Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller & Reese Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 05:05 PM
TPop
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller & Reese Hitch

I am a newbie I am stepping up and purchasing an excellent conditioned 2003 SD 6.0L PSD CC SB Lariat. I am using the unit pretty much to pull a 32ft 5th wheel weighing in at 11,500lbs. Hence the used purchase. I have decided to go with the Reese 16K Kwik Slide hitch.

My Q: Is on the brake controller. If I get the Reese hitch can I get the Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller to match up with it, or am I better of to just leave things all Reese, and just buy their brake controller.

After doing various reseach: the majority like the Reese Hitch, and the Prodigy Brake Controller, but I can't see anywhere where someone is using both.

Your replies and comments are greatly appreicated.

Old 01-31-2005, 06:15 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Get the Prodigy. You'll be happy with it. Hit<!>ches and bra<!>ke cont<!>roller's don't need to be matched by brand.

Welcome to FTE and thanks for joining us in the Towing forum!

Old 02-01-2005, 02:59 AM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As Horsepuller said, the hitch & brake controller don't need to be the same brand as there is no interaction between the two.

I have a Reese hitch & a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller. Been using this combo for years with no problems. However, I'm thinking of upgrading to the Prodigy controller. From what I've read, they're pretty nice.

Congrats on your "new" truck & RV. Be sure to check out IRV2.com and trailerlife.com for info on your coach and camping in general.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:22 PM
tbax46
Senior User
prodigy & reese

I have a prodigy and a 16K reese. Been using it for two years. The prodigy is great. I set it two years ago and haven't touched it since and I made all kinds of stops.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:23 PM
newnamlawn
Freshman User
I vote for prodigy all the way. I love mine and haved tried several different brands.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Cowboy Brett
Elder User
Count me in for the Prodigy. I've gone cross-country with mine five times now, and I've never had to tune it outside of initial leveling. It is a superb unit.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
Prodigy for me too

Old 02-01-2005, 10:30 PM
DOGINIT
New User
I have a Tekonsha Prodigy in my 04 6.0 SD. I made a small aluminum bracket to mount it bottom center of the dash. It required no holes to drill or modification to the dash. If you want, I will send you a photo.I

Last edited by DOGINIT; 02-01-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:49 PM
TPop
New User
Yes that would be great. What model of the Prodigy did you get?

I've heard that the units can be hooked up the hitch or bumper. Any preference?

Old 02-01-2005, 10:55 PM
DOGINIT
New User
Send me an e-mail @ doghouse@pacbell.net and I will return a photo.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:12 PM
TPop
New User
I can't post an e-mail address or PM an address until you have 15 posts. You need to put the pic's in your gallery for all to see.

TPOP

Old 02-02-2005, 03:06 AM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Before going on with this discussion, I'd like to recommend that you search the forum for information on weight ratings. You didn't say whether you have an F250 or F350. If it's an F250, you are probably going to be over the GVWR when towing. From what I've read in the various RV forums, several Canadian Provinces are getting VERY strict about enforcing their laws concerning overweight vehicles... especially RV-ers. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 02-02-2005, 03:25 PM
TPop
New User
The unit I am pulling 11,500lbs fully loaded. So the F250 shouldn't have any problems
pulling that with the 5th wheel in place. The F350 would only add few extra hundred pounds
of pulling wieght from what I've researched, as the suspension is geared for little more in the F350's.

Old 02-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Delawhere?
Senior User
[QUOTE=
My Q: Is on the brake controller.
After doing various reseach: the majority like the Reese Hitch, and the Prodigy Brake Controller, but I can't see anywhere where someone is using both.

Your replies and comments are greatly appreicated. [/QUOTE]

I Have had the Reese slider for 2 yrs. also and had both the Tekonsha Voyager, and the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controllers. I definitly like the Prodigy for its simplicity and as others have said, you set it and forget it! It just works and you should only have set it up and make a power adjustment for the brake power, but the controller levels itself.

The only thing that you may need to be aware of, is the Prodigy does not work on trailer brake systems that have Electric over Hydraulic. The Prodigy works only with Electric brake systems found on most RV's. I have a newer 05 fifth wheel and it has the Electric/Hydraulic brake system and I had to go back to the Tekonsha Voyager controller, since it is recommended for this type. Happy Camping!

Old 02-02-2005, 07:17 PM
DOGINIT
New User
Photos of Prodgity installation

TPOP
The Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forum will not allow me to send you the photos.

I have sent them a message for help. I click on "Insert Image" and it gives me "Enter the text to be Formatted". \

Hope they will get their act together.

Quick Reply: Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller & Reese Hitch