1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

87 Wiring diagram/pin out????

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 09:54 AM
HiDesertRat
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool 87 Wiring diagram/pin out????

The truck is a 87 Ranger 4 X 4, auotmatic with 2.9L engine. Need to get it smogged and the Emiss light will not come on during the initial key turn. I should come on for three seconds and than go off. The seat belt light works.

I took the instrument cluster out last night and found there was no power getting to the EMISS light. Checking the connectors on the back of the instrument cluster, there are two which connect to this light.

There is a black connector on the left (as you sit in the truck) which has two Red wires with a yellow stripe on them connected to pin 11. The other connector is located on the right, is brown and has a yellow wire with a black stripe connected to pin 5.

I need to know where these two wires go to and am unable to find a wiring diagram for this truck. I would assume one of them will go back to the computer, but haven't looked yet...it got dark and cold. Where is the computer located? Thought I would ask while here.

What would cause this light not to work, if all wiring is good? Computer??
What voltage should be on here? 12VDC?
Is there a way to check the Computer other than replacement?
Am I overlooking anything? Just got the truck, so could have the past owner disconnected something to prevent the light from coming on, so he could sell it? You something that would have been easy for him to disconnect, to get the light to go off, if it was lit all the time!?!?!?

If there is a good site with wiring diagrams, that would be great!

Thanks,

Need to get this fixed as soon as I can, so any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-02-2005, 03:34 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
I'm the original owner of my 87 Ranger & there is no emissions light on the dash.
See page 25 in your owners manual.

Is it possible that the PO swapped in a panel from an 88 or newer Ranger which did have the light?

BTW, the best bet for wiring diagrams is the Ford "electrical & vacuum troubleshooting manual" which I have for mine. 20 bucks from www.helminc.om

Old 02-02-2005, 04:43 PM
HiDesertRat
Mountain Pass
Question

Not the orginal owner, and haven't seen any others up close to be able to check them out.

Anyhow, in the center of the instrument cluster you have several lights?!???

There are spaces for lights, however not all are used. Hope this will make sense to you.

If I start at the bottom, right side: there is the "Check Oil" light. Directly above that is "EMISS", above that "LOW RANGE", above that, "REAR ANTILOCK (not used), above that, "BRAKE".

Starting at the bottom, left side: "CHECK ENGINE" (not used), above that, "Water in Fuel" (not used), above that, "4 X 4", above that (blank spot), above that, "Seat belt" (picture).

I was told that the EMISS light should come on for three seconds. If not, let me know. I don't have an operators manual, it would probally tell me in there what each of the lights were for.

What lights do you get when you first turn the key on?

If it isn't supposed to come on, than I just got done tearing my dash apart for nothing! Oh well, I did learn a few things while doing it...

Old 02-02-2005, 05:19 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
If it matters, mine is a 2 WD XLT & in the center of the IP I have low oil level at the botttom right
Top left is seat belt light, top right is brake light
In the tach housing there is low oil pressure & charge light.

I always have mine smogged at Gearharts Garage in Lake Elsinore, good folks to deal with & they have never mentioned any nonsense about it not having a check emisions light.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:54 PM
HiDesertRat
Mountain Pass
Red face Getting closer

I believe we have the same truck, yours is 2WD and mine is 4WD.

If you have the owners manual, could you please check to see if it mentions the "EMISS" light. You probally have one, but it has never lit so you don't know it is there. I didn't know it, until I pulled the dash apart. I am just wondering now, what causes it to light.

Thanks

Old 02-02-2005, 07:02 PM
thesaintoc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an '86 calif. 4 cyl and searched for an emissions check light that was never there. Its one more advantage to driving an old beater.

Old 02-03-2005, 01:44 AM
87 XLT
Postmaster
well, heres a surprise, I took a closer look at the owners manual & it does mention that "certain vehicles are equipped with an emiss maintenance warning light.
The light is just above the low oil level warning light & will come on for 2 seconds & then turn off when the truck is started.
At approx 60,000 miles the light will come on & stay on to indicate that routine emissions control device maintenance is due to be performed.

I took a look at the warning light wiring diagrams in my EVTM & theres no mention of the emiss light. So theres probably not very many trucks that had it.

Like I said the place where I take mine for emmisions tests has never said a word about my truck not having an emiss light.

Find a GOOD independant shop that also does emissions testing & take it there.

Just curious, but the last time I had mine smogged they had a new deal where they run the truck on a treadmill & test it under load at 30 MPH. Are they doing this in the "high desert" also? I'm guesssing that you are in Palmdale area.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:22 AM
HiDesertRat
Mountain Pass
We haven't gotten to the treadmill test point yet up here. We are 40 miles East of Palm Springs on Hwy 62.

I don't think all the EMISS lights work the same. I have one, but it doesn't come on when I first start the truck.

I looked at a wiring diagram (2001 Mitchell Repair) and it is connected to a "Estended Useful Life & IMS Sens." Not sure yet, if this is supposed to turn it on for 2 seconds or not.
If your guys haven't given you a hard time on it, maybe there is something in the smog manual that addresses this.

Supposed to get with the guy today sometime and see if we can get a answer on this.

Thanks for you help. I will get back to you when I find out more.

Old 02-03-2005, 04:46 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Glad to hear that you dont have the treadmill. The last time I had mine smogged the guy told me that some vehicles that would pass the old test are failing on the treadmill.

Keep us posted on what you find out about that silly light. Good luck with it.

Old 02-04-2005, 02:35 PM
HiDesertRat
Mountain Pass
Thumbs up Much ado about nothing!!

Well, as I dug deeper into this. I found that the light isn't suppose to come on. So was able to that the truck in to have it smogged and it passed with flying colors. Had to get a new gas cap as it had a Nissian cap on it, not sure if it really made a differance, but was tired of fighting to get it smogged.

So now I am happy and the governor is happy.

I do appreciate your help. Now I am going to see if I can determine if this truck has 143K on it or just 43K.

Old 02-04-2005, 03:14 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Good deal, glad to hear that all is well.

BTW, an 87 Ranger with 143K on it is only nicely broken in. I've got 223K on mine & it's still running very strong & the 2.9 liter & manual trans have never given me any problems. I think the Amsoil synthetic engine oil & gear lubes that i've ben using in the engine.trans & diff since it was new are really paying off.

Good luck with the truck.