Elder User
I don't disagree.... there are times low tolerence and giving in makes ppl "sick". I have only missed 1 day in almost 12 years at work due to me being sick. I don't use an alarm either and am always up before or within 5 minutes of when my alarm "should be set". On the otherhand, there are ppl who show up to work with slime running out their eyes, nose, etc. when nobody wants them there.

This winter was different for us... since we eat as a family and only one person sick at a time, etc. I doubted it was from food. With most of us going to bed fine and waking up sprinting for the bathroom throwing up, I really don't think those times were "weakness of the mind"

Fortunately we've all been healthy since my last post.

No offense to those with health issues. It has taken a ton of tests to fix an issue my wife has had for 30 years.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
I always tell my wife the best way to keep from coughing is to just not cough. Seems I'm the one that gets sick the most. But, I'm in contact with more sick people in bad conditions.

Old 02-17-2005, 12:58 PM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
Well, I picked up soome kinda virus last night and I'm feeling it today. Not really enough to even slow me down, but I don't plan on eating anything today! I know how I got it too.
[RANT] I had no less than 3 people come up to me last night at work and start conversations with me and then tell me they felt lousy or sick or whatever for the last day, 2 days, 5 days, etc. One of them gets close to me cause they aren't talking very loud and proceeds to tell me how sick they feel, looking for sympathy. What they get is a dirty look and me telling them the same thing as anyone else that pulls this BS with me:
"No offense, but if your sick, get the **** away from me! Why don't you go home?!" as I'm walikng away in disgust.
If your sick, fine, but don't expect me to want to share! And if you feel bad enough to complain about it, stay home! At least keep to yourself as much as possible. If I have go to work sick, I keep to myself and warn those I must deal with - common courtesy! [/RANT]

I'm working at home alone today, so I had no one to vent on...

Old 02-17-2005, 02:28 PM
69 and 85
Elder User
Hey All. I appreciate all the posts here. I think all make good points. I was going to let the conversation die, but since it is still active..... my 10 month old was up a number of times lastnight and has thrown up 3 times in the last 5(?) days. My (almost) 3 year old threw up twice in the same time frame. I'm not looking for sympathy and I won't show up at your work. Just a little awestruck on how my "we never get sick" family keeps getting something. Just one of those mysteries in life I guess!

Old 02-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
At work - UPS, We've run out of people to cover drivers that have gotten too sick. One more guy gets sick and there won't be anyone that can replace them! Even the backup guys are out sick! Flu has been real bad around here - it takes alot for most of our drivers to miss work - tough crew. One guy said didn't know if he'd be in today, because last night on the way back to UPS he started seeing things!